Dish adds Smithsonian Channel as part of CBS Agreement

I am hearing we will have it within the next 30 days.

I wonder what package it will be in. If I remember correctly, years ago it was in HD Platinum (what is now Blockbuster @ Home) on channel 374 (or something close to that) as an HD only channel. However, I know from previous channels added back or rebrandings,etc. like Sundance Channel, Fashion TV, Velocity,etc. that the channels end up in entirely new packages. However, this does not always hurt my feelings if I do not watch the channel or would not watch the channel after the rebranding to incur a future price increase. To be honest. I do not think I ever watched The Smithsonian Channel when we had it those years or even when we have it on the Roku. However, I am sure son may enjoy it. From what I remember though, it seemed like the same programs over and over again.

It definitely ran programs over and over, but that was quite awhile ago so I don't know what Smithsonian has now. Seems like a channel that would be in the Top 250.

It definitely ran programs over and over, but that was quite awhile ago so I don't know what Smithsonian has now. Seems like a channel that would be in the Top 250.

I keep reading this about this channel, but all channels run the same things over & over.......so why was this channel any different

Because most channels have 50 hours of programming to run over and over and over again. Then change programs the following week. With Smithsonian, at least when it was on Dish before, they seemed to have had 7 hours of programming total.

Last edited:
When you pick Dish network here is what comes up.

OH NO!
Unfortunately, DISH does not offer Smithsonian Channel in your area. Tell your provider you want Smithsonian Channel as part of your channel lineup! Click here to request it now.

If you hear anything about the Military History Channel, please be sure to trumpet it from on high.
I posted in another forum that i had contacted dish on befalf of my father. Someone identifying himself from the dish ceo corporate offices called me a few days later and claimed that they were waiting to decide where to place the channel in the guide. Mind you, this was after he first told me that he would put in a request for the channel.

After he said that he would put in the request, i asked why he needed to request a channel that was already mentioned in the press release back in august? He put me on hold and came back on and said the thing about channel placement. Dont know how true it is

Reactions: TheKrell
I posted in another forum that i had contacted dish on befalf of my father. Someone identifying himself from the dish ceo corporate offices called me a few days later and claimed that they were waiting to decide where to place the channel in the guide. Mind you, this was after he first told me that he would put in a request for the channel.
Was it the Office of the President? If so, they are glorified CSRs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts