DISH 722 hard drive problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WWS2

Original poster
May 30, 2008
For the 2nd time in 2 months I am replacing our DISH 722 HD DVR receiver:(. Last time it was an overheat problem they said and we lost all our timers and recordings. So I bought a Cavalry 1TB external hard drive to save them to.

This time it is an internal hard drive problem they say. Tuesday when we came home everything was fine but after dinner I wanted to move all the shows and movies [there was 2 hours HD recording time left] over to the EHD but I got an error message that said 521-call DISH immediately. The tech said it was because the guide did not download although it was there in full. So he first had me unplug the unit-wait a minute-replug it in. The progress bar said it loaded. Still no DVR capability. So he had me reset it-waiting 10 seconds-with the front button. Still no DVR capability. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back to say he had never seen a 521 error before [why was he having me do all the other things then??] and they would send out a replacement unit. And yes, we lost all of the recordings and timers again! :mad:

So my question to the experts here is; is there a way or service [like there is for a bad hard drive on your computer] to recover the recordings on the unit I am to return? It would be worth it to get another external hard drive to transfer them back to the DVR.

Thank you!

Walter/NJ

Where there's a will there's a way

So my question to the experts here is; is there a way or service [like there is for a bad hard drive on your computer] to recover the recordings on the unit I am to return? It would be worth it to get another external hard drive to transfer them back to the DVR.

Thank you!

Walter/NJ

Obviously a little late for you, but if others find this on a search as I did, they may be helped.
There's a lot of talk about doing similar things on TiVo forums it seems, so I would guess you could do the same, open the box up, plug the internal drive into your home machine (recommendations are to leave its power plugged in, just take the sata(?) cable), and from there I'm not sure, but i reckon you could copy/clone the drive, and then undo the clone onto your new receivers HD.
Else there are softwares which will let you access your stuff, like PVRExplorer is one. There are probably others, but I haven't tried any so I can't recommend. I hope to not need to get to this point, but it does seem like these receivers have a lot of problems?
I'm on my 3rd (though I'm skeptical of whether the 1st needed to be replaced or not), and continue to have problems..
hopefully the 922 will be better. hth! tata.. -@

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)