Dish 625 DVR - No program guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

senorwx

Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Mexico
A few days ago, my 625 stop downloading program guide info.

I've a) done the check switch, b) powered down/hard reset, and 3) reset with the power button.

Whenever I get the screen that asks if I want to download new guide info, I select yes, that screen remains for about 3 seconds and then goes away... no info downloaded.

Two questions: seems to me in the past when I've done "check switch" it has gone through several tests. Now "check switch" does Test 1 of 1 test.

Secondly, is there a particular sat/tr that dish uses for the program guide info? Where does it come from. I thought maybe I've lost a signal that would have that data.

BTW: I can access already-recorded programs on the DVRs, but cannot access the timers. All other features of the 625 seem to be working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sounds to me that u r missing some orbitals. In ur check switch screen which satellite shows up. Program guide is on the 119 but it sounds to me that receiver is not noticing the right lnb. Do u know which lnb u have

Yes, it sounds like you're not getting 119. Can you watch channels from 119, such as 101 & 110?

Long shot - disconnect the coax from the dish. Run check switch. Reconnect the coax and run check switch again.

If you can see channels from 119 and do the above, and still can't get a guide, time to call Dish and ask for technical support. Your box may be belly up.

I assume by no EPG you mean none whatsoever, and not that you only have a day or two.

Oh Boy this has been happening to me since Monday 6 days ago. makes me nutz. Downloading takes 5 minutes, yeah right??? It feels like forever when its midnight. I did everything you did, and the dish tech was just here and changed out some stuff(I am not technical so I haven't a clue) he left 48 minutes ago, and I just got the message "YOUR HARDDRIVE IS OUT OF DATE"blah blah blah...so I downloaded the channels again. I guess this would't irritate me so much if everything on my dvr for recording, any show I cancelled due to being a repeat, shows up again, everytime this happens, and once again I have to go thru & cancel them.
Hopefully this 10 minutes ago was a fluke because he chnaged something out on the dish, maybe did have to update???? I am keeping a notebook on how many times I have to reset the hardrive, check the switches, point the dish.....I pay 75$ a month, shouldn't I get a rebate for doing the tech's job?:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Getting 119 OK and can receive the channels you mentioned. Tried unplugging the coax to no avail.

The program guide has info only for the next hour or so.

Tech support suggested only the remedies I listed in the first post and expressed willingness to ship a new receiver, tho I own my own here.

Sounds like the receiver may be dead.

Might not be the techs fault. Do u get all the channels or r u missing some. Rake a pic of the check switch screen for me. Just hit menu 6-1-1. Then hit select on check switch and take the pic of that screen

Here are a few screen shots. The signal isn't strong at this location, but it works! Has been this way before and after EPG problem. HTH

Attachments

• DSC02798.JPG
    DSC02798.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC02797.JPG
    DSC02797.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC02799.JPG
    DSC02799.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 254
From your lips to ...! That would be great! I'll hit the roof tomorrow.

I've been living with low signal strength for some time, but perhaps things have deteriorated in recent months.

My guess is your signal strength is too low on TP 7. It's significantly weaker than TP 6 that you are showing there. If your signal strength is that low on TP 6 then there is a chance you are not picking up TP 7. What is your signal strength on TP 7? TP 7 has the 9 day guide. Also, what about TP 18 & 19?

It happened late this afternoon ( 1/16 )! The signal strengths all improved... and I hadn't been anywhere near the dish. While I know many of these are marginal, what is amazing is the improvement from trs I hadn't received before. I'm a novice when it comes to satellite reception, I thought these changes might indicate that DishTV had been doing some 'tinkering' with their transponders, much like last summer when we saw big changes in signal strength here (mostly weaker) as they moved footprints north of the border.

In any case, thanks for the advice and help. For those who understand this stuff, I offer the following data on my 119 reception. The first column is from last July (after Dish completed changing its footprints), the second column from Jan 15 reflecting the second or third day when the EPG stopped working, and the third column as of late this afternoon. Thanks again! (And hoping this won't fall apart tomorrow!)

July 3, 2010 Jan 14, 2011 Jan 16, 2011 (pm)
Tr 1 - 5 = 0 1-5 = 0 1-5 = 0
6 - 21 16 22
7 - 0 0 5 <--
8 - 36 34 36
9 - 30 34 36
10 - 9 0 7 <--
11 - 0 0 8 <--
12 - 43 42 43
13 - 26 43 30
14 - 0 0 0
15 - 11 11 17 <--
16 - 42 39 41
17 - 25 27 29
18 - 13 7 13
19 - 7 7 11
20 - 41 39 40
21 - 35 37 39

Well there's your problem. If you can't pick up TP 7 then you won't get the guide. TP's 18 and 19 are just barely above the threshold as well.

Last edited:
Must be the "improvement" in 18 and 19, because 7 has been at zero since last July and I didn't have any problems. BTW: implicit above, but not stated, I've got the EPG back. Stay tuned... and thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)