Dish-ABC (and other) Dispute(s)

wassupTC

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Is there any hope that this dispute will ever get worked out in my lifetime? (only half kidding)

What has it been now, three years? Seriously, come to terms already. The fact that this dispute has lasted for as long as it has must be discouraging to the ABC watchers out there; plus the Big 10 Network getting dropped for a bit and then added back made me a little nervous. I'm probably not leaving Dish anytime soon, and it's likely that when I eventually drop Dish that I will be dropping any sort of television utility provider (Cable or Satellite).

Still holding out hope, but not much. It would just make me crazy if I sit and think about it too much. Dish is a great innovator and great at keeping prices low, but Charlie, why not drop little viewed channels in favor of getting HD (or any feed for that matter) for the channels that people really enjoy and watch.

Anyway. Not that anyone has any answer other than "They still are in discussions from time to time." but I thought I put it out there more as a 'bump' to the topic in general.

Thank you for the answers. Everyone here is much better connected than any other source on the Internet.

Take care,
TC

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mean to say AMC in your subject?

AMC has been off the air for a little over three months, not three years. Exaggeration in such instances doesn't make your point stronger.

There's a lot going on in the background on this one as AMC's parent company and DISH have been prepping for a major court battle for some time now that has only begun to be heard. The funny part is that the channels may prefer the short-term cash of a court award to the viewers.

I think by ABC he means the Disney dispute which includes the Disney channels and ABC Family.

I honestly don't see any major changes happening anytime soon. The Disney channels not deing in HD really hasn't been that big of a deal and AMC being dropped hasn't hurt them as bad as AMC thinks it does. I could see a deal with AMC coming before Disney but who knows.

The post was initiated by my curiosity of any hope in Dish resolving its dispute with ABC the parent company of ESPN, Disney, et al. It has, I think, been three years. Three months is nothing. I understand your confusion, but I think the three years estimated time is correct for the ongoing Dish-ABC dispute. I wish all the best to the AMC watchers out there. Hopefully you won't have to suffer that long.

Disney is thje paernt of ABC not the other way around. The title makes it look like there is a dispute with the ABC owned stations.

Disney is the parent company of ABC and ESPN, I think that's what is throwing others off. To answer your question about when the disputes will be over, who knows? I haven't heard any updates and I don't think Scott has heard anything either. Doesn't look like anytime soon.

Disney is thje paernt of ABC not the other way around. The title makes it look like there is a dispute with the ABC owned stations.

Granted, my mistake. Any way you slice it; several channels that used to be in HD are HD no longer and additional channels that could be provided to Dish customers in HD, i.e. ESPNU, aren't.

This has to be one of the longest running disputes with one of the country's biggest entertainment companies, ever.

I liked ESPN News HD when it had the extended bottom line. Just before Dish lost it, it switched to the standard bottom line. I thought at the time it was over coverage of some big sports event (forget which one). Obviously, not the case. Since ESPN wants to drop its true SD feed for a down converted HD feed, I say Dish should be allowed to buy the HD, not SD, and down convert it themselves.

This is one dispute that I hope goes on until Disney relents in its ridiculous demand to get paid twice for the same content. HD and SD are not different channels (as demonstrated by the fact that Disney does not provide a separate SD ESPN feed, it's up to the providers to downrez the HD feed for their SD subs). If Dish caves on this all channel owners will want the same deal and our bills will skyrocket.

This is not going to be settled until the lawsuit and appeals are over and/or contract renewal time. It's a toss-up as to which comes first.

You know, I've been thinking about it, and I like sports, but I really could do without ESPN, too much trash in their offerings.

I have kept track of how much I watch ESPN this last couple of weeks, and except for surfing by a couple of football games on Saturday, I really do not watch their talking heads and other crap. They are becoming more and more like the Weather Channel - irrelevant.

AND WHERE'S THE CURLING, ESPN?

You know, I've been thinking about it, and I like sports, but I really could do without ESPN, too much trash in their offerings.

I have kept track of how much I watch ESPN this last couple of weeks, and except for surfing by a couple of football games on Saturday, I really do not watch their talking heads and other crap. They are becoming more and more like the Weather Channel - irrelevant.

AND WHERE'S THE CURLING, ESPN?

Except for the occasional Monday Night Football game or a college football game that I am really interested in. I rarely turn it on anymore.

Of course Dallas is playing the Bears tonight, so when I get home around 9:15, I'll check in to see if the Cowboys are winning, then I might watch.

Only thing I watch is Tennis on ESPN. Would gladly trade it, though, for saving $5 on the bill each month. Though if they did have curling, I actually might watch more.

Still, I think this will have to wait until the suits are resolved with Disney over double paying for the same feed.

This is one dispute that I hope goes on until Disney relents in its ridiculous demand to get paid twice for the same content. HD and SD are not different channels (as demonstrated by the fact that Disney does not provide a separate SD ESPN feed, it's up to the providers to downrez the HD feed for their SD subs). If Dish caves on this all channel owners will want the same deal and our bills will skyrocket.

I understand what you are saying.........but why is it Dish is always the one fighting the battle...........does Direct tv not have the same programming? yet they seldom have long lasting disputes............only with Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts