Dish 811 - P282 Update

Bobby said:
Ummm, WJD, almost everyone is experiencing this type of behavior. It happens when you are channeling up or down.

Well I guess i fall into the percentage that does not. I am using a universal remote and not the UHF remote with the 811. Maybe I should use that and see if I can make it happen with the 811. I have read a lot of posts on 2.82 and I was not getting the feeling this is happening with "Almost everyone".

WeeJavaDude said:
Hmmm. Interesting. I would suggest that you try setting it back to factory defaults and see if that does not fix it. If not, there is a way to clear memory, but that one is not for the average Joe.

How are you changing channel? are you using your regular remote? Universal? Are you doing up/down channel? I am assuming these are Digital channels you are adding.

curious is anyone else is getting this type of behavior.

WeeJavaDude, thanks for your help and I don't mean to be disrepectful but this thread is full of folks with the same problem that I am having. Anyways, to answer your questions:

1. The setting back to factory default remedy does not fix the problem. I'm not an average Joe so you can give me more 811 voodoo if you wish.

2. I'm changing channels using the supplied Dishnetwork remote that came with the 811. The channels are digital. The way I surf through OTA channels is by pushing up/up and this usually makes the 811 reboot.

This problem is consistent and annoying. I normally let things go because most 811 bugs are either minor or happens on rare occasions for me. But this particular problem has really got me steamed. This basically shows that the engineering/software design process at E* is poor. They are not unit testing their fixes which ultimately causes unhappy customers. Heck, all they have to do is read the threads on this forum to get the message. I know that the CEO is ultimately responsible but I have to point my fingers at the engineers and their management.

mebgardener said:
WeeJavaDude, thanks for your help and I don't mean to be disrepectful but this thread is full of folks with the same problem that I am having. Anyways, to answer your questions:

1. The setting back to factory default remedy does not fix the problem. I'm not an average Joe so you can give me more 811 voodoo if you wish.

2. I'm changing channels using the supplied Dishnetwork remote that came with the 811. The channels are digital. The way I surf through OTA channels is by pushing up/up and this usually makes the 811 reboot.

This problem is consistent and annoying. I normally let things go because most 811 bugs are either minor or happens on rare occasions for me. But this particular problem has really got me steamed. This basically shows that the engineering/software design process at E* is poor. They are not unit testing their fixes which ultimately causes unhappy customers. Heck, all they have to do is read the threads on this forum to get the message. I know that the CEO is ultimately responsible but I have to point my fingers at the engineers and their management.

Ditto!!!

mebgardener said:
WeeJavaDude, thanks for your help and I don't mean to be disrepectful but this thread is full of folks with the same problem that I am having.
I don't always read 90+ entries on the thread. ;) Looks like I missed a page or two of people having this issue or one that is similar. Also looks like some people corrected this by doing the factory reset and re-adding the channels. For you it seems this did not help.

The next step would be to possible do a memory dump. this is an area I am am not familar with since I have never done it. Jason has, but states there is some risk involved.

As to the unit test statement, what is being described here most likely would not have bene caught by a unit test and possible not by a system test. You have a bug that seems to be caused by certain environements. Possible differences in boxes, configurations, or other external factors. Everyone is not seeing this issue so I doubt unit testing would have prevented this. Purely guess on my side since I do not know the root cause of this one.

Ok, let's get to the bottom of this.

I'll add a poll with options of Bugs people are getting.

1. Crashes when changing OTA channels

What else should there be?

I originally did have my box freeze when messing with OTA, but I did a factory reset and re-scanned my digitals and it went away. So i'm going to make the criteria that the people who vote no, are because they've tried this and it still crashes...

Is P282 Delayed?

As of 6:00 PM on Nov 23, I have never received P282. Has Dish stopped the rollout of this version to additional users because of the problems?

Larry

It's still in partial release, it's possible that they aren't going to be moving forward.

