Dish 722 reboots and freezes up?

sauroneru

Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
I've had the 722 for about a week now. About once a day when I turn on the TV the screen is black, I can't tune to any channels, and after a minute or two of button pushing it reboots itself. Is this normal? Is there some update I can download?

I had a similar same issue last weekend and posted in the tech forum. Play around with the receiver until it gets non repsonsive, press a few more buttons, and it reboots after a minute or so of being nonresponsive.

I haven't had much time to play around with it since then... I will ask for a replacement if it keeps up.

If your problem is not weak signal then you will need a replacement.

First through, check the cables and the dish alignment. Use the point dish screen (menu 6 1 1 maybe) to check signal levels. In particular check the 110 and 119 for transponder 11 and 12 and check 129 for TP 31(?). If you have 61.5 I think TP 11 also. Please report these. They must be well in the green.

If you are your local channels OTA, you should look at the signal level and it is below say 70, I would avoid that channel and never leave it on a weak OTA overnight.

I have had reboots on my 722 (since Aug 22) while watching a Dish SD program and many on the 622 (more than a year with one bad HDMI replacement). Seems to be a bad spots in the recording and it was reproducible to the second. Reboot will return you to earlier in the playback when you get there, try to skip over it or re-record it.

-Ken

I just got my 722 and it freezes/reboots daily (I've had it for a week now). I did a search and came up with this thread. Have any of you been able to resolve the problem or have the reboots subsided?

I have had reboot problems with a 722 since it was installed in December. It seems somewhat random though perhaps more frequenly when the DVR is in use (either playing or recording) but I am not certain. I have several programs or movies that have been recorded in 2 or more parts because "recording stopped due to STB reboot". I have contacted tech support via email a couple of times and provided additional information they requested. Tech support has indicated to me that it is a software problem and "they are working on it". They have offered to send a replacement at my option, however also indicated that since it is a software problem, it may reoccur even with a new box. The software on the unit is L448. At this point I have not decided to ask for a replacement.

Any one else with similar issues?

Yes, I am also experiencing the reboot problem. My system will happen around every 5 - 20 minutes throughout the day. I talked to tech support and they have tried just about everything and cannot resolve it. They shipped me a new receiver and it's doing the exact same thing. The only next step DISH is offering to do is for a technician to come out and look at it. I also believe it's a software problem so I do not expect the technician will be able to do anything to fix it.

I have had the system since the end of February and did not have a problem like this until last week. Does anyone know if DISH has just recently downloaded a software upgrade? If they did, I am sure that is the problem.

I am having the same issue of my 722 constantly rebooting. I do think they did a software upgrade because on the signal strenght screen mine has a message about new software and that strength levels will report lower. I am currnetly on my fourth unit since this problem started. I hope it is just a software issue and they fix it soon.

622 and 722 reboots

I am having the same problem and am just about fed up. My 622 started rebooting
out of the blue every 5-10 minutes after working for a couple years. They sent
me a new one, which didn't reboot, but pixelation of ever channel every few
seconds caused me to call tech support again. They wanted to send a support
guy out for $100 to check my power. BTW - my Sony widescreen and PS3 don't
seem to have any problems with power.

The sucker I am I went ahead and ordered a 722 receiver upgrade. They sent
a "new" receiver and now again it is rebooting every 5-10 minutes. I've disconnected
everything except what is needed but is power cycling every 5-10 minutes.
Well, they are sending me another 722 receiver. If this one don't work out
of the box, then I am done with Dish network, as much as I like there receivers,
if they don't work, then it's not worth it. Stay tuned.

I have two 722 one has problem

I have same problem, screen frozen , no picture and it just keeps rebooting. I am really mad because i had three 622's replaced and got the 722 to end the problem, it worked fine for two months and now it is going to hell with the rebooting, constantly. I don't know how to stop it i keep unpluggling it and doing hard reboots, but this is not why i pay dish almost $200 a month ( with international channels)

I have had reboot problems with a 722 since it was installed in December. It seems somewhat random though perhaps more frequenly when the DVR is in use (either playing or recording) but I am not certain. I have several programs or movies that have been recorded in 2 or more parts because "recording stopped due to STB reboot". I have contacted tech support via email a couple of times and provided additional information they requested. Tech support has indicated to me that it is a software problem and "they are working on it". They have offered to send a replacement at my option, however also indicated that since it is a software problem, it may reoccur even with a new box. The software on the unit is L448. At this point I have not decided to ask for a replacement.

Any one else with similar issues?

I had a horrible reboot problem with the 622. Every 3 months it would just break and start rebooting every 5 minutes. I had 4 new boxes in the span of 9 months. Finally they gave me a 722 the last time and it seems to be behaving alright. Though last night I couldn't get any of my channels to come in on my second tv that is hooked up to tuner 2. I could see the guide and select a channel, but no picture actually came up.

Anyway, call Dish and tell them, they pretty much can only send you a new receiver, which sucks because you lose all your recorded stuff.

EDIT: one thing they suggested to me was NOT plugging the receiver into a surge protector. So I have my 722 plugged directly into a wall socket. Not sure if that actually does anything, and it seems like a bad idea, but whatever.

Reboots

Well, I'm on my fourth receiver now and it is working. Despite my last posting
of frustration, Dish Network does send the receivers out VERY quickly (two day
shipping). I just hope this one doesn't start rebooting or have any other problems as I really do like the 622/722 receiver. I know DirecTV also has reported receiver
problems and cable (Charter) in my area DVR/HD receivers are becoming ancient
compared to Dish (or DirecTV for that matter).

Just wanted to post and update.

I was wondering if everyone had their problem solved. My 722 just started doing this 2 days ago and power cycling is the diagnosis. I'm getting a 722 replacement soon.

Mine started doing this a couple of days ago also.
It also started doing the "lost satellite signal" message about every 3 minutes.

I seem to have solved it by keeping the programs behind by about 30 seconds.
It only wants to act up with live TV.

Had this issue with a 622 and it boiled down to the HD was failing so they sent me a 722. At the time it was alos suggested that I plug the unit directly into the wall and not into a power strip. Not sure what the dif would be but i did as they asked. About a year later the HD in the 722 failedand of course dish replaced the box. As fars athe lost recordings. I finally broke down and and bouth a 1T EHD and paid the 39.95 (rip off0 to activate it. at least I can transfer recordings that I don't want to loose to the EHD in case we have another failure. another note came home last night turned on tv and no picture. The box showed that a scheduled recording was taking place. Di dnot go to tv2 to see if there was a picture there. had to reboot and picture returned. No problems for the rest of the night or this AM.
If yo have your box in an enclosed space you should do something to increase air flow to keep the box cool. I purchased a USB owered cooling fan on Amazon (found info on this forum) and it has helped quite a bit. Remeber that the HD is running all the time even when you are not actually recording, that is how you are able to skip back and or do a freeze fram of the shaow you are wathcing.

Ross

Dish 722 freezes up

I have about one month old Dish 722 receiver which has started freezing up. I was able to narrow it down to the received phone calls. As my receiver has a phone line connected to it and intermittently receiving phone calls would freeze the receiver. It happens 2 or 3 times a week and not every time I receive a call on my land line.

I have not talked to Dish about it. Otherwise I'm OK with 722 performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)