Dish 622 frame rate

mij1525

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Just got my 622 hooked up a few days ago and I'm still getting to know it. For the most part I'm happy with it...until tonight.

I recorded 'The Wedding Date' from HBO HD for the wife and she is currently watching it now. While the picture detail and quality is definately HD, the framerate appears to be less than what I believe is the standard 30 frames per second and I'm noticing a lot of chop. I've seen this on other HD channels live - the Voom stuff in particular. It's not quite as bad as watching the freaky chick from 'The Ring', but it reminds me of the effect.

I'm currently watching this on a Sony 60' SXRD - a beautiful set - and the OTA stuff looks great so I don't think it's my TV. Has anyone else noticed this?

:welcome
There are many threads on here about the less than optimal HD pictures due to lower resolutions or lower bitrates for certain channels on Dish and other providers.
It's been referred to as HDLITE, so you may try to search for that. There is a website at www.stophdlite.com which many members here have contributed to. Hope this helps.

gbjbany said:
:welcome
There are many threads on here about the less than optimal HD pictures due to lower resolutions or lower bitrates for certain channels on Dish and other providers.
It's been referred to as HDLITE, so you may try to search for that. There is a website at www.stophdlite.com which many members here have contributed to. Hope this helps.
I don't have the problem that he mentioned on my 942. This is with all Voom channels, HD pack, showtimeHD, and HBOHD. NO slowdown at all.

I think the problem he is describing is not something to do with HDLite.

RobertsD said:
I think the problem he is describing is not something to do with HDLite.
With the size TV he has - HDLite will make a difference.

Last edited:
This may have something to do with the "jumpy video" problem many are seeing with L356 on the 622. Check out the "L356 Release Notes" thread in the "Dish Network Technical Discussions" forum.

Brad

My 622 displays the frames at the same rate as my 942, i was watching VOOM and HBO yesterday. So all that left me to assume was it was related to the size of screen and as stated hdlite would be a factor in that.
Of course now i think about it, maybe it's related to other activity on the 622 at that time ? e.g. the time taken to retrieve the image from the disk or something else

Or i'm just full of c**p ! :)

Thanks for the response, guys. I don't think I'm looking at HD-lite as I only really notice it on recorded HD, not live. Could it be drive transfer speed or maybe a setting that I missed? it doesn't seem likely to me that there'd be a setting to drop the framerate/compression but I guess anything is possible.

I suppose if no one else has noticed this then it's either my receiver or a fluke in the feed.

No, what you are experiencing is what I call video stuttering / strobing / scratchy strobing... it's def software issue because if you reboot the receiver or hit skipback the problem is fixed.

the first term i mentioned looks like it's just dropping frames to keep up...

the second looks like you're watching a flickering film based / projector

the third is more random and appears in dark areas, it seems to add a grain/stratchy look and does some light flickering, but only in areas not over the whole picture.

again these are software bugs which have improved but are obviously not solved. stay tuned (and use the search) we're all aware of these and so is Dish... it's a matter of when the software update comes, i'd estimate (without inside info) these remaining issues will be solved soon as dish has had a HUGE april HD push, and you wouldn't want to make them all mad.

I wonder if setting the receiver to 720p rather than 1080i would correct some of the video stuttering or strobbing we are seeing in the video? Progressive mode is supposed to make the picture look better with a dvd player so maybe the same for the 622?

I have two 622 receivers and one is set to 720p on my 26"hd tv in the bedroom and I never see the video stuttering. I have the other 622 on my 57" hd tv in the living room and it is set to 1080i and I see it at least once or twice a day and it only goes away with a reboot.

I am going to set it to 720p also and see if it makes any difference in the picture.

my 622 is 1080i without stuttering so far (2 days)

Im sort of struggling with why abricko, miked and others are seeing it and im not.

Is it only HD program playback ? Is it only after a certain period of time, or number of mins/hours playback ? is it dependent on the amount on the drive ? Is it HD mpeg 4 channels or MPeg 2 or both ?

thanks.

Doesn't matter

The stutter bug exists for either HD reso choices, be paitent I'd suspect next friday dish will have another update (or the friday after at the rate they've been doing them)

MikeD-C05 said:
I wonder if setting the receiver to 720p rather than 1080i would correct some of the video stuttering or strobbing we are seeing in the video? Progressive mode is supposed to make the picture look better with a dvd player so maybe the same for the 622?

I have two 622 receivers and one is set to 720p on my 26"hd tv in the bedroom and I never see the video stuttering. I have the other 622 on my 57" hd tv in the living room and it is set to 1080i and I see it at least once or twice a day and it only goes away with a reboot.

I am going to set it to 720p also and see if it makes any difference in the picture.

I applaud your optimism that dish can solve this issue, for those that have it, in the near future.
However it's clear, to me anyway, it doesnt affect everybody. Indeed what they do to fix your setup/config may well inroduce it in mine. I think ,therefore, the more we can identify the specific setups here, will better inform those trying to make an upgrade decision, and, in turn, if this issue will affect them.

I have a 942 and i must have seen 100's of posts about how many bugs and issues people have had with it, i have had none of these issues todate, but people still attack the 942 as a POS. I see this trend with the 622 and as one other poster said " you guys got me unnessecarily worried..." i think we need to make sure readers with less technical background are informed of the scope of the issue, and not paint it as all 622's will suffer from it.
My 0.2c as a 30 year software industry veteran.

I look forward to hearing if the next , or the one after, software release fixes the issue for you and others currently affected.

I have seen the video stutter on mostly LIVE tv and it happens when I have not remembered to do a power cord reboot daily by 6:30 pm . Right now the unit is rebooting on its own in the 3:00am update. I reboot it again by 6:30 to PREVENT any video stuttering on my primetime schedule. The audio drop outs on dolby digital sound was really bad on the Monster hd show I had recorded , that I watched last week.

The reboots that I do daily prevent most , not all , of my audio/video problems. The problem is that I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops to enjoy my $700.00 sat receiver. THe funny thing is that it is only happening on my main tv 622 receiver, not my second 622 in the master bedroom. The second 622 doesn't get as much use as my main receiver. I wonder if how much you use it effects how many problems you see and hear.

mij1525 said:
I'm currently watching this on a Sony 60' SXRD . Has anyone else noticed this?

Sixty foot SXRD wow! :p

I have a 60" SXRD and while I didn't record that exact movie that you mentioned I watch a great deal of HD and haven't seen any issues with the frame rate. Sometimes the picture looks softer that I would like but that's the HD-Lite issue not any stuttering bugs.

abricko said:
No, what you are experiencing is what I call video stuttering / strobing / scratchy strobing... it's def software issue because if you reboot the receiver or hit skipback the problem is fixed.

the first term i mentioned looks like it's just dropping frames to keep up...

the second looks like you're watching a flickering film based / projector

the third is more random and appears in dark areas, it seems to add a grain/stratchy look and does some light flickering, but only in areas not over the whole picture.

Perhaps that's my problem. I've still got the 942. I don't get dropped frames, it's all smooth motion but when I have the receiver in 720p when I watch ABC/ESPN Sports and FOX Sporting events that are native 720p the data lines where they have the scores of the games flickers and glitches alot, but the picture is fine. When I'm watching ABC primetime it's fine, it's only when they display data on the screen. ABC/ESPN and FOX both broadcast in 720p and use the entire width of the screen to display the score and other information. Lately it's been the NBA and Nascar. If I change to 1080i it goes away. This only happens with my component input. HDMI is fine but I prefer component. I've tried different cables no fix. very frustrating.

At least I know it's not my TV. The OTA tuner in the TV is fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)