Dish about to lose even MORE local channels

I just sent an e-mail to them congratulating them on their decision to be total Weasels!

To whom it may concern,

I wanted to send a note "thanking" the open minded executive that decided to muzzle comments on the Dish Network dispute page (DISH NETWORK MAY LOSE CARRIAGE OF KTEN(TV) [Click here for details]). Anyone knows that when comments and public opinion are going against the wishes of the corporate mind-set, the solution is not to soften or at least reassess the corporate position. The solution is to silence the opposition, pretend it's not there, and charge on with the plans no matter how unpopular and counter productive they may be. The courage it takes to remove comments that do not support the publisher's position from a web page that asks for public input lets me know just what a fine company this must be and how much they really care about the public which they are charged to serve.

This needs to be a legislative issue, where a station that claims viewers in a DMA is responsible for making a royalty free signal available to that viewer. That's why they were granted this monopoly in the first place.

Time to write my senator. Oh, wait. I live in Illinois. We don't have one of those, just a crooked govenor. :(

Probably the most practical approach is to try and get that clause written into the new revision of SHVIA

While I do watch local news and weather for a bit in the morning, I'd gladly give up all the locals for a national HD feed of the networks. I currently get the national PBS feed, albeit in SD, and much prefer it over the local PBS stations. Probably not politically possible though.

While I do watch local news and weather for a bit in the morning, I'd gladly give up all the locals for a national HD feed of the networks. I currently get the national PBS feed, albeit in SD, and much prefer it over the local PBS stations. Probably not politically possible though.

You got that right! I live in an area where receiving local OTA is not possible. The signal is blocked by mountains. The bigest reason I sub to DISH is for the locals. If the national feed was available to every location the locals could kiss my a$$. Like you said about the only reason to keep locals is for the news and weather. Sometimes I even hate the locals when they block a national feed for a local event.

I hear ya. I wrote Senator Shelby and the FCC chairman about this 'locals' stuff and Dish not even being aloud to carried 'significantly watched' stations that were not in the DMA. I live in the SE corner of AL (Dothan) which does not have an NBC within it's DMA. So it's either put an giant antenna on the roof (which is not cool in my neighborhood) or go without NBC. I chose no NBC. FCC it is a civil lawsuit filed by locals which resulted in a punitive judgement against Dish. The local NBC from Panama City and Montgomery is coming in my antenna from spotbeam but is stopped by smartcard for legal reasons. End result NBC has LOST a viewer, there is no punishment to Dish. This story is repeated all over the country in towns that have only 2 or 3 stations and next closest is a different DMA. I loved it when I got New York and LA feeds back in the 90s.

The river runs deep...

This is because the various networks have an inflated perception of self worth. They're getting too big for their britches.
The last time I checked the networks still offered the most popular programming...the Cable Favorites couldn't touch CSI, 24, Survivor, American Idol, etc. A bigger fleecing is my grandmother having to pay $2-$3 for the ESPN channels as part of her basic channel lineup...she doesn't even watch sports.:eek:

When E* or D* or your local cable company chop channels, don't holler at the satellite or cable company. Make your feelings known to the network trying to jump on the extortion band wagon that their fee demands are going to price them out of business.
It won't do much good...until, well...I will just quote myself from another thread.

riffjim4069 said:
I don't see one Viacom channel that I actually watch. Nevertheless, these kinds of disputes will continue until the public is given a la carte choices. There is nothing wrong with the programming megapacks (good value for some people), but please don't make me purchase 200+ channels of crap TV just so I can watch a handful of quality channels in the Top-Tier package.

Why do programmers charge the MSOs, like Dish Network and Time Warner, when they should be setting the price for the entire American public. If you want to add MTV to your lineup, it's the same price whether you're with E*, D*, FiOS, or Cable. A la carte let's the people decide what programming they want, and the price they are willing to pay. The MSOs can be judged by their efficiently, reliability, picture qualtiy, and value added services like DVR, Slingbox like services, etc.

1. All channels should be priced "A la carte" to the subscriber, and not to the networks.
2. Any channels electing to "advertise and run informercials" should be required to submit their signals to MSOs (and subscribers) free of charge.
3. Only channels that do not accept advertiser dollars are permitted to charge for services on Cable, DBS, or IPTV.
4. Good content will survive...more than 50% of the channels littering our airwaves will die (thank goodness)!

