Dish 6000 8vsb vs. Samsung STB for local HDTV

JBtampa

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
For the longest time I've wondered if my 6000 was defective, my antenna needed work, my tv was broken, whatever. I even changed out my 8vsb in hopes of some improvement. Well, I now have a Samsung SIR-T165 STB, and the verdict is clear. I'm splitting the same antenna for both. When the pixelating smear/tear/lockup occurs on the 6000, the Samsung is always sailing along A-OK. So, now I know. They're both hooked up for A/B. The STB is hooked via DVI, but I don't think that is a factor.

Sammy vs. E*

Hmmmmm. This is troubling. While waiting for a 921, I've been using a Sammy 151 STB for OTA HD. I live in hilly Seattle without direct line of sight. Can't get all of the locals to consistently lock. Now I'm wondering if I'll just be flushing a smooth $1k down the toilet.

the 921 8vsb is supposed to be better than the 6000.
I switched from a Sammy 151 to the 6000 & I believe that the 6000 handles keeping a lock BETTER.
ALso, i really like the % meter on the 6000!

Tahoerob said:
the 921 8vsb is supposed to be better than the 6000.
I switched from a Sammy 151 to the 6000 & I believe that the 6000 handles keeping a lock BETTER.
ALso, i really like the % meter on the 6000!

I'm using a Samsung T151. I had a 6000 tied with it and the the Sammy won, big time. I now have the 811 there instead and the Sammy is neck and neck. The 811 will not hold up my ABC station while the 6000 did just fine. That's a software problem I believe. the Sammy lock ABC every time.

I agree that the % meter is better on both the 6000 and the 811.

I have a 6000 and a Samsung. The Samsung works a bit better in my location (for the gory details, see http://www.coyotecreekranch.com/DTV/ ).

The 6000 8vsb module uses a receiver chip from NxtWave, a design now a few years old.

The Samsung uses the Broadcom receiver. This is the same chip used in the 921, BTW. So I would expect the 921 to have better OTA reception than the 6000.

I still couldn't receive 2 of my OTA stations with the Samsung; it will be interesting to see how the 921 does with them. I may have to try a Zenith 2HDR30 in order to time-shift these two OTA stations.

Good Info

BarryO said:
I have a 6000 and a Samsung. The Samsung works a bit better in my location (for the gory details, see http://www.coyotecreekranch.com/DTV/ ).

The 6000 8vsb module uses a receiver chip from NxtWave, a design now a few years old.

The Samsung uses the Broadcom receiver. This is the same chip used in the 921, BTW. So I would expect the 921 to have better OTA reception than the 6000.

I still couldn't receive 2 of my OTA stations with the Samsung; it will be interesting to see how the 921 does with them. I may have to try a Zenith 2HDR30 in order to time-shift these two OTA stations.

Barry - thanks for the helpful information. It's nice to know the 921 should be at least as good as the Sammy 151. Now I just need to wait for it to arrive!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts