Dish 722 with VOIP

asdpoiu

Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Hi
I have a Dish 722 Receiver. I recently changed to VOIP, ditching my land line. The VOIP runs off Qwest DSL, which occupies a different phone line than my land line did, so all of the old jacks in my house for my old land line phone service are useless, including the one near my installed entertainment center which I used to connect my receiver. I am getting the extra fee tacked on monthly for failure to keep my receiver plugged in to a phone line. Moving the system is not an option. The only solution I can think of is accessing my wireless network through the receiver and connecting that way. Can that be done through a wireless dongle of some sort, and will it solve the problem? I also can't buy PPV movies which is good at the absurd prices they charge but irritating when the kids want to watch something and I dont feel like going out. Thanks in advance for replies, sorry if I missed other threads with the answer.

With the fee changes going into effect in feb the credit for the Phone line goes away.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point because it's going to be nil very soon.

When i had Vonage i sent the signal through my old wiring and could connect using the legacy jacks.

you could also use a gaming adapter or other wireless bridge to hook up your receiver.

As others have pointed out the fee seems to be going away but if you want to be conected for any reason these methods might work for you.

Starting next month there will no longer be a charge for not having a phone line or internet hooked up. Numerous threads/posts on her re. new pricing coming 2/1. Your receiver has "home plug" built in so if you pick up a home-plug to ethernet adapter (you only need ONE) your receiver will be able to be online through your homes' wiring. I use a Netgear XE102. You plug it in near your router (directly into an outlet-NO power strip or surge protector) and connect it to a port on your router via ethernet cable. You still won't have caller ID or be able to order PPV with your remote without the phone line hooked up though.
Hope this helps.

Ed

VOIP works fine with a 722, provided you can get the connection to the DVR. I have Vonage and it works without a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts