Dish 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I am currently with D* and am seriously considering switching to E*. Is the Dish 921 still considered a decent HD-DVR? The reason I ask is because with D* I have 3 HD-DVR's and would plan to buy two used 921's from Ebay if I switch. Does E* allow you to buy used equipment and activate it?

~Josh

Dont do it. You will not be able to activate it with HD programming. To get HD programming, you will need to purchase or elase 622s.

It depends. If you don't want Dish's HD programming and having an OTA HD DVR is enough, then a 921 would probably work. If you want the Dish-delivered HD sat programming, Steven is right - you'd need a 622.

That's strange, I am speaking with an E* CSR now and she said I can buy used 921's and activate assuming they come from a clean account with no balance. Why would I not be able to get HD?

Basicly because dish has changed over to a new HD programming solution and the only ones that able to get the first, second, and third generation HD units to pick up HD are those with existing accounts. With your being a new sub you would have to get the new hd gear. What you would need to accomplish hd dvr in 3 locations would be 3 622's.

Van said:
Basicly because dish has changed over to a new HD programming solution and the only ones that able to get the first, second, and third generation HD units to pick up HD are those with existing accounts. With your being a new sub you would have to get the new hd gear. What you would need to accomplish hd dvr in 3 locations would be 3 622's.

The 921 is an mpeg2 receiver, all the new programing, including HD locals are marked as mpeg4. The 921 will not show the new programing.

You can activate any 921 but if you don't already subscribe to HD programming prior to 2/1, you won't be able to get DISH HD programming on your 921. They stopped activating older HD Pack programming as of 2/28/06.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
You can activate any 921 but if you don't already subscribe to HD programming prior to 2/1, you won't be able to get DISH HD programming on your 921. They stopped activating older HD Pack programming as of 2/28/06.
To repeat myself - So can one activate the new HD programming with a 921 and just see the old mpeg2 programming? If not, why is dish offering refurb 921's, or are they?

Just chasing the rabbit!

Could I do this. Sign-up for new service now and get one 622. Then buy two used 921's and activate them. Then when my city (Colorado Springs) switches to MPEG4 which I beleive is 05/15/06 get a free upgrade to two more 622's?

~Josh

beatboy77 said:
Could I do this. Sign-up for new service now and get one 622. Then buy two used 921's and activate them. Then when my city (Colorado Springs) switches to MPEG4 which I beleive is 05/15/06 get a free upgrade to two more 622's?

~Josh

There are no free upgrades.

Oh, I thought E* was like D* in that they do free upgrades. I currently have 3 HR10-250's with D* and I have it notated in my account that when my city goes to MPEG-4, I will get 3 new HD-DVR's, so I can enjoy the new MPEG-4 programming. I beleive they are called the HR20-250. I guess this would be a deal breaker for me then. Thanks for all the answers though guys!!

~Josh

No - because the average uninformed Dish subscriber would complain that they weren't getting all the HD channels and then want a partial refund. It's all or nothing today.

Jim5506 said:
To repeat myself - So can one activate the new HD programming with a 921 and just see the old mpeg2 programming? If not, why is dish offering refurb 921's, or are they?

Just chasing the rabbit!

I disagree with most of the others. Dish told me that you could do just that. You can activate and pay for the new HD Pak and you would be able to see the mpeg2 programming but not the mpeg4. You just cant activate the old HD Pak and pay the lower price.

SatelliteGAL said:
I disagree with most of the others. Dish told me that you could do just that. You can activate and pay for the new HD Pak and you would be able to see the mpeg2 programming but not the mpeg4. You just cant activate the old HD Pak and pay the lower price.

So what is the correct answer here? Could I buy a couple of Used 922's from accounts in good standing, activate them and get the National HD Channels. Would E* then allow my free upgrades to the 622 when my city switches to MPEG-4?

~Josh

you could buy a 921 activate, you wont be able to get any dish hd channels beside hbo or showtime or the demo channel. You could turn it in for a $200 credit for an upgrade....

I would have thought you could buy a 622 and get one of the new HD packages and then add your 921's and get the HD channels minus the MPEG4 ones.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)