Dish 811

wb6ypf

Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
Altadena, CA
I was attempting to updgrade to HD with Dish Network and get a free Dish 811 Receiver. They said they were backordered for 2-3 months. But, almost every local Dish Network supplier has them in stock for $399.

I've read several threads here about issues with the 811.

Should I read more into this ? Like is Dish Network waiting for a new release of the 811 or a new model ?

Or am I being paranoid ?

Bill

Be paranoid...

I had an 811 installed on Friday and there are problems. I'm seeing the problem with the picture being too dark and also the guide problems discussed in other threads. I sent a message to Dish earlier this evening asking about those two problems and if there was a software update and when it would be available. Maybe they will answer me in a day or two.

Where did you get it ?

Did you get the 811 from Dish Network or an independent retailer ?

Gordon Small said:
Be paranoid...

I had an 811 installed on Friday and there are problems. I'm seeing the problem with the picture being too dark and also the guide problems discussed in other threads. I sent a message to Dish earlier this evening asking about those two problems and if there was a software update and when it would be available. Maybe they will answer me in a day or two.

wb6ypf said:
Did you get the 811 from Dish Network or an independent retailer ?

Mine was installed by Radio Shack. They didn't have them in stock when I ordered mine. I think that was January 30 or 31. They said they had 3 due in on Tuesday. Mine was installed on Friday the 6th. I am also a new subscriber so I got the "free" 811 deal. So maybe my unit was shipped before they all of a sudden got scarce for whatever reason (maybe they found out that THEY DON't WORK!).

I take it you werent using component or DVI outputs? The S-vid and composite outputs have a dark image issue to be fixed in patch 265 (at least 2 months out).

Why are you not using component or DVI?

Also, 811 availability is a local issue. Most areas have none in stock. If you are lucky, like I was, you live in an area that does not have such high demand, and they are in stock.

Gordon Small said:
Be paranoid...

I saw a huge improvement on SD programs using DVI cable. S-Video on SD was unwatchable IMO.
I have a 57" RPTV.

Gordon Small said:
Be paranoid...

I've had the same problem and I spoke to a "senior teckkie" last night who assured me a fix was supposed to be out Friday. I think they might have a more serious problem and they know it, but as usual, we'll be the last to know.

bsic said:
I take it you werent using component or DVI outputs? The S-vid and composite outputs have a dark image issue to be fixed in patch 265 (at least 2 months out).

Why are you not using component or DVI?

Also, 811 availability is a local issue. Most areas have none in stock. If you are lucky, like I was, you live in an area that does not have such high demand, and they are in stock.

I have DVI, Component and S-Video hooked up. The dark picture problem is on all three outputs. I have the brightness turned to max and my wife mentioned last night that it's still too dark to watch (long term) . Incidently, the dark picture problem seems to be somehow related to program content. Some programming is worse than others... But hardly any programs really display a good bright image. When using the OTA input the picture is ok. OK, to be honest I really haven't been using the DVI or component outputs because I can't stretch the output to fit the screen (61" Samsung DLP) and maybe DVI and component output isn't as bad as the S-Video for the brightness issue. I'll revisit that today and see if my original impression still holds up.

Two months away for a new S/W release? AAARRGH!

One other thing... The 921 early adopters have a Dish person monitoring the 921 problems. Too bad they don't have someone to give some response to issues with other receivers.

Gordon

melvis1907 said:
I've had the same problem and I spoke to a "senior teckkie" last night who assured me a fix was supposed to be out Friday. I think they might have a more serious problem and they know it, but as usual, we'll be the last to know.

melvis, that's great news if they come through...

I was composing when you posted so I didn't see your post before I submitted mine...

As far as "we'll be the last to know" I agree. I worked in a S/W customer service area for many years and sometimes it was a management decision to not admit that there were any problems. Mostly this happened only when a few customers were experiencing the problem and they didn't want the whole customer base in an uproar. I can see how the thinking goes.

Gordon

Gordon Small said:
melvis, that's great news if they come through...

I was composing when you posted so I didn't see your post before I submitted mine...

As far as "we'll be the last to know" I agree. I worked in a S/W customer service area for many years and sometimes it was a management decision to not admit that there were any problems. Mostly this happened only when a few customers were experiencing the problem and they didn't want the whole customer base in an uproar. I can see how the thinking goes.

Gordon

When I was talking to this tech I mentioned that I was not the only person having this problem. He asked me how I knew this and I said all you have to do is check out this forum and look at the number of posts in the last month concerning the 811. He quickly changed the subject, so I knew they were aware of this forum. I agree, this is probably a management decision but what concerns me is that I have been told a software fix is in the works for a more than a month now. I'm no tech expert, but if it is taking this long to come up with a fix, there must be some serious issues they are trying to resolve. I'm betting they may have had a bad batch of hardware and the solution is going to be to replace some units. I hope I'm wrong.

I do not have the dark problem on my 811 via component outs. Have my contrats at 36 and brightness on 45 (out of 100). I don't use the Svideo tho so can't comment on that. I use the Svideo outon my 522 to watch/record SD on the same TV.

So... is there a 100% work-around for the "015 searching for satellite" problem?

Is there a way to avoid this lock up?

My channels look OK in brightness - on direct view Panasonic 34" CRT

Gordon Small said:
I have DVI, Component and S-Video hooked up. The dark picture problem is on all three outputs. I have the brightness turned to max and my wife mentioned last night that it's still too dark to watch (long term) . Incidently, the dark picture problem seems to be somehow related to program content. Some programming is worse than others... But hardly any programs really display a good bright image. When using the OTA input the picture is ok. OK, to be honest I really haven't been using the DVI or component outputs because I can't stretch the output to fit the screen (61" Samsung DLP) and maybe DVI and component output isn't as bad as the S-Video for the brightness issue. I'll revisit that today and see if my original impression still holds up.

Two months away for a new S/W release? AAARRGH!

One other thing... The 921 early adopters have a Dish person monitoring the 921 problems. Too bad they don't have someone to give some response to issues with other receivers.

Gordon

Im a little confused by some of your comments-- why cant you stretch using component/DVI outputs, and using the 811 to stretch it? My TV wont let me stretch with DVI/component, but the 811 "*" stretch mode will work on SD 4:3 viewing nicely.

You mentioned all three component/dvi/s-vid look dark and unwatchable. But then you mention "it may not be that bad". I dont know what you mean.

Everyone that has seen the dark image problem (that I've seen on this and the dbstalk forum) confirms that DVI/component is not dark at all. You are the first I know of that has seen *ALL* outputs dark. You may have a bad unit?

bsic said:
Im a little confused by some of your comments-- why cant you stretch using component/DVI outputs, and using the 811 to stretch it? My TV wont let me stretch with DVI/component, but the 811 "*" stretch mode will work on SD 4:3 viewing nicely.

You mentioned all three component/dvi/s-vid look dark and unwatchable. But then you mention "it may not be that bad". I dont know what you mean.

Everyone that has seen the dark image problem (that I've seen on this and the dbstalk forum) confirms that DVI/component is not dark at all. You are the first I know of that has seen *ALL* outputs dark. You may have a bad unit?

I haven't tried the stretch mode on the 831. I'll try it. :)

I'm not the only one seeing dark video on DVI out. See this thread. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4590 Although, "grumpy1 did not mention that he tried the component outputs he did mention the DVI.

I went back for a second look at the dark picture problem. The component and DVI are not as bad as the S-Video but they are still much darker than I think they should be. I still have to up the brightness to 100% to get an acceptable pic on DVI and component out. S-Video is still dark at 100% on the brightness.

You could be right about a bad unit. I'll wait and see if the S/W update is released on Friday and see what happens then.

Gordon,

I checked out the thread- and seemed that 95% of the folks saw no problem on DVI. I see overwhelming responses saying that S-Vid/Composite are unreasonable dark- but the component/dvi are just fine. I'd check your setup again- and replace the unit if you think its still dark... there are just too many people saying they dont see an issue on dvi/compon. If you do, I'd say your 811 is bad.

No issue on darkness here....only set up with component cables...no DVI......my receiver came from Sears though......maybe it matters?

lel7431 said:
So... is there a 100% work-around for the "015 searching for satellite" problem?

Is there a way to avoid this lock up?

My channels look OK in brightness - on direct view Panasonic 34" CRT

The best way to work around this is to use the browse buton first when going from an OTA channel to a sat. channel. This way you don't get the long searching for satellite screen.

Have to agree with Gordon here. DVI is better than S-Video, but still way too dark for my tastes. Some channels are better than others, but in general the picture quality is poor. Night scenes on the darker channels are unbearable, as the images all seem to run together. I suspect many people are plagued with the dark image problem to varying degrees, some of whom may not even be aware of the problem.

DISH is well aware of the darkness problem and advanced tech says it is only on some 811s. They feel the problem will be corrected with a software patch and are not prepared to replace 811s because of the darkness issue alone.

grumpy1 said:
DVI is better than S-Video, but still way too dark for my tastes. Some channels are better than others, but in general the picture quality is poor.
I, too, have the same issues with DVI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)