Dish 921

I had sent an email to ceo. I got a phone call back instead of an email. One of my questions was... If I sell my 921/6000/811 on ebay to someone that currently does Not have HD can they activate an HD Pak. The answer I was given was that they could activate only the current HD Pak, pay the higher price, and just not receive the mpeg4 channels but they would receive the rest of the HD channels. So, I guess it is ceo email roullette now too?

SatelliteGAL said:
I had sent an email to ceo. I got a phone call back instead of an email. One of my questions was... If I sell my 921/6000/811 on ebay to someone that currently does Not have HD can they activate an HD Pak. The answer I was given was that they could activate only the current HD Pak, pay the higher price, and just not receive the mpeg4 channels but they would receive the rest of the HD channels. So, I guess it is ceo email roulette now too?

No offense but you must have not understood what they told you. Did you talk to David Laslo or Natelie Winters? Those are the peeps that run the CEO or Escalations dept.

I have talked to both as I wanted to purchase a used 811 as a second unit from my brother. They specifically stated what everyone else agrees on. YOU CAN NOT "EVER" from Feb 2006 forward subscribe to ANY HD on any other then the new mpeg 4 models with the exception of if "YOU" the original owner have current old HD package on said receiver or unless its a authorized replacement unit under warranty exchange to "YOU".

Exact phrase from David Laslo CEO office supervisor. " Anyone buying a HD mpeg 2 grade Dish receiver either new in box or used from any dealer and or auction site will be very upset as we are under strict direction to have ZERO tolerance for any HD package activation of these units. They can be used for OTA HD and subscription SD PERIOD! end of story.

YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU THINK DIFFERENT!

No, I did not misunderstand because I repeated it back to him and asked it in more than one way. Contrary to what you may think.... I am not stupid. It doesnt matter to me one way or the other at this point because I am not selling my receivers and I already have mine activated. If you have your own contacts that are better than the people that I spoke to at the ceo office then I guess you will have all the correct answers.

Jim5506 said:
There are no free upgrades.
True; that's why I went to Comcast.
beatboy77 said:
Oh, I thought E* was like D* in that they do free upgrades. I currently have 3 HR10-250's with D* and I have it notated in my account that when my city goes to MPEG-4, I will get 3 new HD-DVR's, so I can enjoy the new MPEG-4 programming. I beleive they are called the HR20-250. I guess this would be a deal breaker for me then. Thanks for all the answers though guys!!

~Josh
  1. Is that perhaps why D* still charges more for their HD DVRs (even the non-Tivo ones), even though they're not MPEG-4 yet?
  2. Why can't E* do something like this for their existing customers? (Oh, I forget: E* hardly did ANYTHING for their existing customers until MPEG-4 came along...)

Please NO DRAMA! No one is calling you stupid. Just the opposite. There are as we very well know many CSR's and even CEO office people that don't even understand what they are saying.

They only reason I push the point is I would feel very bad for people believing they can buy off fleabay and get the old ( not that a 942 should be old) receivers turned on for HD. I think it is RUDE of Dish. Just don't want good Innocent people like yourself to get upset if they don't get what they want.

As you know, The CEO office probably will turn on someones mpeg 2 just to make them happy. But most people don't even know about the CEO office.

RBBrittain said:
True; that's why I went to Comcast.

1. Is that perhaps why D* still charges more for their HD DVRs (even the non-Tivo ones), even though they're not MPEG-4 yet?
  2. Why can't E* do something like this for their existing customers? (Oh, I forget: E* hardly did ANYTHING for their existing customers until MPEG-4 came along...)

GOOD LUCK~! I just wandered back from the darkside you call Comcast:devil: !

Been a lifelong dish guy and big dish guy. My nieghbor is supervisor for Comcast so he got me free hookup of service with the 2 new Motorola HD DVR units.

Here is what I experianced.

1. After my free setup I had the CHEAPEST HD programming package turned on.
It had zero premium channels. Just digital and HD to 2 tvs.
Programming price per month $ 83.55 Dvr price per month each 10.25 for a whopping total including taxes of 108.32 for basic service with HD and 2 dvrs. YUCK!!!

2. HATED DVR control box. Only positive was on-demand. That got old fast too.

3. HD quality vs. Dish. SO SO, not as sharp and our town is new and has all new head end and cables.

4. HD choices vs Dish. YEA RIGHT! DISH ROCKS!

5. SD QUALITY YUCK!!!!

6. Customer service was very good. But I think Dish is too.

In the end it was overpriced (at least in my area) not as good of quality and not enough choice! So good luck!

iceshark.... this is cut and pasted from an email I received last night. Since it is from David Laslo perhaps you will believe it.

Ms. Howard,

Thank you for your email. If you sold your equipment on Ebay, whoever purchases these receivers would be able to activated them on their DISH Network account. They would not be able to subscribe to the old HD services, only our new HD Gold, Silver, Bronze packages. But, due to these receivers being MPEG 2 the only HD content they would receive are the channels that were broadcasted in MPEG 2 before we changed to MPEG 4. So they would pay for all the HD channels and only receive the MPEG 2 content. They would be able to receive OTA channels.

Your upgrade I can provide 4 leased tuners. This can consist of a 622 and two 211’s. As long as you stay with in our 4 lease tuner maximum, you can upgrade your equipment to meet your needs.

Sincerely,

David Laslo

CEO Escalations

I got just the opposite answer - here is my e-mail and the answer from ceo@dishnetwork.com:

MY E-MAIL:

My parents currently have a DishNetwork 522 satellite DVR. They have never been a DishNetwork HD subscriber. If they buy a 942 DVR can they get it activated with the DishNetwork Bronze package despite the fact that they cannot receive the mpeg4 channels?

ANSWER:

If your parents wish to activate a 942 then they would have to subscribe to the Top 60 package. The HD Bronze is only available for customers who have our new VIP MPEG 4 models.

Thank you

XXXX XXXXXXX (name withheld to protect the innocent)

CEO Escalations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)