Dish 510 DVR-need to replace

wildmustang2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
KY
I have a dish 510 DVR that is broken and I need to replace it. I have a standard def contract. Should I look for another 510, get a 512 or something else? I read that the 501 & 508 are being obsoleted. Is the 510 soon to follow?

Yes. The tuners in all 3 receivers cannot demodulate 8PSK transmissions, so they (along with the 301 and all legacy receivers) are being swapped out with newer models that can.

What type of TV(s) are you using? If one of them is HD, then go for a HD dvr. If you go paperless auto billing, you will get HD for free. The new whole house HD DVR (Hopper/Joey) is being released tomorrow.

If you plan to be with Dish for at least 2 years, there is no benefit to purchase. You pay the same monthly fees.
Contact one of the Dish Internet Response team (DIRT). Their names are in Red. You can see who is online at the very top page of the forums

Sounds like a 512 for the short term. They'll be swapping those out too, in the not too distant future. Certainly wouldn't buy. If you insist on buying, buy a ViP211K. It will do SD & HD, will only cost about $100, and will future proof you for a number of years. And, if you want it to be a DVR, you can attach a EHD and pay a one time $40 fee to Dish.

I can see the 512 being around for awhile. It has the same internals as the 522 and 625. But if your gonna purchase a SD DVR go with the 625 in single mode. It has the largest hard drive. And I've heard that you can purchase any sd receiver for $50
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

I have a dish 510 DVR that is broken and I need to replace it. I have a standard def contract. Should I look for another 510, get a 512 or something else? I read that the 501 & 508 are being obsoleted. Is the 510 soon to follow?

If you want details on us sending a replacement receiver (would be a 512), please send me a PM with your phone number or account number

Would dish replace the 510 I have now even though I own it? Also, I know that the 625 is a dual tuner dvr. How do you use it in single mode? And does dish charge for the additional tuner even though I am only using one?

Would dish replace the 510 I have now even though I own it? Also, I know that the 625 is a dual tuner dvr. How do you use it in single mode? And does dish charge for the additional tuner even though I am only using one?
Owned 510 would be replaced with owned 512. 512 is really a modified 522 and still has dual tuners.

The 512 is really a 522 locked into single mode. Fees are the same as for your 510. And as boba said, owned is replaced with owned.

Hopper ordered! Not without issues.

Whole Home RF Modulators

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)