Dish 922 ok?

It was advertised as a tv 2 in HD feature and you could sling your shows to a sling catcher or extender- coming soon. That never happened and it was what ruined the whole receiver for me. I kept it, till I read that DISH was never going to come through with the extender and the fee was higher than the 722k , so I traded it back in for a new 722k. Now it doesn't even sling anything if you buy one today. It is nothing more than a dumbed down 722k, without built in sling and you can't even use the sling usb attachment to sling your shows like the 722k does. Unless they have added this feature and I never heard it. You do get show tiles like the hopper has today. But ,this was one of my biggest disappointments with DISH . This receiver and the original Web tv/Dish player 7100/7200 models I had in 99. But I learned from this , never buy a receiver for promised features "coming soon". Also don't count on a receiver to keep features that came with it originally, because they can be changed or removed at will by DISH.
I wouldn't say a dumbed down 722, plus it has a larger hard drive. Was the largest at its time, at 1 TB. That all said, the 922 was the bane of my existence, while I worked there. That POS needs to just be put to pasture for good.

I suffered with one from 2010-2012. It never was stable, it would freeze or crash several times a week and the Sling portion never worked right. I finally replaced it with a 612 and never looked back.

I've had some real turkeys, 721, 7100, 4000 and this bomb.

I suffered with one from 2010-2012. It never was stable, it would freeze or crash several times a week and the Sling portion never worked right. I finally replaced it with a 612 and never looked back.

I've had some real turkeys, 721, 7100, 4000 and this bomb.

The original 7100 Dish players where ok when we all figured out how to upgrade the hard drives, and you had to forget about using webtv, or the built in games

The 721 was a very good receiver, along with the 4000.

Here is what was pure garbage...

#1 model 811. I had so many issues with these when they came out I smashed one with a hammer, and for spite did an RMA and made Dish replace it under warranty.

#2 model 921. It was big, bulky and had too many bugs.

#3 model 922. Too clunky to operate, and buggy

You would think the model 1000 would be on the list, but they actually worked good.

Some of the best receivers (for their time) model 5000, model 6000, model 942, model 721k, model 211k, model 508, model 721.

It was advertised as a tv 2 in HD feature and you could sling your shows to a sling catcher or extender- coming soon. That never happened and it was what ruined the whole receiver for me. I kept it, till I read that DISH was never going to come through with the extender and the fee was higher than the 722k , so I traded it back in for a new 722k. Now it doesn't even sling anything if you buy one today. It is nothing more than a dumbed down 722k, without built in sling and you can't even use the sling usb attachment to sling your shows like the 722k does. Unless they have added this feature and I never heard it. You do get show tiles like the hopper has today. But ,this was one of my biggest disappointments with DISH . This receiver and the original Web tv/Dish player 7100/7200 models I had in 99. But I learned from this , never buy a receiver for promised features "coming soon". Also don't count on a receiver to keep features that came with it originally, because they can be changed or removed at will by DISH.

Actually the Sling Catcher was a product that was made before DISH bought the company and released just after they did. In fact their advertising showed the Tivo being used. You can still find some today even new. The problem was no one was buying them, it had problems that DISH fixed sometime after buying the company with a software update, and it was expensive. The Sling Adaptor and Apps were a much better way to get the picture to a TV.

The Sling extender was DISH vaporware. It had a more focused use, to make the SD second output HD. From my memory it wouldn't work with the Sling adaptor (Meaning it would have been needing both - one for internet viewing and one for the second SD output -and not used at the same time) and like the Sling Adaptor would not work with any other Sling products. Looking back on it that all to me doomed it from the start.

How does it do VOD?
I know the 722 was slow and unreliable compared to the hoppers VOD.
Just wondering how the 922 compares.

Never a problem....So who ever made the last batch must of done something better and right?

Reactions: Troch77
I seems like the 922 has sort of the same GUI as the hopper and a 1 tb hard drive. But is known to be a little buggy. For 99 .00 I think I will give it a try . It would be nice if you could plug in a external hard drive to your 622 and make that your main drive. My old fios receivers would allow that .

the original 721 was horrid. a one second power glitch created at its worst a 5 0r more minute reboot.....

i finally sold mine cheap just to be rid of it.

the boxes software had no limits, one time jen put in too many recordings which put the box into endless reboot, till all the timers fired.......

plus it could only download software when new from a single slot....

with all the problems at one time i had 5 FIVE non functional boxes decorating my living room and dish tech support was totally clueless......

my theory. in a effort to prevent hacking dish comparmized software so well, that no one really knew what was going on....

which led to many glitches etc.

my tivos run fantastic...... nary a reboot ever

Will they still activate a 922? I thought they were trying to phase them out completely, and trying to move everyone over to a 722K or Hopper series.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

The 922 was a good box for us for nearly 3 years. We never had a problem with it and it worked fine. However, the 922 was the precursor to the Hopper line that is easily superior. I consider the 922 akin to the 721: they were tech that that seemed something of a placeholder for better boxes to come, kind of the step just before the STB we were all waiting for.

The one thing I do miss is the 922's superior color scheme for the guide. It is much easier on the eyes and just better looking than the Hopper's WHITE background for black text for the EPG. And I also liked the status lights on the 922 better. I know, the H3 has NO record light, nor any light. FWIW, TiVo's latest Bolt line has NO LIGHTS either.

Reactions: TheKrell
Actually the Sling Catcher was a product that was made before DISH bought the company and released just after they did. In fact their advertising showed the Tivo being used. You can still find some today even new. The problem was no one was buying them, it had problems that DISH fixed sometime after buying the company with a software update, and it was expensive. The Sling Adaptor and Apps were a much better way to get the picture to a TV.

The Sling extender was DISH vaporware. It had a more focused use, to make the SD second output HD. From my memory it wouldn't work with the Sling adaptor (Meaning it would have been needing both - one for internet viewing and one for the second SD output -and not used at the same time) and like the Sling Adaptor would not work with any other Sling products. Looking back on it that all to me doomed it from the start.
And mobile tech such as smart phones and tablets were coming of age and the planned Dish portable monitor (to be used in like the Kitchen etc.) that would allow one to view what was Slinged from a Dish box inside your home no longer made sense, so that device was kaboshed, never to see the light of day. FWIW, the old French company player (I can't remember the name of that device) that allowed transferring of recordings was also seen as unnecessary when smart phones and tablets came along.

It seems for a very long time there was a desire for us folks for taking our TV "everywhere" and Dish/Echostar really tried to meet that need with R&D and serious plans and even partnered with that French company player thingy. We were ahead of our times. It would take years for the mobile devices to become reality and ubiquitous such that MVPD's need not develop their own hardware. It seems for every want we TV viewers desired, technology was not up to par and we had to wait for it to catch up, from DVR's to everything else we take for granted as I view my recordings on my tablet or phone.

It is all about trying to meet the desires of it subscribers and investing in a solution, then to have technology catch up and make all that sweat years before unnecessary.

Reactions: Tampa8
The 721 was an EXCELLENT receiver. I know. I had seven of them flow thru my house.....

Well, when it was working...

FWIW, the old French company player (I can't remember the name of that device) that allowed transferring of recordings was also seen as unnecessary when smart phones and tablets came along.

That company was called Archos, and they made the PocketDish. They (or maybe it was Dish) also made a free plug-in for Archos 500 and 600 series PMPs IIRC. I had a 404CC (a camcorder version of the 404) which, alas, was too early and had no such plug-in available. :(

I also had a very early Ericsson GSM phone with a pull out stylus, touch sensitive screen, and handwriting recognition. Ah, the memories.

Edited to add: I should say, "Have", not "Had". I think I still have both of these somewhere.

The original 7100 Dish players where ok when we all figured out how to upgrade the hard drives, and you had to forget about using webtv, or the built in games

The 721 was a very good receiver, along with the 4000.

Here is what was pure garbage...

#1 model 811. I had so many issues with these when they came out I smashed one with a hammer, and for spite did an RMA and made Dish replace it under warranty.

#2 model 921. It was big, bulky and had too many bugs.

#3 model 922. Too clunky to operate, and buggy

You would think the model 1000 would be on the list, but they actually worked good.

Some of the best receivers (for their time) model 5000, model 6000, model 942, model 721k, model 211k, model 508, model 721.
went to a service call with one of those things on the account. Tried every troubleshoot known to get the thing to work. No dice. I even set up a temp dish and temp cable by passing everything.
The custy was desperate to keep the thing because it was also her only access to the internet. I had to tell her that it just was done for. She had a very hard time accepting this. Then of course she asked why we could not replace it. This was probably 2006 or or so. Dish had stopped the product and there were none to be had. No more activations of them either.
She got pissed and canceled her account. Oh well.

The 721 was an EXCELLENT receiver. I know. I had seven of them flow thru my house.....

Well, when it was working...

HO HO, when released the rebbot time was a few minutes, the operators manual claimed that would get shorter.

But it kept getting longer. might have been over 10 minutes, after a mini second power bump. A REAL PIA

i put the 721 on a UPS, along with the tv.

sometime later jen my wife at the time totally freaked out when a power failure occured, the entire neighborhood went dark. but the tv stayed on'
it was a real live twilight zone moment:):):):):)

She was so upset she couldnt talk:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts