Dish Aiming advice?

Brongaar

Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Near Houston for geographical reference, getting questionable reception on 119W and some reception on 100W, it cuts out from 2 seconds to 4 minutes at a time, getting no more than 5-6 minutes of good signal.

Have the Dish 500, with the 322 recievers, double head on the dish.

Sounds like your dish is not aligned correctly.
Do you have any thing in the way the may being causing your poor performance (trees etc) What are the signal quality levels at the reciever.
What are your elevation, skew and azimuth settings.
Whats your zip code

Sounds like your dish is not aligned correctly.
Do you have any thing in the way the may being causing your poor performance (trees etc) What are the signal quality levels at the reciever.
What are your elevation, skew and azimuth settings.
Whats your zip code

77380, Az 208, Skew119, elevation 48.

what is the correct settings got this area?

Light foliage, (2 maple trunks one on property the other off property, and bordered by 3 tall pines all off property)

was getting signal strengths in the 70's and 80's when heavy clouds roll in signal goes to 0

Have you tried moving the Dish Location. I got those bearings from sadoun. What setting does the receiver give you when you enter your zip.
Is your LNB Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus. Are you using a 34 switch.
What type of receivers are in play.

ok the aiming infor Dish gives me is this Az 208 El 48 Sk 119, It is a Dish pro plus, using 2 322 recievers (4 tvs) and no have not tries to move the dish location because the installers did not cut enough slack to move the dish that far.

I have found the best way to align the dish for camping is to cover up the 110 lnb with foil or unhook the cable from 110 and align it to 119, then hook up and uncover the 110 and change to 110 on the receiver and then rotate the skew.

Near Houston for geographical reference, getting questionable reception on 119W and some reception on 100W, it cuts out from 2 seconds to 4 minutes at a time, getting no more than 5-6 minutes of good signal.

Pole secure? Sounds like wind blowing and moving your pole. :eureka

Are there diplexors being used or did they run cable from tv1 straight to tv 2
Check your fitting make sure they are tight do you get any signal if you scroll to transponder 11 on the 119.
Also try changing the TV Input it is under the same screen as the check switch button. Feel free to give me a call 330-998-0765

I have the exact same setup as you, in my case it was a bad lnb
but before the thing went out I was in low 100's ss on 119

If you have experiance and feel comfortable working from a ladder
and have good sound basic handyman skills your best bet is to fix it
yourself

First off 80ss on 119 is on the low side even if it was working
that would not take much rain to lose a signal.

First thing I would do is click menu then enter 611
that will take you to the point dish screen

Right down what signal your hitting on 119
then move over to the satelite menu and change 119 to 110
and right down that signal, change it back to 119 and slide back
over and click on the check switch button
(you want to see 4 green box ok's)

If one of those sats show nothing no signal at all
its probaly the switch, thats built into the lnb

I would check ends of all cables inside first and then the connections for loosness on the lnb, also look for deep stapling along the runs were they split off to different recievers.

to just adjust things take your cell phone up the ladder and have someone tell you what the strength is as you adjust this, start off with just the elevation setting a little at a time everything is just alittle at a time and give it a minute to
settle in the signal this should take about 5 min to do

But you have to be very careful depending on your house it could be very dangerous

I agree with the other pros on here. HAVE A DISH PROFESSIONAL COME OUT TO CHECK YOUR SYSTEM. There is no need to risk life and limb to tweak your dish. Depending on your service agreement, it is worth the money, time and health risks to have A PROFESSIONAL CHECK YOUR SYSTEM.

No need to be a hero here, most of the techs are more than qualified to fix whatever is "broke" or out of alignment....

Fixing your own Dish is not being a Hero,
if yoy have any handyman common sense

Theres no certification on thse guys, no gaurantee on experiance
or anything like that there subs, Only type of people that will touch
my house would be a local retailer who has insurance and I
feel comfortable with, and know in advance. and only as a last resort

This type of work has the potential to damgae your house,
and cause a lot more then a lost signal on a dish

Now if your not handy or do not like heights, thats another story
I would call nothing but satelite installers out of the local phone book

but remmember who ever performs the work "Under no curcumstances
Do not sign a blank repair bill or any other paperworkand make sure you get a carbon copy containing exactly what work was performed for your records with the
address and phone# of the company on it. my original installation
paperwork was not a copy had no installer signature and had a address
I could barely make out, he even took the smart cards I didn't even know I had a right to, Because I own the stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)