DISH Acquires DBS and OTT Assets from EchoStar

From an end user perspective, I hope that it is Verizon. I would love a deal like DTV has with ATT (unlimited data streaming for Dish).

Verizon's CEO has said repeatedly that they will never again do unlimited data. They are aggressively forcing the last few remaining grandfathered unlimited data folks off their plans. I'm on VZW and would love unlimited too, but it's a pipedream

It won't be Verizon. VZW is merging with Charter and working on an MVNO service with Comcast

Verizon isn't definitely merging with Charter, they are "interested" in such a deal, but haven't completed (or even started if you ask some people) negotiations, and there's no reason to think that they will. Charter is extremely expensive if someone wants to buy it, and Verizon might be interested in merging with someone else in the same field (like, say, Dish)

And the Comcast MVNO is kind of being done under duress. Verizon would rather not but they agreed several years ago that Comcast could start an MVNO in exchange for Comcast selling Verizon some spectrum. Verizon and Comcast already compete in the video business, so that wouldn't be a new wrinkle if they merged with Dish.

I guess we'll see. Verizon had a disappointing 4th Quarter, and they're starting to come under some pressure to compete on price (finally). Being able to merge with Dish and bundle like the ATT/DTV deal would be nice. I'm just doubtful of it. Verizon's other mergers don't make a lot of sense. Yahoo? Aol? What were they doing there? Hope I'm wrong.

I would love a deal like DTV has with ATT (unlimited data streaming for Dish).

Verizon's CEO has said repeatedly that they will never again do unlimited data.
Not full-blown, everything unlimited data, just unlimited when used for certain services. Verizon in fact does offer "unlimited" data -- for people using the NFL app (I think it's that one). Use it to watch football games (??). They also had some deal with G90 (some video related service that pretty much failed) where data usage was not counted.

What I think this means is that it's a step in the direction of a merger. Basically, the technical side of the business, the uplinks, the fiber network and the OTT platform went back to Dish. This smells like Charlie is in the process of finalizing a deal with a telecom player IE: Tmobile or Verizon, ect. He's about to pull an AT&T by having all of these assets as a part of the Dish brand. He can now sell the Dish brand with the technical capabilities to anyone who wants to bid on it. Mark this post. Go buy some Dish Stock. I would buy some Tmobile stock as well. From what John L (Tmobile) said at CES and Charlie is doing, this could be Charlie's play out of the DBS market into retirement and handing Dish off to someone who can do something good with it. Oh boy things are about to get interesting if this is how it all plays out!!!!

My speculation is that Tmobile is the bidder.

Your probably right.

Move sling to Dish and move hughesnet to echo star.

Reactions: Jillian2
feds probably wouldnt allow a verizon merger, since verizon fios is around.

but in the current environment anything is possible:(

They didn't block the AT&T / DirecTV merger even though AT&T had UVerse and the environment was much different as you pointed out.

Reactions: lakebum431
Its funny...when they did the big split, everyone was all like "Because Merger is coming!!!"

Now, they are re-combining, and everyone is again "Because Merger is coming!!!" :D

Yeah, but the world is a lot different now than it was back then. Back then the rationale was probably that the merger partner was likely to be another run at DirecTV

This time, Dish has spectrum (they picked up a little more as part of this deal...Echostar owned part of it) and Sling (Echostar owned part of sling + the technology behind it). Those are both things that Verizon are likely to want. And, with the set top business folded into Dish, they can utilize that within Verizon with FiOS just like AT&T is working towards with U-Verse and DirecTV

As much as I hate Verizon, I would rather see a Merger with them than TMOBILE.
Verizon has an Infrastructure already in place that towers anything Tmobile could dream of .

TMOBILE merger, would be a very Ho Hum merger.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)