Dish 921

beatboy77

beatboy77

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2005
112
0
Colorado Springs, CO
I am currently with D* and am seriously considering switching to E*. Is the Dish 921 still considered a decent HD-DVR? The reason I ask is because with D* I have 3 HD-DVR's and would plan to buy two used 921's from Ebay if I switch. Does E* allow you to buy used equipment and activate it?

~Josh
 
StevenD

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
3,412
436
n
Dont do it. You will not be able to activate it with HD programming. To get HD programming, you will need to purchase or elase 622s.
 
Widescreen

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2006
449
0
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
It depends. If you don't want Dish's HD programming and having an OTA HD DVR is enough, then a 921 would probably work. If you want the Dish-delivered HD sat programming, Steven is right - you'd need a 622.
 
beatboy77

beatboy77

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2005
112
0
Colorado Springs, CO
That's strange, I am speaking with an E* CSR now and she said I can buy used 921's and activate assuming they come from a clean account with no balance. Why would I not be able to get HD?
 
Van

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
9,326
10
Virginia Beach
Basicly because dish has changed over to a new HD programming solution and the only ones that able to get the first, second, and third generation HD units to pick up HD are those with existing accounts. With your being a new sub you would have to get the new hd gear. What you would need to accomplish hd dvr in 3 locations would be 3 622's.
 
Jim5506

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
7,780
2,719
Lubbock, Texas
Could you activate the 921 with HD bronze and only get the mpeg2 HD and SD channels?
 
G

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
Van said:
Basicly because dish has changed over to a new HD programming solution and the only ones that able to get the first, second, and third generation HD units to pick up HD are those with existing accounts. With your being a new sub you would have to get the new hd gear. What you would need to accomplish hd dvr in 3 locations would be 3 622's.

The 921 is an mpeg2 receiver, all the new programing, including HD locals are marked as mpeg4. The 921 will not show the new programing.
 
S

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 11, 2004
665
0
East Coast
You can activate any 921 but if you don't already subscribe to HD programming prior to 2/1, you won't be able to get DISH HD programming on your 921. They stopped activating older HD Pack programming as of 2/28/06.
 
Jim5506

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
7,780
2,719
Lubbock, Texas
SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
You can activate any 921 but if you don't already subscribe to HD programming prior to 2/1, you won't be able to get DISH HD programming on your 921. They stopped activating older HD Pack programming as of 2/28/06.
To repeat myself - So can one activate the new HD programming with a 921 and just see the old mpeg2 programming? If not, why is dish offering refurb 921's, or are they?

Just chasing the rabbit!
 
beatboy77

beatboy77

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2005
112
0
Colorado Springs, CO
Could I do this. Sign-up for new service now and get one 622. Then buy two used 921's and activate them. Then when my city (Colorado Springs) switches to MPEG4 which I beleive is 05/15/06 get a free upgrade to two more 622's?

~Josh
 
Jim5506

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
7,780
2,719
Lubbock, Texas
beatboy77 said:
Could I do this. Sign-up for new service now and get one 622. Then buy two used 921's and activate them. Then when my city (Colorado Springs) switches to MPEG4 which I beleive is 05/15/06 get a free upgrade to two more 622's?

~Josh

There are no free upgrades.
 
beatboy77

beatboy77

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2005
112
0
Colorado Springs, CO
Oh, I thought E* was like D* in that they do free upgrades. I currently have 3 HR10-250's with D* and I have it notated in my account that when my city goes to MPEG-4, I will get 3 new HD-DVR's, so I can enjoy the new MPEG-4 programming. I beleive they are called the HR20-250. I guess this would be a deal breaker for me then. Thanks for all the answers though guys!!

~Josh
 
J

jkinser

Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
127
0
Minneapolis, MN
No - because the average uninformed Dish subscriber would complain that they weren't getting all the HD channels and then want a partial refund. It's all or nothing today.
 
S

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
4,087
293
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
Jim5506 said:
To repeat myself - So can one activate the new HD programming with a 921 and just see the old mpeg2 programming? If not, why is dish offering refurb 921's, or are they?

Just chasing the rabbit!

I disagree with most of the others. Dish told me that you could do just that. You can activate and pay for the new HD Pak and you would be able to see the mpeg2 programming but not the mpeg4. You just cant activate the old HD Pak and pay the lower price.
 
beatboy77

beatboy77

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2005
112
0
Colorado Springs, CO
SatelliteGAL said:
I disagree with most of the others. Dish told me that you could do just that. You can activate and pay for the new HD Pak and you would be able to see the mpeg2 programming but not the mpeg4. You just cant activate the old HD Pak and pay the lower price.

So what is the correct answer here? Could I buy a couple of Used 922's from accounts in good standing, activate them and get the National HD Channels. Would E* then allow my free upgrades to the 622 when my city switches to MPEG-4?

~Josh
 
BFG

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
8,207
0
Orlando
you could buy a 921 activate, you wont be able to get any dish hd channels beside hbo or showtime or the demo channel. You could turn it in for a $200 credit for an upgrade....
 
S

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
4,087
293
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
different questions from your original - You can activate yes

No free upgrade to the 622 - bottom line - I think you said that was the deal breaker for you anyway so the rest would be irrelevant.
 
Jim5506

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
7,780
2,719
Lubbock, Texas
I just got an email reply from ceo@dishnetwork.com:

You can activate a 921/942 BUT NOT for HD via satellite, only for AT60-AT180, etc packs - NO HD except OTA.
 
mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
2,099
0
Birmingham, AL
I would have thought you could buy a 622 and get one of the new HD packages and then add your 921's and get the HD channels minus the MPEG4 ones.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Z
Replies
2
Views
1K
ats7627
ats7627
I
Replies
9
Views
2K
Smith P.
S
C
Replies
3
Views
2K
FLee1936
F
J
Replies
48
Views
8K
mkerdman
M
T
Replies
44
Views
6K
BFG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top