Dish 811 - P284 Update

Try turning off your caller ID when doing your OTA scan. I haven't had a problem at all like what you're describing. But then I haven't had an incoming call while doing a scan.

Clear out all of your OTA stations and save. Do a soft reboot and then rescan. Some of the DTV stations have new PSIP software that the 811 needs to relook at. Channel 46 is probably the actual channel for that DTV local and 14 is the virtual. This little reboot session seems to work for that kind of a problem. It could well be that your local has the PSIP turned off as well.

Never seen this one before...

Ah, P284 has shown me its ugly side: I was watching an OTA DTV station and hit the Guide button. Well, everything showed up as "No Info", and the Guide was sorted in ascending order, the reverse of my preferred descending. None of the navigation buttons (arrows, skip ahead/back) worked, all I could do is cancel. I was able to switch back to satellite, but pressing Guide repeated the same "No Info" guide. I eventually gave it the one-fingered-salute and all is well.

Now, I know the EPG was populated since I had used it to select the OTA station 25 minutes before, tuning from Comedy Central.

GaryPen, I guess I live in your world now! :no

My download is on 3 bars... Sometimes it'll even cycle through once like its taking, but start over and get stuck on 3 bars- ive let it stay there for hours.

Any ideas before I call Dish and play CSR roulette (yes, after the first few attempts- i unplugged it). Thanks for your help in advance.

jenkingswoody, are you talking about the P284 download or the EPG download? The EPG download should be fine after the steps you've taken, so it sounds like it's time to call Dish.

I now have a repeatable scenario for getting the BSOD with P284. After being on OTA digital and analog channels for more than 15 minutes, if I surf between a digital OTA and an analog OTA after about 3 times back and forth between the same 2 channels, BSOD. Works every time!

Note that the channels I surfed between were Channel 4 analog and Channel 35 DTV (virtual channel 4-1). The BSOD kicks in while I'm on the analog channel. Any DTV OTA channel or DBS channel I try to select comes up with the BSOD. However, I can successfully navigate to any other OTA analog channel. A reboot fixes the problem until I repeat the actions. Actually, after the first time, I didn't have to wait 15 minutes. As soon as I repeated the surfing sequence, BSOD was there again, and again.

I plan to email this information to DISH technical support.

HD Pict Quality after 284

I just got 284 downloaded this week. Now, the high definition channels :mad: pq is not what it was on 281. Did my eyes go bad overnight or has anyone else seen this deterioration? All settings are the same as before regarding 1080, pict enhancements, etc. :mad:

My son discovered that Playin' TV is now available for the 811. We played some games in the Demo mode. Now I have to lock down the receiver so he doesn't "accidentally" order the $4.99/mo service...

By the way, twice now I've had to reboot my 811 after playing the "Carrot Mania" (or whatever its called) game. After the demo time is up, the game freezes after you try to play another game (instead of subscribing). Eventually, you get out, but then the MPEG decoder is pooched. No sound, and massive video breakups, lot's of green blocks, etc., on all satellite (SD and HD) channels as well as OTA DTV.

b657319 said:
I just got 284 downloaded this week. Now, the high definition channels :mad: pq is not what it was on 281. Did my eyes go bad overnight or has anyone else seen this deterioration? All settings are the same as before regarding 1080, pict enhancements, etc. :mad:

I have noticed since downloading 284 from 281 that my OTA Digital channels are darker. I am connected via component.

Same problem here. The DT channels over the air seem to be darker. Componenet connection also.
I also have a new problem. The guide has come up twice with the lettering blurred and chopped up. Had to hard reboot the receiver and that fixed it.
These guys have a receiver that seems to create new problems whenever a previous problem is fixed.

Ah geez!!! No!!! Why did you have to say that. i didn't notice it until I read this, now that's all I see :( :(

Horsnuts said:
That happened to me too.
What? Darker video, or something else mentioned earlier?

I'm surprised that Dish is adding OpenTV Game apps since each one I try locks up the 811. I saw that the Kidswise educational apps were now available, and *grick*, it locked up right away. Same thing as before, I can get out by pressing "View TV" on the 811's remote, but then the MPEG decoder is mucked-up, requiring a power button reset.

Hate to bring this one back to life....

I'm now having troubles with reception on my weakest local OTA, which unfortunately has some of the best HDTV content (CBS).

Has anyone else noticed a degradation in OTA tuner response on stations in the 60's-70s for signal strength? All my other stations are in the 85+ range and not problematic, nor has their signal strength changed since the 2.84 upgrade has been installed.

Cheers,

Now that you bring it up, I have one Digital OTA station (ABC) that is weak (62%). In the past (before VER 284) I would change to ABC, and the signal strength would display 62% and display the video. Now since the update, when I change to ABC the signal meter displays 49% for like 2-4 seconds, then pops to 62% and then displays the video. Sometimes it hangs on 49% long enough to display the lost signal box and then goes to 62% and shows the video.

sixbears said:
Now that you bring it up, I have one Digital OTA station (ABC) that is weak (62%). In the past (before VER 284) I would change to ABC, and the signal strength would display 62% and display the video. Now since the update, when I change to ABC the signal meter displays 49% for like 2-4 seconds, then pops to 62% and then displays the video. Sometimes it hangs on 49% long enough to display the lost signal box and then goes to 62% and shows the video.

At 62% you are very close to the edge. It seems that the edge is somewhere around 60%. I have a channel at right at 60% and I get some broken signal. You might also be getting some multipathing.

You might want to try a preamp or maybe adjust your antenna.

I think the tweaks on the 8VSB tuner on the 811 have been greatly improved. What you're going through is normal. Either fringe reception or multipath. I also have been able to get a station with 60% but it's on the fringe so it's never stable. For a good signal you need to work on greater than 75%

Sorry guys, but prior to 2.84 reception wasn't a problem with the 811.

Now that 2.84 is here, I've had reception issues. According to the station, they've made no changes to their transmitter so that leaves the receiver.

Cheers,

Plasma side bars

I have two 811's. One feeding a Mits 55" RPTV and one feding Daewoo 42" Plasma EDTV.

The Mits 811 has P284LAJD-N and the Daewoo has P284LABD-N.

On the Daewoo Plasma, a new feature I am seeing is that on SD signals (this is over DVI) I'm getting maybe 1/4-1/2 inch black vertical black bars on left and right of the picture....it's not filling the screen.

Is this a known problem, and if so, is dish aware of it?
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)