Dish 811 - P282 Update

Moman19 said:
The last time I spoke with an ATSR, (I had 281 at the time) he wound up telling me that "...you must have a defective unit..." and sent me a replacement. Guess what? No change after ripping my installation apart and swapping receivers. Either they are clueless or simply willing to make it look like they care.
Not doubting you, but I have to ask cause some people don't know there is a difference, you did verify the guy was ATSR and not just a CSR saying they could help you ....correct?

nippjas said:
Not doubting you, but I have to ask cause some people don't know there is a difference, you did verify the guy was ATSR and not just a CSR saying they could help you ....correct?

Yep. It was an ATSR. I didn't know the title at the time, but I insisted upon speaking to the next tier or support after countless call-ins for help, and getting "fixes" like Unplug-your-unit-and-wait-30-seconds. Or, other inane things like removing the Favorites, check my switches, tighten conections, etc.

Moman19 said:
Yep. It was an ATSR. I didn't know the title at the time, but I insisted upon speaking to the next tier or support after countless call-ins for help, and getting "fixes" like Unplug-your-unit-and-wait-30-seconds. Or, other inane things like removing the Favorites, check my switches, tighten conections, etc.
Wait until one of them tells you to pull the smart card out....;)

Ah, OMG!!!!! GRRR!!!! ;)

I just got the friggin bug!!

I got it by doing a channel recall from one OTA channel to the other.

This is actually the second time I got the bug freeze, but I cured it last time by recanning my digitals and doing a factory reset. The last time I got the bug by quckly switching OTA channels.

The factory reset and channel rescan fixed it again, I'm not sure if I need to do both. But I suggest you all try this and if things still screw up after you have tried this, then please post.

282 has worked fine for me. My reciever hasnt frozen up once since i got 282 like a couple days ago. No problems

mattzane227 said:
282 has worked fine for me. My reciever hasnt frozen up once since i got 282 like a couple days ago. No problems

Do you view OTA-DT locals as well? If you do, then we must really try to isolate why some of us have these issues quite regularly while others NEVER seem to experience them.

Do you hace your gude in full-screen mode or do you have the channel you're watching in the screen as well?

Moman19 said:
Do you view OTA-DT locals as well? If you do, then we must really try to isolate why some of us have these issues quite regularly while others NEVER seem to experience them.

Do you hace your gude in full-screen mode or do you have the channel you're watching in the screen as well?
I run PiG (Picture in Guide) in the EPG, I don't have issues yet but I don't doubt anyone is having issues because there is more than one hardware rev...Also It appears there are multiple Boot Strap versions as indicated in WJD OTA Surfing poll. I do want to thank all for taking my comments seriously the other day when I said the call log wasn't overwhelmed....I have a feeling, from the tone of my last conversation, that status has changed.

Jason

Alright, I have had my first lockup. I inadvertently left the 811 on an OTA digital channel the other night (I don't turn it off when it's not being viewed) and I was "locked up".

The current tuned channel was working fine, but I couldn't change channels, pull up the guide or pull up the setup menu.

The front panel power button was inactive, and I ended up having to pull the power cord for the reset.

It was fine after that, but quite aggravating.

Cheers,

Bobby said:
I just did the "factory reset" and rescan" and immediately locked up!!!

Same here. I then had to pull the plug & download everything once again to get back up. I don't think we here in the field can or should fix this mess. I then called in to report these issues. The Advanced Support person claimed to be aweare of these issues and stated that 2 new software "fixes" were just days away.

......We'll see.

John Kotches said:
Alright, I have had my first lockup. I inadvertently left the 811 on an OTA digital channel the other night (I don't turn it off when it's not being viewed) and I was "locked up". ...
You are doing not one, but two of the things most likely to upset the 811. :cool:

Doesn't matter if "it's always worked before" - remember, this is E* we're talking about.

I have had the BSOD once and a reset got it working. I scan the locals every day and only started to punch in the channel number tonight when I learned the trick was leading with a zero on the channel number.

nippjas said:
I don't know any real Beta Testers that get paid.

I do not know how E* does it, but I am a beta tester for a compiler company
and have been for years. They payoff is free compilers when the product is finally released.. If it is for a specific Operating System, we need that system. It means we get anything that company has for free. I've done this for 4 companies, and when it involved a new handheld PDA, we would get those free, providing we were experienced beta testers. At work, a TV Broadcasting engineer, we get a special discount on beta testing multi thousand dollar systems, or free if software running current equipment. We never get anything over $1000 free when beta testing a piece of equipment.

WeeJavaDude said:
Well I guess i fall into the percentage that does not. I am using a universal remote and not the UHF remote with the 811. Maybe I should use that and see if I can make it happen with the 811. I have read a lot of posts on 2.82 and I was not getting the feeling this is happening with "Almost everyone".

One problem with "almost everybody" is that those with problems willl surf to find answers. Those without won't for the most part. So it looks like every post has the problem. Since I had it once, if I was not surfing here, I probably would have passed it off as a glitch.So far, what I have seen I would not worry about...yet

P282 kills almost 1/2 my OTA stations

My P282 problems are awful, but a bit different. I don't have issues when I change OTA channels except for certain ones...

1) One local OTA station (strong >90), when tuned to via the guide or direct, now immediatly goes into a flashing BSOD cycle of once per second, then after 10 or so seconds, reboots the 811.

2) One local OTA station, strong (85-88), when tuned via the guide or direct, shows BSOD, then loss of signal. This station, when manually added to OTA, shows strong signal but will not lock.

3) One local OTA station (medium strength ... 75-78) has simply completely stopped being detected... but my neighbors with other receivers see it fine. I'm still receiving normally weaker stations OK.

I normally receive 7 different OTA stations, and the 3 of them above are no longer usable. I have removed locals and a factory reset from menu, then both scanned OTA to re-add and manually added OTA ... same problems with only those 3 OTAs.

What a mess. I sure wish I had not accepted this load, as it makes almost 1/2 my OTA unusable.

same problems

I reset to factory and then rescanned the locals and it immediately locked up. I have had all the usual problems with the 811 before so........*(&(*(

282 bugs I have found

Hello to All
Being new to the satellite program and after reading this great forum site I thought now that I have some information I would like to pass it along, it was suggested to me by the csr to replace my 811 after only having it for 4 months with a new one due to pixilation problems so I followed there advice and got the replacement last Friday. Also in the process I received the 282 software version in the download. well here is the problem now. If I try to schedule a program the timer will not go out farther than the current program listed ( I don't remember seeing this anywhere) and the other problem I now have is if I am watching ota programs and use the recall button to switch channels I get the great BSOD that I have read so much about and never had the honor of experiencing up until today. I would like to say thanks to Scott and many other people out there for some of the most informative chats on satellite. In short if I had it to over again I don't know which direction I would of gone, dish has some good choices but trouble with there newer equipment and direct has better equipment and less choices from my stand point. I have been trying to find a site that really does a comparison between the two. As for now I will stay with dish and hope the downloads will take care of the small inconviences and I have my eye on the 921 and I am hoping that it will get resolved in the process

Good Luck to all of us
rlh149

It's offical folks...P282 has been killed.

P283 to start phase 1 rollout December 2nd. Will post release notes shortly.

Closing thread....

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)