Dish 721/SW34-Error:020-"The smart card currently inserted is not valid for use....."

salman121

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I just got my Dish 721. I was previously using 510 and 311. I replaced 510 with 721. I have 2 dish 500s and supposed to be getting 61.5, 110 and 119 satellite signals. First I was just getting 110 and 119 when I ran the check switch on 721, but later I started getting all but when I click done, I get 2-3 error messages like error # 616, # 622, # 613. At the end, I get "Error # 020 with the message, "The smart card currently inserted is not valid for use with this receiver".

Tried several things like taking the card out and putting it back in, but it did not help. Aslo unplugged the dish cables from the back, run the check switch, but at the end I get the same smart card error message. Another thing is it re-starts like 5 times before it goes to "Point dish" screen. It doesn't even goto Menu. It gives three other error messages,# 616, # 622, # 613 before giving error # 020. Then there is no "OK" option, and you have to either shut down the system completely or take the card out to bring back to the "Point dish" screen.

Current SW version is L054HABD-N. Seems like the problem is the old software. Can I update the SW any other way than going to the menu?

I have tried unplug & plug back in. Also tried connecting directly (without the switch 34 but got the same error.

Single LNB is directed towards 61.5 and has one cable coming out of it. Dual LNB has 2 cables coming out and directed towards 110 and 119.

Any help will be appreciate.
Thank you,
Salman

Hmmm. Quite amazing. There's a thread EXACTLY like this one that I've been working on somewhere. Even the OP's ID is the same. Hmmm. Lemme think. Oh yeah, it's here.

Doesn't matter, I'm not going to waste my time starting over.

DELETE: Especially beings your replacement 721 is already being shipped.
REASON: I misread the other thread.

STILL - there's no point in continuing here considering the help you're getting in the other thread. Note that most of the top techs read both boards regularly.

What card should I have with this 721 receiver?

I have been on phone with Dishnetwork for almost 10-12 hours (with different techs) and they still have not figured it out. I was just wondering what kind of card should this receiver have? or come with it 'cos I am suspecting that I was tricked by the seller.
Thank you,

Error 020: The smart card currently inserted is not valid for use with this receiver

First of all, thank you everybody foe giving me tips on this issue. Here are the updates:

Last night, I turned off the receiver (721) but left it connected to cable & electricity. Software got updated to L172. Then it seemed like working. I was able to run the test switch and it showed all 3 satellites but it was showing only 1 dishnetwork channel (info channel). I thought it may be needed to activated by DishNetwork. Called DishNetwork, they did something and now I am getting the "020" error message again. It keeps flashing every few seconds. Ran test switch again, reset it, unplugged/Plugged again, no results. They said they will send me a replacement receiver but it will be refurbished. My consern is that I paid for a new receiver and why should I settle for refurbished receiver. Are there any suggestions at this point in order to get this receiver to work or just get a replacement.
Thanks again!!
Salman

fix "020" error...

In all your talking to dish network, did anyone register the R00/S00 number
for the receiver and card? Have them double check the R00/S00 that is
showing in your account. It's a simple thing, but I worked as a Customer
Support Rep at DishNutwork for awhile...and you'd be surprised what
obvious things get passed up.

salman121 said:
First of all, thank you everybody foe giving me tips on this issue. Here are the updates:

Last night, I turned off the receiver (721) but left it connected to cable & electricity. Software got updated to L172. Then it seemed like working. I was able to run the test switch and it showed all 3 satellites but it was showing only 1 dishnetwork channel (info channel). I thought it may be needed to activated by DishNetwork. Called DishNetwork, they did something and now I am getting the "020" error message again. It keeps flashing every few seconds. Ran test switch again, reset it, unplugged/Plugged again, no results. They said they will send me a replacement receiver but it will be refurbished. My consern is that I paid for a new receiver and why should I settle for refurbished receiver. Are there any suggestions at this point in order to get this receiver to work or just get a replacement.
Thanks again!!
Salman
:confused:

Thanks!!

Yeah, you are right. Everytime I called DN, I had 'em repeat the # but it didn't help. Now they are sending the replacement receiver sayinh the reader is not right in this box. The only thing I am concerned that it may not be new, but refurbished!!

Once gain, Thanks everybody!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts