Dish and broadband

I would guess that you also get monitored. Not saying that's a bad thing. The internet allows two way communication.

Yes, thats not always a good thing... I was hoping to find some good with this. Like being able to find some programming that I missed because of nights when more than 2 of my programs are on at the same time. I'm looking at Directv's 5 tuner receiver. Is the Hopper coming soon? I wonder which one will be better?

Hey, just curious here. Does anyone here know if I can use a second Netgear router to add 4 more switches to my set up? I joined the Netgear forum and I cant get an answer from them.

Hopper is in the wild on March 15.

Each has their strengths. You have to pick which is right for you. Neither choice would be a disaster.

If you mean an Internet switch, using a router in place of a hub/switch, sure. Just turn off DHCP on the second router.

How do I do that to the router I want to use as a switch? Will it effect the speed with it. I was going to use the second router for my Vonage and Magicjack phones. If it will be a problem using the router, I have no problem just buying an 8 port switch.

Well, I guess buying the switch is easier, but you already have the second router. Just type the second router IP address in your browser address bar and you'll see a menu. Hope you remember the PW or try using "admin.". You should find a setting to turn off DHCP. Easy.

A switch, or a router acting as a switch, will be faster than a hub. I doubt you can even buy a hub anymore, but I have a few lying around. Oughta burn them.

How should I do this? How should I connect the second router to set it up? I just want to do this in the easiest manner and don't want to waste time and possibly screw something up hooking everything together. Thanks for all the help

When you say you want four more "switches" do you mean inputs for connecting to the router? If so you don't need another router, they make a four input (or more) bridge that itself plugs into the router. Anything plugged into the bridge is seen by the router.

When you say you want four more "switches" do you mean inputs for connecting to the router? If so you don't need another router, they make a four input (or more) bridge that itself plugs into the router. Anything plugged into the bridge is seen by the router.

I need at least 2 more inputs. My router has 4. I need to connect 6 devices. Dish receiver, 2 computers, xbox, Magicjack and Vonage.

With the internet connection, your receiver can call home. This can be a good thing. Several people have reported that they have gotten a call from Dish out of the blue. Turns out when the receiver phoned home it reported a problem. Usually LNB drift. Dish reacted to fix the problem before loss of signal.

Just connect an inexpensive 4 port switch into any one of the ports on your router, you lose one and gain 4 for a net of 3 extra ports.

But he already owns a spare router, if I understood correctly. Turn off DHCP and you've got a switch.

What do I do to turn off DHCP? How?

Depends on the router's make, model, and firmware load. Google your router, and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, post the make/model/firmware version here and one of
us network geeks will try to help.

Depends on the router's make, model, and firmware load. Google your router, and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, post the make/model/firmware version here and one of
us network geeks will try to help.

I was wanting to know how to hook the router up to set it up. I know how to access my current router, i just don't know how to hook the second router up and how to get into it to make the changes. Thanks

Again, you just want to turn OFF the WAN port on the 2nd router and also the DHCP server in it, and hook stuff into the switch port(s).

What make/model are the routers involved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)