Dish 811 P384 Software Release Notes from Dish Network

I just got P385 and now it freezes up about every 20 minutes. The sound is still going but the picture is frozen. If you try to change channels, all of them are black. So then I reboot, and it will work for another 15 minutes, then freeze again. Any suggestions of what to do? The 811 has always sucked but now its basically unusable.

I just got P385 and now it freezes up about every 20 minutes. The sound is still going but the picture is frozen. If you try to change channels, all of them are black. So then I reboot, and it will work for another 15 minutes, then freeze again. Any suggestions of what to do? The 811 has always sucked but now its basically unusable.

Try a hard reset...unplug the unit for 20-30 minutes, then plug it back in. Don't do anything (push any buttons) while the unit reboots and downloads any guide info. Report back.

I left it unplugged all day, plugged it back in tonight, it still froze up after like 10 minutes. Did another hard reboot, didn't work. Turned it off and unplugged it for like 5 minutes and it still froze up. So I called dish and they are sending a new 811. I was hoping that they'd give me a 211 but I guess they still have crappy 811's to give out.

I left it unplugged all day, plugged it back in tonight, it still froze up after like 10 minutes. Did another hard reboot, didn't work. Turned it off and unplugged it for like 5 minutes and it still froze up. So I called dish and they are sending a new 811. I was hoping that they'd give me a 211 but I guess they still have crappy 811's to give out.

Why not just pay them the $49 dollars, and get a 211 or $69 for 622?

Why not just pay them the $49 dollars, and get a 211 or $69 for 622?

and then give them another $10 a month because you have to sign up for the *new* HD package, and then another $6 a month because they start charging you a receiver lease fee for the honor of 'dishin it up.' And then they screw up your new receiver with badly written software updates anyway. Feh.

and then give them another $10 a month because you have to sign up for the *new* HD package, and then another $6 a month because they start charging you a receiver lease fee for the honor of 'dishin it up.' And then they screw up your new receiver with badly written software updates anyway. Feh.

That's exactly why I haven't upgraded my 811. It's $49 or $69 upfront, but then an additional $10 on top of my current HD package.

Fios is booting up in my neighborhood and will be available by Summer...conveniently when my 18-month Dish contract is up. :)

That's exactly why I haven't upgraded my 811. It's $49 or $69 upfront, but then an additional $10 on top of my current HD package.

Fios is booting up in my neighborhood and will be available by Summer...conveniently when my 18-month Dish contract is up. :)

I'm waiting for Fios, too, but I have even longer to wait (they haven't even started negotiating with my town yet.) I originally went with dish because it was the best value for the dollar, but Fios has them beat easily, with better picture quality to boot.

I know what ya mean, but what the hell can you do? Even if he got another 811 free of charge sent to him...eventually he will be forced into an upgrade...eventually.

I know what ya mean, but what the hell can you do? Even if he got another 811 free of charge sent to him...eventually he will be forced into an upgrade...eventually.

For me, I'm going to wait for the sweetheart deal that they will offer when they finally have to swap them out. And put $120 dollars a year in the bank until then.

Honestly, if they're still giving out replacement 811s, they can't feel they are too close to making that switch. (I definitely could be wrong about that one, though)

For me, I'm going to wait for the sweetheart deal that they will offer when they finally have to swap them out. And put $120 dollars a year in the bank until then.

Honestly, if they're still giving out replacement 811s, they can't feel they are too close to making that switch. (I definitely could be wrong about that one, though)

That's the route I'll probably be taking as well. I just can't see making an upgrade for a bunch of channels I'm not even remotely interested in watching.

At least you have FIOS on the horizon, and a good amount of OTA. Hell, where I'm at we only got DSL thru a local provider only 3-4 years ago! FIOS in my area is highly doubtful. And, to top it off, no OTA... at least not network HD OTA.

I just had Comcast pay me a visit on Wed., to see if they could get the cable to the house. We're about 300ft back from the main road and drop. He said I'd either have to tear up a portion of our newly paved driveway, or have another pole put in to go over the driveway, then have the cable buried all the way up to the house!!! I don't even wanna guess how much that would cost. Not a chance in hell!

Omg. I'm so glad I stopped here to see the story with this update before accepting it.

It will never go onto my box.

The only way to stop it is to never plug the receiver into the outlet. DISH removed the software upgrade options in P381 or so. You get it whether you want it or not. :eek:

The only way to stop it is to never plug the receiver into the outlet. DISH removed the software upgrade options in P381 or so. You get it whether you want it or not. :eek:

So I discovered. I told my roommate to answer NO to the update question. I was at 3.82. Next thing I know, like a day or two later she calls all apologetic. Didn't think she hit the Yes button to the update, but the local guide data was gone.

They just rammed the update into the box.

Not real happy with Dish just now. If FIOS shows up before I stop being mad, I'm so pulling Dish's plug. I have no interest in doing business with a company that not just strongarms you into updates you don't want ... they sabotage your box and take away features you have. In essence, they just nailed 811 owners with a 8% price increase for no additional features.

Hail, I'm even considering selling my stock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts