Dish 811 - P282 Update

My 811 didn't update to 2.82 yet. From reading here, seems like it extends the guide back out to approx. 2 days but adds OTA channel surfing reboots.

Hmmm, maybe I should change the 811 configuration to prevent automatic updates and wait for 2.83. The Dish website now shows 2.82 in release so it's coming real soon to my box - or is it?

keith said:
My 811 didn't update to 2.82 yet. From reading here, seems like it extends the guide back out to approx. 2 days but adds OTA channel surfing reboots.

Hmmm, maybe I should change the 811 configuration to prevent automatic updates and wait for 2.83. The Dish website now shows 2.82 in release so it's coming real soon to my box - or is it?
It's amazing how bad new releases are when they are spooling. And in a lot of cases after...I will just state that you guys either need to report the issues to me so I can create a list to send directly to the team, or call. I would think I have a better shot at getting the info to the correct individuals.

Also, give it 2 weeks before we start a riot. I ask this because the PID stream is pretty busy right now, with the firmware spooling, and it is being spooled out at about 50% transfer rate of the previous version. I don't know if any of you recall but the 301-13 spooled P229 and it was horrible for several months after....All kinds of roll-outs during this time frame.....P229 did stabilize. But in this case the next 2 months bring 2 new firmware releases...I don't know....something to think about maybe....

Why are we paying for this?

It's so sad they break things that were working fine previously.
They try to fix things but they just breaks things.

They obviously need testers and a better QA department (if any exists)

I too have the reboots and ota lockups.
It's just sad!

Please dont tell me to go to directv or voom. I'm paying for DISH, i expect it to work.

Any chance they can go back to 2.69? That's the last one that I liked (minimal BSOD, OTA guide worked ...). Maybe Dish needs to use 2.69 as the base for their next release (who needs Dish Home on Ch. 100 anyway?).

I haven't figured out what 282 fixed. It traded the BSOD to a worse problem ... namely rebooting everytime I'm channel surfing on OTA. The 811 consistantly reboots everytime I channel surf. I'm not sure if it is that bad for you folks in this forum.

I called E* technical support and told them that this is unacceptable. Their response is that they know that this is a bug and a fix is in the works. They said that a temporary remedy is to leave the 811 in a non-OTA channel when I turn off the set (overnight) when not viewing. I will try this tonight and will let you know of the results. I thought I might pass this on to you folks in this forum.

mebgardener said:
... namely rebooting everytime I'm channel surfing on OTA. The 811 consistantly reboots everytime I channel surf. I'm not sure if it is that bad for you folks in this forum.

They said that a temporary remedy is to leave the 811 in a non-OTA channel when I turn off the set (overnight) when not viewing....

Well, I haven't noticed any new problems nor any particular improvements.

I did have a weird SD resolution issue after watching a DVD the other night. When I switched back to the satellite (which I had not turned off) every SD channel was fuzzy, really bad, you could almost see the scan lines refreshing ... but HD channels were perfect. I have never seen anything LIKE that.

Anyway, as to switching to a sat. channel prior to turning the box off, I have always, from Day 1, had to do that. Otherwise, it would take 15 minutes (literally) of f'ing around with the receiver and rebooting to finally get anything to display.

It's just part of my 811 usage routine.

My only anomaly has been this; I set a timer to record and change channel to an OTA digital while I was watching another OTA. The timer fired and changed channel before the program had ended. I pushed recall and got the BSOD. I could turn to any channel, OTA or satellite and have a black screen with the top info header. Rebooting fixed that.

mebgardener said:
I haven't figured out what 282 fixed. It traded the BSOD to a worse problem ... namely rebooting everytime I'm channel surfing on OTA. The 811 consistantly reboots everytime I channel surf. I'm not sure if it is that bad for you folks in this forum.

I called E* technical support and told them that this is unacceptable. Their response is that they know that this is a bug and a fix is in the works. They said that a temporary remedy is to leave the 811 in a non-OTA channel when I turn off the set (overnight) when not viewing. I will try this tonight and will let you know of the results. I thought I might pass this on to you folks in this forum.