They have increased viewership BECAUSE of the satellite and cable companies and I believe their ad revenues are tied to the number of viewers they have.
This is symbiotic relationship and, if anything, you have it backwards. DBS has grown from approximately 10 million to 30 million paying customers since Must Carry went into effect. Anyway, the problems are industry-wide and, in my opinion, there are many at fault: the NAB, the NCTA, their paid lobbyist, and a House and Senate full of members on the take. Something HAS GOT TO CHANGE. Here it is 16-years after the Cable Act of 1992...and I am still be forced to pay for 200+ channels of garbage TV just so I can watch a handful of "My Favorites" which have conveniently been placed into the most costly programming tier. What are the odds of this happening?:rolleyes:

Also, why the heck can't I but a decently digital cable ready HD DVR? Hasn't the FCC been fighting for consumers rights to purchase advanced set-top-boxes made by the CE Industry? The Cable Cartel (Motorola, Scientific-Atlanta, Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox, Verizon) provide a lot of junk...and the overpriced Tivo HD box is only slightly less repulsive. Apparently E* can't crack the cable cartel with their award-winning HD DVR and set-top-boxes.:mad:

But I digress...:eek:

And ESPN expects over $2.5 billion in retrans revenue in 2009.
But why would ESPN require retrans revenue when, the last time I checked, they are running commercials and taking money from sponsors just like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC? Apparently, some people believe that it is acceptable for ESPN to charge customers on a PAY TV service, but the networks (the creators of the most popular programming) should just suck it up and stop their bellyaching.:rolleyes:

One thing is for sure...we need a lot of changes in the programming, cable and DBS industries.

But why would ESPN require retrans revenue when, the last time I checked, they are running commercials and taking money from sponsors just like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC? Apparently, some people believe that it is acceptable for ESPN to charge customers on a PAY TV service, but the networks (the creators of the most popular programming) should just suck it up and stop their bellyaching.:rolleyes:

One thing is for sure...we need a lot of changes in the programming, cable and DBS industries.

It's not "the networks" that are whining, it's the affiliates. The affiliates don't create "the most popular programming" they simply rebroadcast it. Broadcasters and cable networks operate under different rules and business models.

NightRdyer

If you feel that the local station is to blame for the impasse with Dish Network, I recommend that you apply pressure by contacting their local advertisers and politely inform them that you will no longer do business with them until your local station is again carried by Dish Network. As soon as one or two of these advertisers contacts the local station and threatens to yank their advertising, you will witness a quick resolution of this problem.

I just spoke with a CSR and they said that KTEN will get dropped tonight. Has not happened yet but, they say it is coming.

The last time I checked the networks still offered the most popular programming...the Cable Favorites couldn't touch CSI, 24, Survivor, American Idol, etc. A bigger fleecing is my grandmother having to pay $2-$3 for the ESPN channels as part of her basic channel lineup...she doesn't even watch sports.:eek:

Well - this is like taxes - her tax dollars certainly pay for a lot of things she does not directly benefit from, such as the local schools. If only those that directly benefited from something paid for it, nobody could afford it - so they have to spread the pain a bit.

I just noticed that if you search availble locals from my address on the E* website, they have already pulled KTEN off the list.

Sure enough, just checked our ranch address down there, and no KTEN. Maybe the morons running Lockwood will get the point. I remember when KTEN left Ada for Durant and then eventually Denison. I am still surprised they went with a CW subchannel instead of ABC. KTEN used to carry ABC in the late 70's early 80's. They would have had a lot more bargaining power with ABC. I remember on weekends at my Grandparents ranch in Seminole, I could swing the antenna around and pick up ABC from either OKC, Tulsa or Ada depending on what games or shows we wanted to watch.

Sure enough, just checked our ranch address down there, and no KTEN. Maybe the morons running Lockwood will get the point. I remember when KTEN left Ada for Durant and then eventually Denison. I am still surprised they went with a CW subchannel instead of ABC. KTEN used to carry ABC in the late 70's early 80's. They would have had a lot more bargaining power with ABC. I remember on weekends at my Grandparents ranch in Seminole, I could swing the antenna around and pick up ABC from either OKC, Tulsa or Ada depending on what games or shows we wanted to watch.
Yep, should have went with ABC, KTEN actually carried a FOX affliation at one time also. If you go to Lockwood's corporate site at www.lockwoodbroadcasting.com you will se that they are a fly by night operation. None of the links work at all. I don't know why they are not in talks with ABC, but KTEN is the only major affiliate that lockwood carries. All of their other channels are CW affliates.

From what I've heard, the new digital transition boxes will enhance the signal you get,improving pickup.They say it will also pull in new channels. Just have to get the new converter box and find out. Trial and Error,like so many of man's achievements!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)