DISH and 4K

In the next year or two? No way. Not until the standards are set and settled into for a while. Did you buy any HD-DVDs back in the day?
I did! And still watch them by the way! :D

But that was different: HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were two different standards supported by two different camps. And it wasn't clear at the time which one would win. With UHD - all manufacturers seem to be in agreement for now, at least regarding the TV sets, their video capabilities and HDMI connections. The distribution media has not been agreed upon, but that's a separate story.

As for the standards, what I am mostly concerned about, is the HDMI 2.0 features and HDCP 2.2 - but those are pretty much standardized already and hopefully by next year most UHD sets should have them all figured out.
Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the OTA broadcast standards, being a satellite guy. As long as "Hopper-4K" has an HDMI 2.0 port on it we shouldn't have any problems down the road. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, 4K will be adopted, mostly because the online streamers are adopting it and Google is pushing it for YouTube (Google even has its own codec called V9, successor to V8) and h.265 is here and now to do 4K efficiently for DBS or MSO's. 3D never got this far. Further, with 65+ inch screens coming way down in price, 4K keeps the image looking quite good, and contrary to what some are saying, one can see a difference (although not enough to throw out your perfectly working HDTV and buy an Ultra HDTV today) even at 55 inches. People want the biggest screen they can afford and TV makers are accommodating, and 4K will keep the PQ nice, even unconverted by the UltraTV looks noticeable better.

However, while online programmers and video content seems to be racing to 4K, we have not heard much from the big studios about CONTENT in the MVPD delivery business. I can't help but feel that MVPD's can't allow Netflix or YouTube to be the only provider of 4K content. While DirecTV has made a commitment publicly (they made such an announcement MONTHS ago), Dish, at first said "no" which I NEVER believed, but has since thought it a possibility. IMHO, Dish is looking at, and may even have plans, to launch 4K, when it feels it is ready (or has to, to be competitive), but is not willing to make a public commitment as DirecTV has done. In fact, Dish may offer 4K via its upcoming OTT service, and that makes more sense as the cost for that is mostly on the consumer provided he has the latest Roku or other device and the downstream bandwidth to support it, but cheap for Dish OTT to do. 4K via satellite on Dish would be more expensive, and it sure looks like Dish has boarded the OTT train--while DirecTV is investing in even more satellites? We'll see if the new AT&T owners don't change that huge investment in sats to support 4K once they get their hands on it, the deal goes through, and are the real owners. Me thinks Charlie is still the "genie" who can predict the future better than ANY exec in all the TV entertainment business.

What is really sad is that 8K exists (YES, another standard to upgrade in the future :)), and CE makers are trying to make things so that a move to 8K would not require massive change-outs of hardware. Yes, 4K is here to stay, but it will take at least another few years for the prices to drop and for enough programming in real 4K to create a tipping point.

I am looking forward to 4K coming as well. I have seen it in person as well and it looks promising. With that said, Dish needs to worry about getting more HD out there first.They are getting behind in my opinion in the HD race.
15 -20 channels come to mind easily..

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I am not a sports guy, so 24/7 RSN's does not bug me... although I could see how it would bug others. :)

4K would be GREAT for movies... Netflix has a big 4K library already. (Its just too bad my TV does not support the encryption Netflix uses)

I do wish they would add TV Land in HD... Got to agree with you there. As far as the Encore channels go unless something has changed DISH offers all of the Starz Encore channels that are offered in HD by Starz. (I was told this by someone at Starz)

I hate to say it but James Long did a good layout of channels and what is available in HD. http://jameslong.name/dishhd.html

Reactions: TheKrell
As far as the Encore channels go unless something has changed DISH offers all of the Starz Encore channels that are offered in HD by Starz. (I was told this by someone at Starz)
You do realize that even D* has been carrying other Starz & Encores in HD that E* is missing, for quite awhile now... :confused:

Actually Brighthouse cable is carrying EVERY single Starz & Encore HD feed that's available now...& the ONLY channels that do NOT have an HD feed, are Encore Family, Westerns, & Encore En Espanol.

This HD chart is probably one of the most comprehensive out there:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...s-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-6-14-14-a.html

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I am not a sports guy, so 24/7 RSN's does not bug me... although I could see how it would bug others. :)

It's not about sprots. It about asking a company that doesn't have the bandwith to provide HD feeds 100% of the time for HD channels to provide 4K video. If DirecTV is launching 2 new satellites to do this, then Dish would have to launch 4 or 5.

It's not about sprots. It about asking a company that doesn't have the bandwith to provide HD feeds 100% of the time for HD channels to provide 4K video. If DirecTV is launching 2 new satellites to do this, then Dish would have to launch 4 or 5.
4k will be internet streams

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The inital VOD will be internet streams. However they have working transmission over satellite of 4K signals. I forgot what I was told at CES, but they are planning on doing transponder bonding so they can fit up to (if I remember correctly) 5 4K channels up using just two transponders.

The inital VOD will be internet streams. However they have working transmission over satellite of 4K signals. I forgot what I was told at CES, but they are planning on doing transponder bonding so they can fit up to (if I remember correctly) 5 4K channels up using just two transponders.

Is that with the sats they have now or will take place after the next sat launch?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)