DISH + Amazon = Best possible outcome

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Starting this thread because it could be big in the telecommunications world and the other thread was including Tmobile and more about a merger. While a merger may yet happen this is more of what I originally posted in another thread. I think this could be big in the telecommunications world.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3268091-dish-plus-2_8-percent-said-wireless-network-talks-amazon

This has been the first time I believe that it is more than speculation as it has been for years now with DISH merging or doing business with everyone else. Amazon to me is the perfect partner or eventual merger partner.

I agree with the author of the story. This would be awesome for both companies if this happened.

Imagine the possibilities.

Alexa tune to USA Network
Alexa play a song from ELO
Alexa order me more toothpaste

All through your TV.

And the wireless possibilities...
Amazon means it when they say something proven time and again. A couple of misses/failures along the way (Fire Phone) but far more home runs. They are already deep into communications including the new Alexa calling service as Scott and I know! Lol

And the wireless possibilities...
Amazon means it when they say something proven time and again. A couple of misses/failures along the way (Fire Phone) but far more home runs. They are already deep into communications including the new Alexa calling service as Scott and I know! Lol
I haven't figured out how to call my other Alexa Echo or Dot units... (say I wanted to call my wife on the Echo dot in the kitchen from my echo dot here at my office.)

I haven't figured out how to call my other Alexa Echo or Dot units... (say I wanted to call my wife on the Echo dot in the kitchen from my echo dot here at my office.)

An actual intercom function is reported to be coming. But you just ask your Echo or Dot to call yourself or whatever the name of the account holder is. (What ever you are listed as - Call Scott or if you use a nickname that will work too) All devices will "ring"/change color and when someone answers you can talk to each other..

Reactions: TheKrell
Hello alexa!!can I request the grass growing channel in HD?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

"Ok Juan, you want to grow grass. I will order the kit with two day free shipping..... I will need your medical card number."

While this rumor may be true or not, and while Amazon would at first be a "customer," it still makes sense for some kind of investment in Dish by Amazon because Amazon messed up its first attempt at mobile phones (by making it exclusive to AT&T), and now it could have a chance to sell new versions of those very robust, great specs phones for the Amazon LOW price and also be a part of a wireless service biz, which is the place to be for today and tomorrow.

Egen is getting old, and Bezos is younger. Deals with older top dog retiring by a specific date with younger top dog getting full control have been done before. They would only have to tolerate each other for a relatively brief period, and Ergen still has Echostar to play top dog for a few years before he retires from business altogether.

It really would be the BEST possible partnership that makes complete sense for both. Otherwise, we should prepare for Verizon buying Dish because Verizon has not a REAL TV option and their stupid attempts on Social are just a river of money bleeding out the bullet hole. IMHO, it's gonna be Verizon or Amazon. Perhaps BOTH with Verizon having majority control? Kinda doubt that.

Ergen may have realized that he is running out of time to get the most money out of his company and time to do something before its too late. He can keep Echostar and have future businesses from it such as LEO satellites to bring other services. He could have gotten in on the ground floor with his spectrum with that.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
While this rumor may be true or not, and while Amazon would at first be a "customer," it still makes sense for some kind of investment in Dish by Amazon because Amazon messed up its first attempt at mobile phones (by making it exclusive to AT&T), and now it could have a chance to sell new versions of those very robust, great specs phones for the Amazon LOW price and also be a part of a wireless service biz, which is the place to be for today and tomorrow.

Egen is getting old, and Bezos is younger. Deals with older top dog retiring by a specific date with younger top dog getting full control have been done before. They would only have to tolerate each other for a relatively brief period, and Ergen still has Echostar to play top dog for a few years before he retires from business altogether.

It really would be the BEST possible partnership that makes complete sense for both. Otherwise, we should prepare for Verizon buying Dish because Verizon has not a REAL TV option and their stupid attempts on Social are just a river of money bleeding out the bullet hole. IMHO, it's gonna be Verizon or Amazon. Perhaps BOTH with Verizon having majority control? Kinda doubt that.

Some of us sniffed this out with the help of Scott many days ago and came to the conclusion if something was going to happen the best case would be Amazon with DISH not knowing who or if anyone would be coming forward. We will have to see if it comes to fruition but if it does I am doubtful Amazon would stay just a business partner, a good thing.
I just don't see Verizon particularly at the moment interested in buying a Satellite company even with the wireless frequencies they have. Verizon has had a few bad months culminating in losing Cell customers I think for the first time. That while still struggling with not really wanting to be in the Cable TV business anymore nor the wireline phone business.
It would appear they are moving into another direction? I think Verizon made the mistake of not knowing what it wanted to do while At&t knew exactly the course to take. This may be the direction they are now going to;
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/05/15/why-the-iot-matters-so-much-to-verizon.aspx
And do they need the wireless frequencies DISH has? I am not schooled enough on this to know but I am not sure they do and not when a Satellite company is attached. After all from the indications (From At&t themselves) At&t isn't going to keep Directv up and running for a long period of time or at the least won't be their focus.
For Amazon on the other hand a totally and complete different story and it seems like almost the perfect fit.

Charlie is only 64. He has a good ten years and maybe 20, before he needs to retire. Robert Byrd ,(D,WV) is 90 years old and still serving in Congress. The average age of the Senate is 60.4 yrs old. Charlie is a youngin.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts