Dish 811 Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Blindman

Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
Is there any way to use the 811 box when its not connected to the dish and use it just fot an over the air HD reciver?

Can any one help me out.

Last edited:
I think it would depend on if your Dish account is still active. Even though it has an ATSC tuner the receiver isn't going to work unless you have an active Dish account. Your manual should even state that.

Actually the 811/381 receiver can be used as an OTA only receiver without a subscription but it must be connected to the dish and receiving a signal. As a bonus if you have the dish pointed at the satellite that carries your locals you will even get guide info for your OTA channels.

yep I still use my 811 just for OTA...have a dish aimed at 110 so I get guide info for Minneapolis (and now) Mankato locals

works really well

Can you use just an old dish and point it at 110? Because i still have one with the old 110 LNB and it still was working when i took it down, would that work?

Can you use just an old dish and point it at 110? Because i still have one with the old 110 LNB and it still was working when i took it down, would that work?

well 110 or 119 depending on which satellite your SD locals are on

If your location is correct, Phoenix locals are on 110 so yes you could put up the old Dish500 and get the local guide info for the locals

Another trick I've learned if the unit isn't working on off the air channels due to expired time issues even on a closed account,If you connect a telephone line to the unit for 24 hours it will automatically fix the basic OTA functions.

This works on Dish and the older DirecTV HD equipment.

I havent had the 811 activated for over 2 years and it still work fine. Mine has the old yellow card so all the "free" chanenls (101, nasa, angel one) say "need new smart card" but it still gets the OTA :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)