WeeJavaDude said:
I don't always read 90+ entries on the thread. ;) Looks like I missed a page or two of people having this issue or one that is similar. Also looks like some people corrected this by doing the factory reset and re-adding the channels. For you it seems this did not help.

The next step would be to possible do a memory dump. this is an area I am am not familar with since I have never done it. Jason has, but states there is some risk involved.

As to the unit test statement, what is being described here most likely would not have bene caught by a unit test and possible not by a system test. You have a bug that seems to be caused by certain environements. Possible differences in boxes, configurations, or other external factors. Everyone is not seeing this issue so I doubt unit testing would have prevented this. Purely guess on my side since I do not know the root cause of this one.

If you have digital OTA locals in your area that you have scanned, then you are in the group that will possibly be seeing this problem. I for one will not say that everyone is having this problem and on the other side of the bar state that no one is having this problem. We have no numbers to go by, but I remember when we had the dark outputs on composite and S-video that dish was saying that only a few people were having the problem. But then it was acknowledge that E* did have a problem and with several updates they have improved that situation.

Now with that said, I agree that possible differences in boxes, configurations, or other external factors can contribute to the problem, but I did not have this problem prior to the update and now I do. And it does seem based on this thread that it is spreading. I don't think everyone has had the download, but as E* completes this download to everyone there will be more complaints. This tread is proof of it.

This forum has caught the attention of E* and with the increasing membership I feel that the problem will be solved as the complaints start to come in.

I want to thank all those who have contributed helpful hints to resolve these problems. I have tried them but no go. Like the E* support person told me don't use OTA's until we come up with a fix:

"after we know what's causing it"

:eek:

Bulldog said:
If you have digital OTA locals in your area that you have scanned, then you are in the group that will possibly be seeing this problem. I for one will not say that everyone is having this problem and on the other side of the bar state that no one is having this problem. We have no numbers to go by, but I remember when we had the dark outputs on composite and S-video that dish was saying that only a few people were having the problem. But then it was acknowledge that E* did have a problem and with several updates they have improved that situation.

Now with that said, I agree that possible differences in boxes, configurations, or other external factors can contribute to the problem, but I did not have this problem prior to the update and now I do. And it does seem based on this thread that it is spreading. I don't think everyone has had the download, but as E* completes this download to everyone there will be more complaints. This tread is proof of it.

This forum has caught the attention of E* and with the increasing membership I feel that the problem will be solved as the complaints start to come in.

I want to thank all those who have contributed helpful hints to resolve these problems. I have tried them but no go. Like the E* support person told me don't use OTA's until we come up with a fix:

"after we know what's causing it"

:eek:

I do have OTA and based on the description of the problem, it is possible that I might hit it too. The reason I was asking questions was to try and see if the root cause could be narrowed. I have about 12 OTA channels in SoCal and I watch them a lot so I was trying to see if this possible could be related to UHF since I am using an Universal remote.

I am by no means trivializing this issue. Based on the descriptions it is what I would call high customer pain. I also am acknowledging the fact that everyone is not seeing it so I don't believe this one would have been caused by unit testing code. For the record I got 2.82 on day one. The purpose of the questions I posed is an attempt to find some possible point of commonality that could indicate where the issue might be. As a result, Dish might read the thread and get an idea of root cause and go from there resulting in a quicker fix for the people feeling the pain.

lnyoung said:
As of 6:00 PM on Nov 23, I have never received P282. Has Dish stopped the rollout of this version to additional users because of the problems?

Larry
No...it is still spooling. I use OTA extensively and I have not yet had an issue...please notice the emphasis on yet. In my experience it is very rare for E* to stop a rollout in process.

Jason

I noticed something: When I first reported all the quirks in the 811, Dish said that this was caused by my NOT powering down the 811 each night. So they trained me to shut if off every night (dumb!) but the problems never ceased.

