DISH 811 no purple cards

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
I haven't seen it posted before and didn't find it with a search but I was told that 811's were being discontinued and would not be getting new cards. My information came from Greg Wall in the executive office in response to an email to ceo@ questioning when I would be getting cars for my 2 811s. The surprising thing was Greg confirmed the 811 rebadged as a 381 would continue to be supported and would get new cards. Now isn't that just like DISH.:mad::mad::mad:

I don't subscribe to HD with the 811s just used for SD and OTA digital channels. For those that don't use OTA there is a lot of entertainment your missing. There are many more channels than either DISH or Directv is uplinking.

I haven't seen it posted before and didn't find it with a search but I was told that 811's were being discontinued and would not be getting new cards. My information came from Greg Wall in the executive office in response to an email to ceo@ questioning when I would be getting cars for my 2 811s. The surprising thing was Greg confirmed the 811 rebadged as a 381 would continue to be supported and would get new cards. Now isn't that just like DISH.:mad::mad::mad:

Dish sent 211s to everyone who had a old MPEG-2 HD box ages ago for no-charge. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/136289-dish-start-upgrading-hd-customers-mpeg4.html

Call Dish and ask about the Discontinued Receiver Upgrade. They should upgrade you to a 211.

Doesn't the OTA tuner still work on an active 811? It won't if the box is deactivated when they shut off the old cards.

it'll still work as a OTA tuner. I have one hooked up and hasnt been subbed in almost 2 years. It needs a satellite line hooked up so I have one for 119 only

Gets 101, NASA, Angel One and the "see how to sub to AAD network channels" along with HD OTA

it'll still work as a OTA tuner. I have one hooked up and hasnt been subbed in almost 2 years. It needs a satellite line hooked up so I have one for 119 only

Gets 101, NASA, Angel One and the "see how to sub to AAD network channels" along with HD OTA
I'm just a little pissed off that I can't continue to use it as a SD receiver and OTA digital. I don't know if it will still recognize a DISH signal after the card swap so it can still be used as a digital receiver. It dosen't have the best ATSC tuner but it works and provides the Dallas stations in a non Dallas DMA, we only have 2 broadcasters in our DMA so the additional Dallas is welcomed. With both DMAs I have around 40 OTA channels with all the subcarriers.:)

I think they were waiving the HD enabling fee for customers forced to upgrade.

You could switch to a 322, run both sets and save on the mirroring fee. I'd replace the 811 with a DTVPal, its a lot nicer to use than a 811 and the guide works and lists data for the sub channels.

I have an 811 that I use for SD and OTA. I just got my purple card about a week ago and put it in. I hope it works after the switchover. I have no interest in HD from Dish as I already pay enough a month now.

Daydreamer that is good news to read. If you got a purple card that may mean that DISH executive office dosen't know what they are saying.

kb7oeb a 322 won't receive OTA and the 811 does get guide info without a local subscription so it is the equivalent of a DTV PAL with a slightly inferior tuner. The 811 also has HDTV outputs that the DTV PAL dosen't.

Greg Wall emailed me with an admission he was wrong the 811 is being discontinued as a HDTV receiver but they are going to continue support as a SD receiver. He is supposed to be arrainging shipment of purple cards.

Wow, I was fine with the 811 as a SD receiver, but DISH shut it down, when I called, they said it needed to be swapped with a 211. So, I complied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts