Dish adds Smithsonian Channel as part of CBS Agreement

I'd sure expect Smithsonian to be in my 250 pack. I'd be a bit peeved if it was only in BB@H. Certainly would not pay more for it.

Yes sir, I am expecting it to be in at least the Top250. Channels from there have already migrated down.

So wait. Everyone touted the auto hop feature when the hopper came out and now that Charlie has caved to two networks the auto hop isn't a noticeable feature to the masses? And some of you are saying it isn't a big deal not having it? Without auto hop the hopper is a genie with two less tuners.

Reactions: Hall
So wait. Everyone touted the auto hop feature when the hopper came out and now that Charlie has caved to two networks the auto hop isn't a noticeable feature to the masses? And some of you are saying it isn't a big deal not having it? Without auto hop the hopper is a genie with two less tuners.
Genie has PTAT? When the hopper first came out, autohop was not included. That came after the fact, so no it is not a big deal. Now I get to watch shows I never thought I would, such as Blackish and a few others from ABC only because of PTAT.

Reactions: JTBenson
Only markets that have O&O ABC and CBS stations are affected by the auto-hop delay. Those of us who are not in those markets still enjoy it. I spent many days with Genie at my brother-in-laws while he was ill...and I always dreamed of Hopper.

Seeing DISH has already caved in on CBS and ABC it should be a given NBC & FOX will also get a concession on Hopper at renewal time. Now how will they justify the higher monthly prices on Hopper?
Charlie isn't caving in, it was ll part of his plan to use Auto-hop as leverage and a "false concession" with dealing with the broadcasters. The broadcasters know they had NO CHANCE of winning their suits against Auto-hop and now only require Dish to no activate until after the day in accordance with C3 or C7 window deals they have with media buyers. It was really a Les Moonves "cave in" after vowing to eliminate Auto-hop and having stated "we can not allow Auto-hop [to exiest] . . ." Now, it seems, old Les has made pretty much the same deal Disney made. This is hardly the scorched earth battle and agreement he led everyone to believe he would get.

All these broadcasters want is for Dish to delay the Auto-hop feature for they number of days in accordance with the agreements they have with media buyers. Some broadcasters are talking about C30 (30 days) in the near future!

This seems a good deal for Dish as they have "a path" with CBS owned content (all their "cable" channels, as well) for Dish's OTT product soon to launch, and it provides for other digital rights for CBS owned properties. Well, it was good for Les, as well.

We all know that if it was not good enough for Dish, Charlie would have said no and CBS O&O's would be dark on Dish today. Glad to see the most boisterous critic of Auto-hop so easily pleased. Considering how things ended up, was it really worth it for Moonves to have diminished CNET's journalistic credibility and gotten CNET kicked OUT of CES's awards partners and caused such consternation at both CNET and CBS News (under which CNET operates) and to be so mean to that Big Bang Theory actress with her saying a sarcastic and profane come back to him? No, it was not?

You said it not me.

The auto hop feature is pretty much worthless at this point as most people usually watch a new episode after the DVR has finished recording it, or at the very most a few days.

I doubt anyone will wait 7 days to be able to use auto hop, unless they just haven't caught up watching their recordings on their dvr yet

Appears I was off base. I didn't realize it only affected certain markets. I won't give up both my HWS but seems odd that one of the great features of the box gets disabled and all of sudden it's not a an important feature to some.

Reactions: KAB
You said it not me.

The auto hop feature is pretty much worthless at this point as most people usually watch a new episode after the DVR has finished recording it, or at the very most a few days.

I doubt anyone will wait 7 days to be able to use auto hop, unless they just haven't caught up watching their recordings on their dvr yet
O&Os, Claude. Get that in your brain.

No I believe the 7 day no auto hop is for all CBS network programming. Not just CBS o&o channels.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Question you guys are AV experts , would their ever be a need for a TV with a resoulation higher then 8K ?

Someone posted an article awhile back proving why we do not need HD at all, seeing as our eyes cannot process the information. We fill in the blanks with our minds. And I would not say experts. More like hobbyists. Or masochists.

i just like HD you know everything should be in HD one of these days it will be i just wont comment what chad said i just have no opinion what he is talking about.i just hopedish will be adding lots more hd eventually i hope maybe next year to go in competition with directv who launched a new satellite today in the air to add new hd and 4k also

i just like HD you know everything should be in HD one of these days it will be i just wont comment what chad said i just have no opinion what he is talking about.i just hopedish will be adding lots more hd eventually i hope maybe next year to go in competition with directv who launched a new satellite today in the air to add new hd and 4k also
Until you learn how to punctuate, let alone structure a sentence, no one will ever be able to have an opinion on what you are talking about either, Allen.

Reactions: bobvick
Again, my post was in reference to a post in another thread about 4K. I'm sure somebody that has extra time, and not on their cellphone(conviently inconvenient), they may be able to locate the YouTube post and article on why 4k shouldn't matter. It was quite intriguing. Whether or not I agree or disagree did not matter. It was still interesting.

Reactions: navychop
Someone posted an article awhile back proving why we do not need HD at all, seeing as our eyes cannot process the information. We fill in the blanks with our minds. And I would not say experts. More like hobbyists. Or masochists.

The problem is that Dish isn't really sending us good HD video. Some of it is about the quality of SD video. And some of Dish's SD video is complete garbage. (Although it got better with MPEG4.)

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)