Dish 508 DVR questions

nissan4x4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Hey just bought a 508 off of ebay, and was wondering does it pause a rewind live tv like the 510? And also read somewhere someone added a 510 hardrive to a 508? a link would be appriciated. And also i guess Vod is totally dead for these receivers? thanks

The only difference between the 501, 508 and 510 is the capacity of the HDD (40GB/80GB/120GB) and that the 501 and 508 are grandfathered for no DVR fee.

Yes, just like a 510. And it is grandfathered, so no DVR fee. Yes, VOD is dead on these. I'd get it activated soon. Because it does not support 8PSK, and Dish is expected to remove all non 8PSK receivers from service next year. They'll probably offer you something by way of upgrade, but I suspect it will come with the monthly DVR fee.

I have one, and don't want another receiver with a DVR fee. Probably oughta sell it, but I wonder what the offer will be.

On edit: Slow typist, Boba beat me to it.

it works the exact same as the 510, just has a 80 gig hard drive instead of a 120.
to use a 120 gig drive (there are only a hand full that will work) in that unit you would have to write the correct sectors to the new drive or jtag it with virgin firmware to marry the drive.
if you would like a list of drive that will work let me know and I will dig it up.

Why i ask is because i have a 510 a friend gave me, and told me i could have it but it does have a balance on it so its pretty much good for parts.:) anyways but i would be interested in the drive swap from a 510 to a 508. thanks

i would be interested in the drive swap from a 510 to a 508.
Unfortunately the drives are married to each box, so you can't even swap identical drives and get it recognized by the target receiver. Recommend joining the Yahoo group dishmod to see if you want to attempt this. If you do it yourself, you will need to jtag your receiver, install virgin firmware, and then let it marry itself to the new drive and update to the latest from the satellite data stream. Ugh. Or you can buy the disk marriage service from a guy (on dishmod) who reverse- engineered the Dish algorithm.

Lotta effort for a receiver that will be pulled from service next year (probably). Since it isn't 8PSK capable, and Dish is moving to all 8PSK to reclaim bandwidth, they may offer to replace a 508 in service with a new, more capable receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)