Now that I'm still trained to shut it off when not watching TV, I've noticed that the BSOD occurs only when I first power up the 811 and surf from OTA Digital to satellite and back again. The BSOD always follows a ususally strong local DT station showing a 0% signal strength. No idea why this is so. The 811 pilot light goes out, the unit reboots by itself and then I get the "PLEASE WAIT" screens while the program guide loads (wasn't this supposed to be why we were instructed to turn the thing off???). When it finally comes back to life, I am always on the last satellite channel I was on prior to the BSOD appearing.

I have to believe that others experience this same issue. I have nothing special.

Moman19 said:
I have to believe that others experience this same issue.
No one has taken me up on my offer to send user complaints to the 811 team....and frankly you may be the only one as far as E* is concerned...In a conversation I had with one of my E* contacts today the call log is not overflowing with 811 complaints as related to P282....Guys if your having issues call the support center....ask for an Advanced Tech(ATSR) and report your problems.

Jason

WeeJavaDude said:

May I suggest that nobody do a memory dump to attempt to clear this bug. It is clearly a bug in the software, doing a memory dump will NOT fix it. Dish is aware of the problem and THEY will fix it. Yeah, I know, they will fix everything, eventually.....

It's only a bug in the software depending on how you have your receiver customized. If it was a wide bug, all of us would have this problem.

nippjas said:
No one has taken me up on my offer to send user complaints to the 811 team....and frankly you may be the only one as far as E* is concerned...In a conversation I had with one of my E* contacts today the call log is not overflowing with 811 complaints as related to P282....Guys if your having issues call the support center....ask for an Advanced Tech(ATSR) and report your problems.

Jason

I did call and complained twice. In my original post, I indicated that E* KNEW about this bug. They tried to give me some remedies that didn't work.
I also mentioned that I can live with most issues since they were a minor nuisance or rarely occured on my 811. This issue is a major one and I wanted to post it because I know E* engineers read this forum. I also know that some of you folks have an inside track with E*. I want the fix to arrive sooner than ~3 months for each software patch.

nippjas said:
....Guys if your having issues call the support center....ask for an Advanced Tech(ATSR) and report your problems.

Jason

The last time I spoke with an ATSR, (I had 281 at the time) he wound up telling me that "...you must have a defective unit..." and sent me a replacement. Guess what? No change after ripping my installation apart and swapping receivers. Either they are clueless or simply willing to make it look like they care.

Bobby said:
May I suggest that nobody do a memory dump to attempt to clear this bug. It is clearly a bug in the software, doing a memory dump will NOT fix it. Dish is aware of the problem and THEY will fix it. Yeah, I know, they will fix everything, eventually.....

I dont recall saying it was not a bug? However, as some others have stated it is not effecting everyone. I am in the group it has not. I tried to reproduce it last night with both the UHF and my universal remote. Could not do it.

As far as I know, the root cause is not known and I did use the word "possible" with my suggestion on the next step. Since I have not done what I was suggestion and am not familar with the risks like some others on here are and I think I stated that in my orginal post. My guess is that it will not correct the issue, but it might be worth a try.

Do you know the root cause of the bug Bobby and therefore know that some of these suggestion wont work around the issue? I am Assuming of course there is a work around and this might not be the case?

One possible cause for what is being described is a corrupted internal table. I am not stating this is the cause, because I don't have enough information to determine it, but if the risk is minimal it might be something worth trying given the pain a customer is going through. However, like you elluded to that a better approach might be to not do anything and just use the guide to change channels. (Minimize channel surfing using up/down).

mebgardener said:
I did call and complained twice. In my original post, I indicated that E* KNEW about this bug. They tried to give me some remedies that didn't work.
I also mentioned that I can live with most issues since they were a minor nuisance or rarely occurred on my 811. This issue is a major one and I wanted to post it because I know E* engineers read this forum. I also know that some of you folks have an inside track with E*. I want the fix to arrive sooner than ~3 months for each software patch.
Never worry never fear, P283 is near...LOL Sorry I had to..:D

P283 is scheduled for December and P284 is January.

I agree and quickly addressing user issues...The 811 team is much quicker to respond than the 301 team in my opinion.

Jason

Picture quality email

Sony New Chips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)