Dish 5G internet????

bigbyrd4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
St. George, SC
When the techs were at the house Tuesday one of them mentioned Dish was going to be offering 5G internet service. He did not have a time line for the roll out.

I live in the boonies (30 miles to the nearest Walmart in all four directions) and we use Verizon for our internet service. Verizon has a 15GB limit before they throttle you back. We are only about a mile from a Verizon tower but still get a lot of buffering if we try to stream anything. We had an old WiFi set up with Verizon that used an antenna to pick up the signal and I "upgraded" in February for one that doesnt need the antenna. it is nowhere near as good as the old one. I have not been able to get back into a Verizon store since then to get my old one turned back on due to the cootie bug and when I do it will void the 2 year commitment for their WiFi.

If Dish is going to be coming out with a 5G system any time in the near future i will get Verizon to turn my old WiFi back on and i will live with it until then. I don't want to go to regular satellite internet because none of them offer anything better than what i have.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When the techs were at the house Tuesday one of them mentioned Dish was going to be offering 5G internet service. He did not have a time line for the roll out.

I live in the boonies (30 miles to the nearest Walmart in all four directions) and we use Verizon for our internet service. Verizon has a 15GB limit before they throttle you back. We are only about a mile from a Verizon tower but still get a lot of buffering if we try to stream anything. We had an old WiFi set up with Verizon that used an antenna to pick up the signal and I "upgraded" in February for one that doesnt need the antenna. it is nowhere near as good as the old one. I have not been able to get back into a Verizon store since then to get my old one turned back on due to the cootie bug and when I do it will void the 2 year commitment for their WiFi.

If Dish is going to be coming out with a 5G system any time in the near future i will get Verizon to turn my old WiFi back on and i will live with it until then. I don't want to go to regular satellite internet because none of them offer anything better than what i have.

You are years away ( if ever) from any 5G service, specially where you live ( boonies ), StarLink will be up and running well before, but still a year or 2 away.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
I thought 5g was going to be first applied to runnng autonomous vehicle networks.

Now 5g is undergoing conspiracy theory and they'll be pushback to putting the units in the neighborhood. Stupid, but if some competitors wanted to thwart it, paying shock jocks to say this would be one way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I thought 5g was going to be first applied to runnng autonomous vehicle networks.

Now 5g is undergoing conspiracy theory and they'll be pushback to putting the units in the neighborhood. Stupid, but if some competitors wanted to thwart it, paying shock jocks to say this would be one way to do it.

Been trying to get on a waiting list from every major company for a autonomous vehicle ....still no luck!

give em 5 or 10 years to build out the system
rural areas will of course be last

give em 5 or 10 years to build out the system
rural areas will of course be last

Proximity is the main problem for 5G and there is no way Verizon, AT&T and the like are going to pay for a build out to service a few homes, Cell Towers, Repeaters and running fiber to them costs money and they cannot make it back on so few customers.

Once again for Rural Areas, Star Link is your only hope.

Proximity is the main problem for 5G and there is no way Verizon, AT&T and the like are going to pay for a build out to service a few homes, Cell Towers, Repeaters and running fiber to them costs money and they cannot make it back on so few customers.

I don't know that I'd say Starlink is the "only" hope as other technological advances come along, but at this point in time, I'd certainly say it's the "best" hope for high speed rural broadband service.

Reactions: TheKrell

Ha! You are right about that. They can't even afford to deploy DSL. And where they did it 10 years old and they won't upgrade it.

there are other possibilities for rural areas.
if they have an electric coop, some coops are getting into the fiber business.
right now mine is taking a member vote for it.
if it passes, and it should, they will start installing ftth in january/february

Just call Elon.
Nope no list not even people who are disabled...Any company that figures that out will really get a boost...I dont think the average person could even imagine not being able to drive!...Buses, walking in rain,snow,heat

Nope no list not even people who are disabled...Any company that figures that out will really get a boost...I dont think the average person could even imagine not being able to drive!...Buses, walking in rain,snow,heat
As much as I favor autonomous vehicles, I think we're still quite a ways away from seeing widespread public use. There are still significant technical limitations that need to be overcome yet. Fog, rain, and snow for instance, are pretty challenging for the current sensor technology and must be managed for obvious reasons. The dedicated AI's are learning new tricks daily, but they'll need to prove themselves extremely trustworthy before wide spread public acceptance will begin to take hold.

Reactions: DWS44 and AZ.
The dedicated AI's are learning new tricks daily, but they'll need to prove themselves extremely trustworthy before wide spread public acceptance will begin to take hold.

You can thank the media for that. Autonomous vehicles can't even be in an accident that isn't their fault without condemnation of the whole system. But when they report on an accident between two human operators, how often do they report which driver was at fault?

Reactions: osu1991 and AZ.
You can thank the media for that. Autonomous vehicles can't even be in an accident that isn't their fault without condemnation of the whole system. But when they report on an accident between two human operators, how often do they report which driver was at fault?

I don't disagree that the media unduly plays up the rare accidents, but I suspect the general public is suspicious enough of the technology anyway that it will take a major PR push to overcome it. The small AI bits and pieces like automatic braking, lane monitoring, etc, that car manufacturers are adding to existing accepted cars will go a long way towards building that trust over time, but it will be a slow process to reach full autonomy...

Reactions: DWS44
You hit on part of my point....If they could get those vehicles in the hands of the disabled and get some good PR, instead, someone walks in front of one, and its the headlines.....I have emailed every company and no one ever answers back....Quite disappointing....And Elon was bragging last week that he will have a fully AI vehicle by years end....Then you chat with them, and no help?

I just wish I could get on a waiting list....thats all

there are other possibilities for rural areas.
if they have an electric coop, some coops are getting into the fiber business.
right now mine is taking a member vote for it.
if it passes, and it should, they will start installing ftth in january/february
That's very interesting.My electricity also comes from a co-op(VEC) and I also got a survey.Some money must be getting thrown their way (perhaps in the form of tax breaks) for 2 co-ops in different parts of the country to be doing the same thing.
What I'd really like to see them offer is the Tesla back up battery technology for when the power goes out.One of the bigger VT utilities offer it at a substantial discount.In return they have the right to suck power back out of the battery during peak conditions-like a heat wave.I understand there is quite a waiting list.

That's very interesting.My electricity also comes from a co-op(VEC) and I also got a survey.Some money must be getting thrown their way (perhaps in the form of tax breaks) for 2 co-ops in different parts of the country to be doing the same thing.
What I'd really like to see them offer is the Tesla back up battery technology for when the power goes out.One of the bigger VT utilities offer it at a substantial discount.In return they have the right to suck power back out of the battery during peak conditions-like a heat wave.I understand there is quite a waiting list.
heres some info

Reactions: tanman
heres some info
Interesting read.Reminds me of an article I read about Frontier Communications(phone company in financial trouble).The jist of that article was basically Wall Street has become so focused on short term profits that companies(like Frontier)can't make the needed massive investments in fibre etc that is needed for long term profitability.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Interesting read.Reminds me of an article I read about Frontier Communications(phone company in financial trouble).The jist of that article was basically Wall Street has become so focused on short term profits that companies(like Frontier)can't make the needed massive investments in fibre etc that is needed for long term profitability.
but coops are not for profit
any profit they may see is typically returned to the members.
its a different animal

Reactions: tanman and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)