Dish 811 -- DVI Cable Confusion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slanich

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 21, 2003
Does the 811 include a DVI-D cable?

If not, I want to be sure I buy the correct cable. The 811 spec sheet shows the back panel, and the DVI connector is labled "DVI-HDTV/DISH DVI". Elsewhere on the spec sheet, it also refers to "DVI-D."

Is there a difference between "DVI-HDTV" and "DVI-D?"

And, what on earth is "DISH DVI?" Is this something proprietary from Echostar that requires a special cable?

Finally, do I need a Dual Link or a Single Link DVI cable? I will be connecting the 811 to a new SONY LCD Projection TV. The connector at the back of the TV looks like Dual Link.

Thanks.

Steve Lanich

dishdvi is the dvi port's name on the hdtv's that they are selling

all the other questions i have no clue and i would like to know too please because i have 36inch tube hdtv sony xbr800 that i would like to use dvi too in my tv manuel it says it follows the eia-861 standard

Wondering the same.....

I also just ordered the 811 and have a new Sony 50" on order as well. Wondering if the 811 comes with a DVI cable???

No DVI cable with most 811s. Some claim that theirs came with one but most don't believe that to be true. <g>
I use a DVI-D single link. I would suspect that you should do the same. Don't waste money on a "Monster" version.

Grandude said:
No DVI cable with most 811s. Some claim that theirs came with one but most don't believe that to be true. <g>
I use a DVI-D single link. I would suspect that you should do the same. Don't waste money on a "Monster" version.
The 811 comes with a component cable but no DVI. If you get Dish's HDTV in a Box deal, a DVI cable comes in the monitor's cable packageing, so you'd end up getting both.

WaltinVt

I will definetly echo the don't spend a lot theory. I just got my 811 last month, and it did not come with a cable. I dropped by Circuit City where they generously offered me to buy a $120 monster cable. Oddly, I opted not to make this purchase and got a $6 (incl. shipping) cable on E-bay. It works great. The issue to remember here is that we are talking digital signals across a short run. The need for very expensive heavily-shielded cable is mostly mitigated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)