Dish 811 - P284 Update

The software gets released in phases. Right now it's in phase 1, which sends the release out to the first batch of 50,000 811s, which are the folks that also got P282. Supossedly the goal is to have the P284 release sent to everyone by January 4th.

So far p284 is running perfectly here. P282 ran flawlessly on my 811 also, but p281 was a nightmare, at least 3 BSOD a week and one time it unsubscribed itself and I had no channels until a phone call fixed that.

Yup, both P284 and P282 worked fine for me. Good updates. I think now it's time to turn off automatic updates, so the next time they feel like running some kind of Maintenance update we don't get screwed :D

Carl B said:
Had P2.82 and got P2.84 sometime yesterday. No BSOD yet. No EPG problems. I did have to reboot it this evening after turning it on because the PQ was distorted w/ a sort of vertical line slice markings. This has happened before, though not often, and a reboot fixes it.

I'll keep surfing those OTA channels to see if the BSOD reappears. That was my one major remaining problem with my 811.

I've had those same vertical line slice markings also. Reboot fixed it.

282 really screwed up my guide and every time it locked up, I had to reboot to get the guide to download or work at all. Just got 284 and will have to test it out to see if it fixed my guide problems. I mostly had no info and could not go from favorites to all channels or exit the guide without rebooting at least once a day. I had no guide problems prior to 282 and I have had my 811 a year now. It used to freeze up when changing channels, but it looks like that problem is fixed.

Grandude said:
Shucks, I guess I didn't have my fingers crossed long enough.
Today, one day after the download, I no longer have ANY info in the guide.
It is totally dead. All I get now in the guide is 'no info'. Can't scroll up or down, east or west, in or out, nothing.

Is this a new bug with 284 or just my 811? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the same problem that I have had with 282. I just got 284 and hoped that this problem would be fixed. You have to do a hard reboot to get this problem to clear at least once or twice a day.

Just hit my first P284 bug. Pressed the guide button, got an error message screen saying "can't acquire guide info."

Then, it went through the "Acquiring satellite signal" sequence.

-Mark

Wow, still no problems with P284. Have used it extensively since it downloaded the first day available. Did a lot of surfing with OTA channels and still no problems. Checked EPG data a day out for OTA channels and everything was fine. I mean I have other issues with the 811, but they are minor (e.g., over-brightness on DVI; volume uniformity on DiscoveryHD). P284 seems to have fixed the big hitters as far as unacceptable operational performance.

So let's see, P285 will be issued to fix some problem 4 customers are having with Sirius Radio and the 811 will develop a whole new set of user operational issues.

Interestingly enough, I'm still on P281. I've always had it set to automatically allow updates and I turn it off via the remote every night...so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get P284. I've got no complaints with 281, so whenever 284 gets here, it'll be interesting to see what changes.

Could the P284 update also have done something to the DD translation for some of the premium channels? Since the update, I now seeing numerous movies on STARZ with DD5.1 even though DD isn't even listed in the EPG description. Previously, most of the STARZ DD came across as DD2.0 even when listed for DD in the EPG description. Did P284 improve the decoder or is E* and STARZ just providing better content? Either way, thanks Dish Network!

Nope. And the encoder doesn't make something DD that isn't or turn off DD on something that is. Everything is pass-through...

I knew it was too good to be true! BSOD with P284 two times in the last 3 days. No auto-reboot, just BSOD that wouldn't provide a picture no matter what channel or kind of channel I tried to access. Each new channel would provide the top overlay info, which would then disappear and leave a totally black screen. I had to do the soft reboot to re-establish access to my E* channels.

The context of my two BSODs was that I was using an OTA digital channel for about half and hour, then commenced some heavy surfing of OTA channels, both digital and analog. After several minutes of surfing, I tried to access a DBS channel. That's when I got the BSOD. The first time I was leaving a digital OTA channel for a satellite channel. The second time I was leaving an analog OTA channel for a satellite channel.

While the BSOD is far less frequent with P284, my experience says they haven't yet completely solved the problem.

So far (w/P281) I've been able to get rid of the BSoD by going into DishHome, menuing around, then exiting. I've not seen anyone else say this works for them, however.

According to the release notes I saw published, Dish is aware of the BSoD and knows that they didn't clear up all the causes with P284.

Carl B said:
The context of my two BSODs was that I was using an OTA digital channel for about half and hour, then commenced some heavy surfing of OTA channels, both digital and analog. After several minutes of surfing, I tried to access a DBS channel. That's when I got the BSOD. The first time I was leaving a digital OTA channel for a satellite channel. The second time I was leaving an analog OTA channel for a satellite channel.

Same thing happened to me, was surfing OTA and lost one of the digital ones, I thought maybe they went off the air for some reason. Went back to satellite and nothing. Rebooted and the OTA digital was back along with the sat channels. Also been getting a phone line nag screen since I rebooted the box.

BFG said:
Supossedly the goal is to have the P284 release sent to everyone by January 4th.
Has anyone with "connections" heard if the P284 rollout to the rest of the 811 receivers is still on schedule?

Wow, that was close. As reported elsewhere, P284 is now available for all the installed base of 811s. So, I powered down my 811 and saw the "Warning Vital program information downloading, don't disturb." box. I figure cool, five minutes and I'll have P284!

Well, I was reading and posting away here, when the nightly timer fired for "The Daily Show" :eek: I thought it might have finished downloading, but after the show I checked and my 811 was still at P281.

So, I'm trying it again (maybe 45% done). But, now I hear the rain pelting on the window, and I wonder what happens if I lose signal during a download?

Added

Made it, I'm P284LADD-N now. I'm testing the 811's clock while viewing OTA; we'll see what it looks like in an hour. 12:57 EST - Nope, still runs slow

Also, are there any other 811 users in the South Bend/Elkhart, IN DMA? I thought we were supposted to get local ATSC channel data via Dish. Is our market (85) too far down the list?

Strange BSOD with P284

I just got 284 last nite now just about EVERY time while I am scanning OTA digital channels and an incoming phone call comes in set displays caller id then I get BSOD,never every had that before.

Also 284 is and I guess right term remapping my DT OTA channels diferent.

I get 01401 which is 14-1 and 14-2 as 46-1 my other two DT are same as before not sure why 284 displays it this way

Trido

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)