Dish adds Smithsonian Channel as part of CBS Agreement

I get about 4 seconds, total, of commercial time, including the station spot, each time. I can live with that. I see no reason to attempt to push buttons to make that 4 seconds go away....

The idea is that I am conditioned to hit the skip button by all the non-PTAT programming I watch and my reaction when I see the screen blackout is to hit the skip button 4-6 times - I forget I am watching an AutoHop program. If I remember not to hit the button, it is fine with me but the urge comes automatically before I have a chance to think - my skip forward is faster than their AutoHop.

The idea is that I am conditioned to hit the skip button by all the non-PTAT programming I watch and my reaction when I see the screen blackout is to hit the skip button 4-6 times - I forget I am watching an AutoHop program. If I remember not to hit the button, it is fine with me but the urge comes automatically before I have a chance to think - my skip forward is faster than their AutoHop.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of my viewing is non PTAT. I have a simple system that I use. When I am watching PTAT the remote sits on the end table. When non PTAT it is on my chair arm. Occasionally, while watching PTAT I'll go to pause, for whatever reason :), then the remote is on the chair arm until I catch up, or not.... :D

I do that as well, but usually only once :)

Last edited:
LOL, I am the same way with the auto urge. I still use the Skip forward button for AutoHop but only hit the button one time. As soon as a segment ends or I hear "we will be right back, etc" I hit the button one time. Shaves off a little time which is a lot for us skip forward phobia folks. LOL

I wouldn't count on it. :)

You know, back when we had 30 real channels on our massive 60 channel cable system I couldn't wait to get more channels. Now that I have close to 300 channels to choose from I realize that we were better off with 30. Why? Because we had the same amount of real content. The only difference was we paid 30-40 bucks a month for it instead of 130 to 200 bucks a month.

You know, back when we had 30 real channels on our massive 60 channel cable system I couldn't wait to get more channels. Now that I have close to 300 channels to choose from I realize that we were better off with 30. Why? Because we had the same amount of real content. The only difference was we paid 30-40 bucks a month for it instead of 130 to 200 bucks a month.

Yet you constantly see people online begging for their provider to carry more channels.

Reactions: TNGTony and ChadT41

I think you would be much happier if they scrapped the channels and just offered a VOD service and you paid for what you watch on a show by show basis

I think you would be much happier if they scrapped the channels and just offered a VOD service and you paid for what you watch on a show by show basis

I'd like to see providers offer both options. I myself prefer to have a bundled package because my family watches a variety of programming and a bundled package offers me everything for a reasonable price. I know some people could get by much cheaper just by getting only the channels they want to watch though.

I'd like to see providers offer both options. I myself prefer to have a bundled package because my family watches a variety of programming and a bundled package offers me everything for a reasonable price. I know some people could get by much cheaper just by getting only the channels they want to watch though.
How much do they really watch? I prefer HBO on demand but the other channels are fine

How much do they really watch? I prefer HBO on demand but the other channels are fine

My wife likes watching network TV, the game show network, lifetime, hgtv, diy, espn and some movie channels. My son pretty much just watches the cartoon channels. I watch all the sports channels, amc, diy, hgtv, network TV, movie channels, discovery, history, nat geo, comedy central, tnt, tbs, fx, some of the cartoon channels and whatever else catches my eye when I'm surfing through the guide.

It drives me crazy when people complain about how there is never anything on. I feel there are too many good shows on TV and I don't have enough time to watch them.

I watch the 4 networks and a few programs on TNT, USA, HGTV, Discovery, CMT, lifetime and Hallmark movies and a few Epix 1 movies. Never watch any of the other channels. That's 8 cable channels @ $9 per channel, since I have an OTA antenna. I used to surf, but hate watching commercials, so I record everything and skip commercials. Would I be better off with alacart. How much would each channel cost. I used to pay $2 per channel when I had alacart with the big dish. I got 10 channels for $20 per month.

There used to be some pretty good commercials until the ABA and the medicine wagon people turned their members loose. I never watch anything live either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts