Dish 922 ok?

jtoo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Maine
Hi again,

I see via eBay I can buy a 922 for a pretty cheap price, are those even supported anymore?

Hi again,

I see via eBay I can buy a 922 for a pretty cheap price, are those even supported anymore?

I believe there was only a rumor about them discontinuing it completely but think it was put to rest....Think its been a year that they were turning off the Sling portion on any new ones....Used one? Good question if the Sling part would work...

Hi again,

Yes they are supported, But IMO they are Garbage.
722k is a better alternative.
I think you can even put a sling adapter on it, if that's what you want the 922 for.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I believe there was only a rumor about them discontinuing it completely but think it was put to rest....Think its been a year that they were turning off the Sling portion on any new ones....Used one? Good question if the Sling part would work...
IIRC, new or used, any newly "activated" unit will have Sling disabled.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell
How bad are the 922 ? I can buy a new one for 99.00 not a bad price . If it's as bad as a dish player I will stay away but if it's so so for 99.00 I will give it a try . Worst case is I have a spare boat anchor.

I had a dishplayer and I won't go that way again. I have a 622 that I just turned back on . Not happy with my Hws and Joey since the carbon upgrade. I hope dish starts making new receivers instead of just the whole home dvr system.

Reactions: dare2be
Is a 922 considered a 1 tv receiver since sling is disabled. I was wondering what the cost of the extra receiver would be.

Is a 922 considered a 1 tv receiver since sling is disabled.

It's more like a 722K than a one "experience" receiver such as the 612. IIRC it takes the plug-in module with 2 OTA tuners, so that would be 4 tuners in all. I wonder if the Sling-disabled 922 will accept the Sling Adapter like the 722?

The 922 never caught on.
It was advertised as a tv 2 in HD feature and you could sling your shows to a sling catcher or extender- coming soon. That never happened and it was what ruined the whole receiver for me. I kept it, till I read that DISH was never going to come through with the extender and the fee was higher than the 722k , so I traded it back in for a new 722k. Now it doesn't even sling anything if you buy one today. It is nothing more than a dumbed down 722k, without built in sling and you can't even use the sling usb attachment to sling your shows like the 722k does. Unless they have added this feature and I never heard it. You do get show tiles like the hopper has today. But ,this was one of my biggest disappointments with DISH . This receiver and the original Web tv/Dish player 7100/7200 models I had in 99. But I learned from this , never buy a receiver for promised features "coming soon". Also don't count on a receiver to keep features that came with it originally, because they can be changed or removed at will by DISH.

Let me make this perfectly clear.

It is a BAD idea to buy one today. It is CRAP. No future to it. Not long for this world.

Never mind an emotional attachment to buying one and saving dollars. It ain't gonna work out.

GIVE IT UP. Buy a more modern receiver, or, more logically, lease.

PERIOD.