Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Airs Live 4K College Football from FOX Sports
Release Date:
Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:01 am MDT
Terms:
Dateline City:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.
  • Live college football coverage to air on Hopper 3’s dedicated 4K channel every weekend this season, beginning September 23
  • Future broadcasts of 4K sporting events to include college basketball, Major League Baseball and NASCAR
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH today announced that it will deliver select college football games from FOX Sports’ FS1 in 4K, beginning with the Oklahoma-Baylor matchup on Saturday, September 23 at 6:30 p.m. ET. Games will be simulcast in the pixel-packed format every weekend on DISH channel 540 throughout football season for Hopper 3 customers.

“DISH has offered 4K-ready set-top boxes for three years, and 4K TV market share is anticipated to exceed one-in-four U.S. households by the end of 2017,” said Vivek Khemka, DISH executive vice president and chief technology officer. “The missing element? 4K programming. That’s why it’s great to see forward-looking companies like FOX invest in 4K production, so together we can deliver live entertainment in crystal-clear resolution.”

This move is part of a broader agreement that includes future 4K coverage of college basketball games, Major League Baseball and NASCAR racing.

DISH offers a slate of 4K programming from NBCUniversal, Netflix, The Orchard and Mance Media. The company has also delivered special 4K broadcasts throughout the past year, including a live PPV broadcast of Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva mixed martial arts fight, Planet Earth II, and NBC’s coverage of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad from Rio de Janeiro.

I’m sure the Blackout rules will apply, right?

I saw that my EPG bug was back, and sure enough, Channel 540 was in the Guide.

Interesting, and exciting. My first chance of getting to something in 4k.
And it's OU too!
To bad we'll be out that day.

So why can I see 540 on my app, but not on my dish guide? (Now I was looking from a Joey not the h3)

last SAT. they had a game on 540 I watched it
Came here to say the same thing. I wonder if last Saturday was just a test run before the press release was sent out. Also, it was weird because it was a mix of a raw feed style where they would have just a wide shot of the stadium where there was supposed to be ads but also sometimes they had ads if I remember correctly.

Because, unless you have a 4K Joey, 540 won't appear on non 4K receivers.
Thanks, kinda figured. And once I went to the h3 I could see it.

Now as far as recording, any reason I can't record both the 4k and HD versions for comparison?

Thanks, kinda figured. And once I went to the h3 I could see it.

Now as far as recording, any reason I can't record both the 4k and HD versions for comparison?

You can record both. The difference is very noticeable. The 4k version has 9 times the pixels compared to what is shown on Fox Sports 1.

Reactions: bryanw20
Just went to 540 and got just right half of screen and the left half is black. I tried other channels and they have the same right half only . I rebooted and tried again and it is now working. Always something goes wrong when Dish tries new things. They stay at the game during commercials so far.

Just went to 540 and got just right half of screen and the left half is black. I tried other channels and they have the same right half only . I rebooted and tried again and it is now working. Always something goes wrong when Dish tries new things. They stay at the game during commercials so far.

Is this the first live 4K feed with Dish? I Remember they did have audio issues with Planet Earth and first episode. I've had no issue with this Fox feed even works with Denon AVR and into Sony 930D TV. Amazing image you can see individual threads in the turf.

Switched over and watched for a few minutes. PQ looks very good...no issues here. Interesting that they allow the broadcast to be commercial free!

Weird stuttering right at the beginning, and a few open mike moments before the regular feed started to go. But WOW, great PQ. Love the no commercials!
If only it were a good game with teams I care about.