Dish 625/522 question

artisticcheese

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
I'm confused about capabilites of above mentioned DVRs. Can somebody tell if scenario below is possible.
I put this DVR next to TV in room no 1.
Second tuner will be hardwired to room no 2.
I have structued cabling in home and hence I have ability to distribute RF signal through the house so can I connect RF output of the DVR to the rest of the house? Will it work?

Thanks,

artisticcheese said:
I'm confused about capabilites of above mentioned DVRs. Can somebody tell if scenario below is possible.
I put this DVR next to TV in room no 1.
Second tuner will be hardwired to room no 2.
I have structued cabling in home and hence I have ability to distribute RF signal through the house so can I connect RF output of the DVR to the rest of the house? Will it work?

Thanks,
Yes you can connect Tuner 2 to all TVs in the house the same picture will be displayed on all connected TVs. :)

If you're asking if you can split either the TV1 or TV2 output signal, then yes. There's a limit to how much you can split the signal (dB losses factor into the equation). If you're going to split any, I would split TV2 since the remote is UHF and can be carried throughout your home with little problem.

Thanks,

But I'm trying to do something else here. Since installers will come my understanding they will hardwire output 2 to master bedroom (they need to lay cable there or something). I'm asking after this is done (DVR connected directly to TV, DVR connected directly through cable on output 2 to master bedroom) can I still use RF output for third connection.
Or I'm not fully understanding what "installation" means. My understanding installers will come and put second feed to DVR receiver and they connect output 2 directly to master bedroom.
I know if I use my structured wiring in a house I get bad quaility on all TVs in a house (still can watch TV but it looks grainy). So what I wanted to have excellent quaility directly on TV connected to DVR and in master bedroom. And then distribute the rest of the content through the house.

You can service two or three different sets/rooms SPLIT OFF AND RUN FROM THE RECEIVER. That's your distribution hub. Wherever your receiver will be, you will need cables from there to the rooms you want to feed.

More clarification: TV2 output has an RF output and an RCA-type audio/video output. The installer will connect your master bedroom TV to the TV2 RF output. If you get a grainy picture through your house wiring it may be because the signal is being split too many times. I was able to resolve the grainy picture problem by adding a signal amplifier to the TV2 output.

So what if I use RCA output of TV2 and put it through RF modulator and distribute through the house and use RF output of TV2 to connect to master bedroom. I would not need a singal amplifier in this case to get a good picture in master bedrom.
What is signal amplifier eitherway?

I have installed many of these systems and maximum is right with his reply. It can handle some splits but after so many the reception will get grainy like cable. you can also split your primary (tv 1 as well). i have setup houses where both receivers are in one main location and the entire house can view both t.v. 1 and t.v. 2 just by flipping the channel on the tv. T.V. 1 and 2 are modulated on certain channels of your t.v. just need to remember what channel is T.V. 1 and what channel is T.V. 2. It is like a mini head end cable system. You won't be able to change the channel of the other without having two remotes in each room.

So can I use RCA output with RF modulator on line 2 to connect to structured cabling in the house and RF output of line 2 to connect to master bedroom directly? Will it work and guaranteed good quality in master bedroom and mediocre quality in the rest of the house (right now structured cabling connect to RF output of standard receiver so I don't expect worse quality then that).

I have modulated outputs of TV1 and TV2 combined using a splitter in reverse feeding back to the distribution point feeding a 4 way amplified splitter from Radio Shack and that feeding the rest of the TVs in the house. I bought extra uhf remotes on E-bay and use them as needed. The TV1 output doesn't have stereo but most of the TV's aren't stereo anyway. I can watch either output on any TV using ch 3 or 73 (cable channels).

Another minor thing the TV1 output when off is switched to the antenna/cable input so if nothing is connected to that input you will get snow instead of the screen saver. The installer may share the cable using it to provide the input signals for the dvr rather than running cables down to the box he may combine them back at the distribution point and separate them off the shared cable at the box.

When you distribute throughout the house, be sure that the distribution amplifiers have sufficient bandpass. Too often, we find that the existing in-house amp is for lower VHF channels (2-13) and produces a snowy picture on the system. Usually, RG-59 is OK, unless you have very long runs. Then RG-6 is necessary.