DISH 722 & ARCHOS 705 Wifi issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IHeeb

Original poster
May 11, 2011
Long Beach, Cali
I am having problems getting my Archos 705 WIFI 80 GB to sync with my DISH Network 722 DVR. I have the DISH Plug in installed on the 705. It built the folder on the device for DISH network. I have the latest Firmware for the Archos installed. (2.1.04) When I plug in the ARCHOS in PC mode to the 722 DVR, I get the message to change to Windows Media Mode. When I change to Windows Media mode I get the message: “Doesn’t have the required Dish Network Plug In installed. Go to WWW. Archos.com to download the free plug in.” Help! Yes, I know its 2011 folks. I got addicted to my 605 to watch TV on airplanes. (I fly weekly) I can't give it up. LOL I am over trying to replace the 605 battery. 705 I can do myself so I bought this refurb on e-bay.

Hi IHeeb and :welcometo Sat Guys. I would like to help you resolve you issue but I am not familiar with the Archos 705 WIFI 80 GB other than it is a PVP. You are trying to connect it to your 722. Are you wanting to download your recordings directly on to the unit like you would an EHD? If not can you please tell me what it is that you ultimately trying to do with the receiver and I will do my best to help you? Thank you!

Can your 605 battery work as a filter and allow it to turn on when plugged in? If so, plug it in, turn it on, and plug it into your 722 to see whether the download function will still work. I predict that it's broken (again) for your new 722 firmware. If it's still working, then the problem lies with the 705. I have heard that Archos abandoned the 705 in favor of their Internet Tablet line, and that it's firmware was not exactly the best coming out of Archos. Or was that the Archos TV I'm remembering?

I sure wish Dish and Archos would make friends and get their products working together. And an update for the latest Archos products would also be very welcome.

Last edited:
Mary...thanks for the reply. I have no idea what and EHD is. Here is what I can tell you....The Archos 705 works on the same principal as something DISH offered a few years ago called The Pocket Dish. I believe Archos made this product for DISH. I am not the most technical guy, so here goes. I first download my tv shows to the 722 DVR. Then I connect the 705 via the USB port in the front of the 722. Once connected, I copy the tv shows onto my 705 device and BAM, I am watching my tv shows as I fly across the country. In order to accomplish this, ARCHOS provides a "widget" (soft ware app) which is called the DISH widget. I have downloaded and installed to my device per the directions on Archos's web site.

I know this process works as I am the proud owner of an Archos 605 and it works just fine with my 722. The reason I dont want to use the 605 is that the battery is starting to fade. Only holds a charge for about 1.5 hours then dies. Archos will no longer replace batteries in these units. I cant find anyone locally who is willing to solder in a new battery for me. My understanding is that on the 705 I can do a battery change myself.

Well thank you for explaining this for me. EHD is an External Hard Drive. I do not have any experience with the Pocket Dish but the fact that your 605 has done what you needed and now the 705 will not is telling though. Have you attempted the test The Krell suggested? Are you able to move recordings from the 605 to the 705? It may offer a solution to get the programs where you want them. Please just let me know.

I am able to download just fine to the 605. The problem with that device is that the batter is dying and it is hard wired inside the unit. Archos wont take it in for service and I cant seem to find anyone here in my local area willing to solder in a battery. Sucks huh?

Curious. It appears from my perusal of the Archos website that both the 605 (most models) and the 705 use the same firmware. Are you also using 2.1.04 on your 605?

I have a Archos 705 and yes the battery is easily removed(and I recently purchased a new one from an aftermarket supplier). I have a Dish 622 receiver and this works fine for transferring recordings as long as the recordings are mpeg2, not the newer mpeg4 recordings. Another SLOWER way to transfer recordings is like the old vcr days, play the show on your TV and record with cables and base station to your Archos 705.

You do need to load the app from the Archos website first as stated by the poster above and then the Dish 622 receiver will recognize it. When I wanted to transfer recorded programs from 622 to 705, you must use the USB cable but again will not work with off-air recordings or any mpeg4 recordings.

Hey all...this story has a VERY happy ending. I called ARCHOS and got help reloading the DISH Widget. Seems that although the app did load on the 705 hard drive, the guy at Tech support said I should have had the device only pluged into AC and not my computer when I activated the software. Bottom line, I disconnected the unit from my laptop, plugged it into the wall, reloaded the widget and BAM! it worked!!!! I have already loaded 20 GB of tv that I am behind in watching. The skies are going to be much better now that I can once again enjoy my tv at 35K feet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)