Dish 811

My DVI Output is dark too. Component is only slightly better but still way too dark for my taste. Should I call dish or just wait for the SW Update?

My question is. Who the heck is getting an 811 and not using component or DVI out? I mean, what's the point?
Anyways, on standard channels I get decent pic quality with both DVI and Component outs, although the DVI is just a tad darker, but very very watchable.
HD content is simply incredible with both DVI and component and very bright on my 50" Vega LCD.
The long wait times for guide info is fairly annoying, and my Guide will not display in widescreen. Minor annoyances but annoying nevertheless.
I wish the 921's were just a bit cheaper and easier to get ahold of :yes
Still, with the HD capability of my 811, and DVR functionality of my 508, I'm relatively happy.

Ive asked the same ocaddict- why would you use SD outputs on an HD box? I guess most people are doing this to hook up to a VCR or something- I cant think of many other reasons on why you'd not use the HD outputs.

For those seeing the dark dvi/component outputs- it considering returning it. Last night on the tech chat they clealy said they had a fix for dark image using SD outputs.

Well, I have the 811 going into a Toshiba 50 inch RPTV, and I prefer the S-video for SD material because the stretch modes on the Toshiba are superior to the stretch modes on the 811. The Toshiba's own stretch modes work with an SD (480) signal, but will not work with a 1080 HD signal.

According to the summaries of yesterday's Tech Chat, Dish is saying the the dark picture problem on the 811 is only on SD outputs, not on HD, and that the fix will be made next month. I agree that at least in my situation, the darkness problem is on the S-video (and I presume the composite) output, but not on the component outputs. Originally the component outputs on my 811 were dark (I got it in the first week of release back in December), but by the third software upgrade (version 263) the component output was fine. And good HD material looks outstanding.

-- Albert

alocher said:
Well, I have the 811 going into a Toshiba 50 inch RPTV, and I prefer the S-video for SD material because the stretch modes on the Toshiba are superior to the stretch modes on the 811. The Toshiba's own stretch modes work with an SD (480) signal, but will not work with a 1080 HD signal.

According to the summaries of yesterday's Tech Chat, Dish is saying the the dark picture problem on the 811 is only on SD outputs, not on HD, and that the fix will be made next month. I agree that at least in my situation, the darkness problem is on the S-video (and I presume the composite) output, but not on the component outputs. Originally the component outputs on my 811 were dark (I got it in the first week of release back in December), but by the third software upgrade (version 263) the component output was fine. And good HD material looks outstanding.

-- Albert

I have my 811 going into a Toshiba 50HDX82. I have connected every cable input I could find.. :)

I have SD, component, DVI. I don't see any dark pictures on SD or HD. I have it set (811) to 1080i. The SD/HD input button on the remote does nothing for me.
The only way I know to switch between SD & HD is to change channels.

I'm wondering what will happen to my (presently) excellent picture on both SD & HD when they lighten things up..

Dave

I just bought a Monster DVI400 cable from Office Depot (4 Meters for $89...) I'll let yall know how my picture is after installing it. It should arrive within a day or so.

Right now I am on Component Video with a Hitachi 65T500 and I love the image. No darkness issues, just the stupid audio "popping" issue I get every now and then, which I have to reboot the 811 to get to go away.

Bill

DaveO said:
I have my 811 going into a Toshiba 50HDX82. I have connected every cable input I could find.. :)

I have SD, component, DVI. I don't see any dark pictures on SD or HD. I have it set (811) to 1080i. The SD/HD input button on the remote does nothing for me.
The only way I know to switch between SD & HD is to change channels.

I'm wondering what will happen to my (presently) excellent picture on both SD & HD when they lighten things up..

Dave

DAVE: I have a 50HX81. Here is how I switch from HD to SD w/o changing channels. I have two output cables from the 811 going simultaneously into my TV. One is the S-video going into my input 1. The other is the component, going into my input 5. The 811 is set for 1080i.

When I want to watch HD, I use the input select button on the Toshiba remote to select input 5. Since this is always a 1080i signal, the "Pic Size" button on the Toshiba remote will have no effect, the picture can only be stretched with the 811. (Of course, even tho it is a 1080i signal, only the true HD stuff comes out as HD; the SD stuff is upconverted to 1080i by the 811, but it is still native SD).

When I want to watch SD, I select input 1 on the Toshiba. Now the TV is showing me the input signal from the S-video, which is always a 480 signal. In this mode, even DiscoveryHD and HDnet, etc. are converted by the 811 into a 480 SD signal, and thus are not HD. I can use my "Pic Size" button to use the Toshiba stretch modes, and watch the SD material in Theater Wide 1.

-- Albert

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)