I happy to hear that E* is aware of the problem. Like I stated in an earlier post we all need to call in to E*. This is the only way they would move toward doing something about it.

mebgardener said:

I have not seen this with my 811. Are you saying that you get a reboot every time you change an OTA channel? Or does it seem to randomely happen? Change a few channels ... BOOM... reboot ..... Change a few more channels.... BOOM... Reboot.

Or is it .

Change OTA channel.. BOOM!!! Change OTA Channel BOOM!!. Also how do you change channels when this occurs?

What I would try first would be to clear out all your OTA channels and manual add them back in one at a time. If you can reproduce this see if it happens with only two channels added and going back and forth. I am thinking maybe something is corrupted in your channel table. Especially if it is crashing left and right.

So far P282 has been working pretty good. I've only had one freeze, not really a bsod, cause with that u can still move the banner, but this just froze when I was trying to force lock an OTA signal. I've haven't been able to do a soft reset for the longest, time so pulling the power cord is the only solution

The BSOD has seemed to have disappeared as quickly as it arrived. I removed my custom Favorites list and built a new one....no idea if that was the culprit. However, I am still getting occasional "slide-show" freezes on the satellite HD channels. Swapping 811's and getting 282 have not fixed this problem.

Still experiencing the occasional OTA "49 signal strength" on strong stations. Here one minute. Gone the next.

mebgardener said:

Ok...as I had stated on the last post, I'm reporting whether the temporary remedy worked and the verdict is NO! I'm steamed about this since E* knows about the problem and they're giving me something to do to get me off the phone. I'm calling them again this morning and if anything significant comes out, I'll pass it on.

The OTA channel surf is worse than before. The only advantage, is that it can be rebooted from the remote, instead of the hold the power button on the STB for 10 seconds. Also the reboot takes a little less time and the first channel to pop up is the last satellite channel viewed.

WeeJavaDude said:
I have not seen this with my 811. Are you saying that you get a reboot every time you change an OTA channel? Or does it seem to randomely happen? Change a few channels ... BOOM... reboot ..... Change a few more channels.... BOOM... Reboot.

Or is it .

Change OTA channel.. BOOM!!! Change OTA Channel BOOM!!. Also how do you change channels when this occurs?

What I would try first would be to clear out all your OTA channels and manual add them back in one at a time. If you can reproduce this see if it happens with only two channels added and going back and forth. I am thinking maybe something is corrupted in your channel table. Especially if it is crashing left and right.

Change a few OTA channels and BOOM reboot. I cleared out all the OTA and I manually added two back. This made no difference, the 811 reboots after ~5 channel changes. However, thanks for tip.

mebgardener said:
Change a few OTA channels and BOOM reboot. I cleared out all the OTA and I manually added two back. This made no difference, the 811 reboots after ~5 channel changes. However, thanks for tip.

Hmmm. Interesting. I would suggest that you try setting it back to factory defaults and see if that does not fix it. If not, there is a way to clear memory, but that one is not for the average Joe.

How are you changing channel? are you using your regular remote? Universal? Are you doing up/down channel? I am assuming these are Digital channels you are adding.

curious is anyone else is getting this type of behavior.

Ummm, WJD, almost everyone is experiencing this type of behavior. It happens when you are channeling up or down.

I'm not experiencing these problems with OTA surfing and reboots. I spent about 5 minutes surfing between locals last night and not once did I lock up.

At the time I updated to 2.82, I had no favorites defined, as it was a 1-day old receiver. The favorites weren't defined until after 2.82 was installed. I wonder if this is why I'm not having the same problem as others are.

In addition, I'm finding my OTA reception modestly improved. Usually my CBS affiliate will have a drop out or other visible error every 5 minutes or so, but last night reception was rock solid, rarely wavering from 76 on the meter.

So it's interesting to see the disparity between the various people running 2.82.

Cheers,

I've done what others said and it's been working fine.

I did a factory reset and removed all local digitals and did a re-scan.

BFG said:
I've done what others said and it's been working fine.

I did a factory reset and removed all local digitals and did a re-scan.
Which one did you do? A reset to defaults, a memory dump, or NVram reset?

Picture quality email

Sony New Chips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)