Dish adds twice as loud as the programing, annoying?

If you are using your DVR, which you should be, you just fast forward through the commercials and you not only do not hear them, you do not see them. If by chance(slim) you are watching live tv, use your MUTE button and then you do not hear anything four four peaceful minutes. Problem solved. I never watch commercials.

Now the networks put the commercials IN the shows, blocking the bottom 1/3rd of the screen. Or worse, live commercials, like in the golden days.... such as Snuggle in So You Think You Can Dance...

Now the networks put the commercials IN the shows, blocking the bottom 1/3rd of the screen. Or worse, live commercials, like in the golden days.... such as Snuggle in So You Think You Can Dance...

Doesn't that just annoy the heck out of you? TBS is one of the biggest offenders with their huge ads that take up at least a third of the screen. Sometimes I miss what just happened because I'm startled at Holly Hunter staring back at me for Saving Grace. Then I have to DVR back a little. Haha!

The people responsible were probably originally web designers who thought big banners on websites were cool.

Wow, they must be listening to our complaints. Actually I would easier believe it was just an accident.

Watching Discovery channel just now, they ran a couple of dish-inserted ads completely silent. The "get a $300 dell computer for as low as $29.95 monthly" and some law firm looking for people poisoned by Chinese food products.

Dolby Volume could show up in some TV sets by the end of this year or early next year.[/quote said:
Great we have to buy a new TV to fix the problem! Nobody who is serious about home entertainment uses the TV for audio, anyway. Most new TVs only even have speakers as an after thought. This loud commercial problem is so annoying that I am considering quiting Dish Network. When I have to scream at the TV 30 times a day somebody is not happy.

Great we have to buy a new TV to fix the problem! Nobody who is serious about home entertainment uses the TV for audio, anyway. Most new TVs only even have speakers as an after thought. This loud commercial problem is so annoying that I am considering quiting Dish Network. When I have to scream at the TV 30 times a day somebody is not happy.

it's not any better with D. having had both D&E i'd say D is worse with this crap! Besides that commercials are always louder than programming. Very annoying!

dish gets so many commercials they can paste in to various channels.. the ones they paste in dont take into account dolby and makes it far louder than what you're listening to.. it's the #1 most annoying thing about dish right now..

My proposal for new audio/video transmission standards:

1) The average audio volume should be consistent at all times, in order to avoid being "blasted" during programming changes.
2) All channels broadcast in any real-time live medium must use the same average volume levels so as to eliminate getting "blasted" when changing channels.
3) The average brightness/contrast/color levels should be consistent at all times, in order to avoid being blinded by your television when it's dark.
4) All channels broadcast in any real-time live medium must use the same average brightness/contrast levels so as to eliminate having to reset the brightness/contrast/color when changing channels.
5) In-Program station identification "bugs" must not obscure the video being broadcast more than 15%, and in all cases must be located in a corner of the screen. Animation of these "bugs" is prohibited unless the animation does not change the size of the "bug".
6) Inserting advertising of any kind into the station identification "bug" is prohibited.

I doubt a reasonable person could object to this - I just hope congress is listening.

1) The average audio volume should be consistent at all times, in order to avoid being "blasted" during programming changes.
2) All channels broadcast in any real-time live medium must use the same average volume levels so as to eliminate getting "blasted" when changing channels.
3) The average brightness/contrast/color levels should be consistent at all times, in order to avoid being blinded by your television when it's dark.
4) All channels broadcast in any real-time live medium must use the same average brightness/contrast levels so as to eliminate having to reset the brightness/contrast/color when changing channels.
5) In-Program station identification "bugs" must not obscure the video being broadcast more than 15%, and in all cases must be located in a corner of the screen. Animation of these "bugs" is prohibited unless the animation does not change the size of the "bug".
6) Inserting advertising of any kind into the station identification "bug" is prohibited.

I doubt a reasonable person could object to this - I just hope congress is listening.

I'd like to see more transparent "bugs" like HDNET. Poor plasma (I bought primarily for Blu Ray!)

The problem with requiring the same volume all the time is that not all content should be loud. The effect of such legislation will be that ALL content will be compressed to the upper volume range. The little boy in Sixth Sense saying that he sees dead people will be just as loud as the magic auger guy.

Same thing with the color/brightness/contrast, you will be taking away the artistic ability of the content makers. You can't include a dark scene from The Others, you have to keep everything bright to avoid fines.

Any regulations or requirements that all content/commercials be equal in volume and/or brightness will only result in content will lower audio and video dynamic ranges. I would rather deal with loud commercials, than lose the ability to watch movies and TV shows with appealing artistic license.

The problem with requiring the same volume all the time is that not all content should be loud. The effect of such legislation will be that ALL content will be compressed to the upper volume range. The little boy in Sixth Sense saying that he sees dead people will be just as loud as the magic auger guy.

Same thing with the color/brightness/contrast, you will be taking away the artistic ability of the content makers. You can't include a dark scene from The Others, you have to keep everything bright to avoid fines.

Any regulations or requirements that all content/commercials be equal in volume and/or brightness will only result in content will lower audio and video dynamic ranges. I would rather deal with loud commercials, than lose the ability to watch movies and TV shows with appealing artistic license.

To each his own then - I'd like the whispers just as loud as the screams (I like my whispers loud - you can tell it's a whisper), and the dark scenes should not be so dark they disappear and I have to squint or move closer to the tv (you can have bright dark scenes) - after all, I'm lazy and don't want to adjust anything on my end ever.:)

This loud commercial problem is so annoying that I am considering quiting Dish Network. When I have to scream at the TV 30 times a day somebody is not happy.

It has nothing to do with Dish Network. EVERY source of tv has LOUD commercials. Read more, scream less.

I find it annoying that E* inserts commercials at all while all other TV providers have gone 100% commercial free! :D

It also bothers me that E* adds black bars at the tops of my movies, downconverts HD programming to SD, doesn't put a now non-existant Voom back up, and doesn't add "HD" channels that do not show HD content!!!! :p

Having been on Dish for less than a week (coming from C-Band 4DTV) I was shocked at how loud the dish adds where. Everything has and did go through an Onkyo receiver and it blasts when the adds come on. Nothing like ruining a perfectly good NAP !!

What commercials? I have a DRV.

Seriously they have now started, in addition to the louder perceived audio, to have a doorbell sound or PC-like chime in the background to make you look at the screen. I guess they have to do something to make the gain (no pun intended!) worth the cost.

It appears to be related to a bad calibration between DD5.1 and DD2.0. DD 2.0 is twice as loud as the DD5.1 programming that I observe during the switch in mid commercial breaks. I recall Dolby had a fix for this but it involved the purchase of some equipment, including the LM100 level monitor.
I plan to ask about this issue at CES when I see some of their engineers.

The recent post about "it just sounds louder but isn't" is not the point. Compressed audio levels do indeed sound louder and it's not those peaks that people are complaining about, It's the perceived loudness of the sound. I guess when we complain, it is falling on deaf ears!