DISH and 4K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I purchased a 4k tv a few weeks ago for $299. The 4k content I have found online has looked amazing on it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The only problem I have with your scenario is that the last great move to hd tv was the digital transition in 2010. The government put money and coupons out to help everyone become aware of the move to hd and digital broadcasts and put out $40.00 coupons out to pay for you to get a converter box if you needed it. I don't see this dysfunctional congress ever paying for another transition to 4k. There is simply no pressing reason for anyone buy a 4k tv. The prices are too great and there will be the same "the chicken and egg" thing we had before with broadcasters. They won't spend to put out programming that is in 4k without demand for it and the people won't buy 4k without there being any programming. This new push is another way for companies to make sales and I can assure you that if it ever takes hold and we do move to 4k , there will quickly be a move to 8k there after. Anything to make more sales. Besides there is little difference in pq to anyone between hd and 4k, unless you sit really close to the tv or you have a big enough screen to see the difference from normal sitting distance.

All excellent points particularly the need for a huge screen or sit closer than what most would consider normal viewing distance. The change to digital did indeed help usher in HD.

I think the smart thing for Dish to do would be to start by offering 4K VOD, similar to how they currently offer 1080p and 3D VOD. That doesn't require launching new satellites - perhaps just a receiver upgrade.

Here is an article that says 4K is just stupid for TVs less than 77 inches unless you are watching 3D. Then they are stupid for less than 55 inches. See http://www.cnet.com/news/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/ . Warning : it is very technical!!
I understand. I agree with him. The math is correct.

Yet when I finally SAW a UHD set, it definitely was a bit better.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I understand. I agree with him. The math is correct.

Yet when I finally SAW a UHD set, it definitely was a bit better.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Yep. Plus when UHD standards are use by source and tv it will look even better. He may need to write another article:)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Here is an article that says 4K is just stupid for TVs less than 77 inches unless you are watching 3D

That article was published in January 2012! :D

Stupid or not, but even that author a year later (in January 2013) admited that "4K TV is inevitable" ;)

The cheapest camera today has several times higher pixel resolution than HD. Laptops, computer monitors, tablets, even phones now have higher resolution than HD. TV sets are falling behind.

As for whether it's stupid or not, it all depends on your viewing angle. If you have a smaller TV set and you are sitting far away from it, even HD could be an overkill. But the recent trend is for people to buy bigger and bigger TV sets. A few years ago you wouldn't even find anything above 60". But check the stores today. 70", 80", even 90" screens are on display and the prices are dropping every year. Our rooms are not getting any bigger, hence the need for higher and higher pixel resolutions.

Last edited:
I don't agree. Like 3D I don't want DISH doing anything yet. They haven't even decided on standards yet, and DirectTV did have 3D, and as so many of us predicted it was a waste of time and resources. 4K in the end may not be a waste of time and resources, but not yet not just to be able to say we have three looping shows on one channel in 4k. When talking about the money and time involved, it may be better to be a little slower. If you tell me there are definite plans to have the networks broadcast in 4K (remember they don't even broadcast in 1080P) and that it is technically feasible for DISH to transmit all those networks in 4K, then sure lets get it.

The apple model, be the best not the first.

That article was published in January 2012! :D

Stupid or not, but even that author a year later (in January 2013) admited that "4K TV is inevitable" ;)

The cheapest camera today has several times higher pixel resolution than HD. Laptops, computer monitors, tablets, even phones now have higher resolution than HD. TV sets are falling behind.

As for whether it's stupid or not, it all depends on your viewing angle. If you have a smaller TV set and you are sitting far away from it, even HD could be an overkill. But the recent trend is for people to buy bigger and bigger TV sets. A few years ago you wouldn't even find anything above 60". But check the stores today. 70", 80", even 90" screens are on display and the prices are dropping every year. Our rooms are not getting any bigger, hence the need for higher and higher pixel resolutions.

I agree with the article that says you don't need a 4k tv in your home. Like I said earlier, there is no real reason to upgrade to 4k at this time. The price is too high, no content in 4k from broadcasters and the size alone needed to see any real difference at home, would dwarf most living rooms at 70 - 80 inches. So yes, they will most likely put out nothing but 4k tvs in the near future, but you aren't really missing anything by not having one today or even next year, or the year after. Till they come down in price and I mean to what we pay today for hd, I won't be buying one.

Italy has already run a transmission of 4K TV. I just very disappointed that there is no way to make a plasma 4k set. Hope OLED becomes realistic really soon. LED's and LCD's just don't have good blacks.

After a few years in the military, I would never own a plasma. Things get moved far to much for that stuff

I agree with the article that says you don't need a 4k tv in your home.

What people "need" and what people "buy" are two different things! People don't "need" premium cars but they buy them anyway. Most people don't "need" 1920x1080 resolution (Full 1080p HD) on their TV sets. Applying the same math and logic you can easily prove that most people would be just fine with 720p or even 480p. But is it really "stupid" to buy a 1080p HD set? I'd say these days it's stupid not to! I am pretty sure the same will happen with UHD and relatively soon. Those who want the latest and greatest (not everyone of course, but quite a few) will be buying UHD sets regardless of their viewing distance or viewing angle, just for the bragging rights, if nothing else. As long as they can afford them. And boy, those UHD sets will look amazing even with HD content!

Is it time to buy a UHD set today? I don't think so! I agree with you on that, but for a different reason. The prices are getting better (UHD sets already cost less than first HDTV sets just 10-12 years ago) and some content is already available, with much more coming in the next year or two. But my main concern is that the technology is so new, that today's sets may become obsolete in just a couple of years. Personally, I would wait a year or so (for HDMI 2.0 features to settle for example). But I'll tell you one thing: if I will be buying a new big-screen TV set in the next year or two, it will be a UHD set! That's for sure!

Reactions: whatchel1
In the next year or two? No way. Not until the standards are set and settled into for a while. Did you buy any HD-DVDs back in the day?

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)