Dish and ESPN

Why should subscribers pay more through the nose because the stations paid a stupidly high dollar amount for 1 show??? Disney channel is the only one of the channels you speak of that is commercial free. You think they're only going to raise the cost to Dish Network, Direct, and the rest, and not their advertisers??? I call 'shenanigans' I'm from the old school and remember the only channels you paid for (C-Band) were the premiums like HBO (at one time even they were free). I have no heartburn paying good $ for channels w/o commercials, how else do they make $? But why do advertiser supported channels (TBS, USA, ABC Fam, ESPN) get to charge us?

Not to be confused w/ paying Dish. Dish has to pay for each channel because they would charge you and I for the 1st gen signal. So Dish is having to pay for millions of "you and I's" (plus their "mark up" for infrastructure/maintenance). They, and us, shouldn't have to pay for the $Billion (w/ a "B") for one game a week. Let the advertisers pay like they do for the Super Bowl. Any of the big 4 that get Super Bowl broadcast rights don't force local affiliates to send you a bill for that FREE signal coming over the air to your attic, tower, or TV top, they charge $$ to the advertisers and say "Hey, you'll be seen during the Super Bowl"

I say the he11 w/ them. I don't even watch Disney or ABC Fam since they pulled this whole stunt of extra $$ for HD vs SD. Let them shut off they SD signal & broadcast HD only & let the service providers do a down convert for their SD customers. All networks put the water mark & graphics in the middle of the HD screen now anyways so that if you are on an SD television, it's not cropped off... If I had my way, there'd be a lot of things done differently in the broadcast world

[/rant]

Errr, Disney Chan has had commercials for many years, since before they even had an HD channel.

ESPN will do the same they always have with their advertisers I'm sure, fill up all the spots for the most $ they can. Just like every other channel, and just like they'll jack up sub fees as high as they can. Actually, judging by the quality of ads during MNF I'd say they get far far more money from subscription fees than ads.

Why do they get to charge us? Because they figured out we (the majority of Americans) are willing to pay for TV, even if there are commercials.

I actually think a lot of distributors only put out one feed now, Dish is just taking one of them and converting it to SD in MPEG2.

Maybe you misunderstood my previous post, actually it came across wrong. I think the amount we play for COMMERCIAL television in this country has gotten massively out of hand. Its approaching $100 if you want HD and a single DVR on most providers. And the banner ads and huge watermarks are irritating that's for sure, that's a separate issue though really. I'm just saying how things are, not that's its fair or right. If it wasn't for live sports I'd have dropped pay TV years ago, actually I did for a couple of years, but I got tired of no Monday Night Football, and only seeing a handful of college football and basketball games a week.

You obviously have not watched Disney Channel lately.

To be technical Disney doesn't run any commercials. They are properly called promos for their tv shows, movies and parks. Afterall though you may call them commercials they don't get paid for them for it's just self promotion. It's not much different tTCM shows you the books that are available for sale on the movie industry and what new movies are available on DVD.

To be technical Disney doesn't run any commercials. They are properly called promos for their tv shows, movies and parks. Afterall though you may call them commercials they don't get paid for them for it's just self promotion. It's not much different tTCM shows you the books that are available for sale on the movie industry and what new movies are available on DVD.

You may be right. However, They have plenty of promos, and if you watch all the channels in the Disney suite you will see commercials for Littlest Pet Shop, Lego, Happy Nappers, Pillow Pets, Zhu Zhu pets, Star Wars on Blu Ray, Tootsie Roll, Thor on DVD, State Farm, Tiger.com, Neutrogena, and a whole bunch of other junk over on Disney's sister station Disney XD.

Last edited:
Errr, Disney Chan has had commercials for many years, since before they even had an HD channel.

ESPN will do the same they always have with their advertisers I'm sure, fill up all the spots for the most $ they can. Just like every other channel, and just like they'll jack up sub fees as high as they can. Actually, judging by the quality of ads during MNF I'd say they get far far more money from subscription fees than ads.

Why do they get to charge us? Because they figured out we (the majority of Americans) are willing to pay for TV, even if there are commercials.

I actually think a lot of distributors only put out one feed now, Dish is just taking one of them and converting it to SD in MPEG2.

Maybe you misunderstood my previous post, actually it came across wrong. I think the amount we play for COMMERCIAL television in this country has gotten massively out of hand. Its approaching $100 if you want HD and a single DVR on most providers. And the banner ads and huge watermarks are irritating that's for sure, that's a separate issue though really. I'm just saying how things are, not that's its fair or right. If it wasn't for live sports I'd have dropped pay TV years ago, actually I did for a couple of years, but I got tired of no Monday Night Football, and only seeing a handful of college football and basketball games a week.

I agree on this, used to have promos, now animated banners at the bottom that take up 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen... Not sure how many people watch Big Brother on CBS, but on occasion, you can't hear the conversations (like Survivor & the others) and they'll put the print down at the bottom like a caption. Once this season on BB, big 'ol splash & I mean splash, for Hawaii 5-0 covered up what they were saying :(

now only if that can get the problem situation fixed with Disney so we get all those HD Channels.The more HD Channels the better it is.

bluegras said:
now only if that can get the problem situation fixed with Disney so we get all those HD Channels.The more HD Channels the better it is.

Not if it means paying double for the channel.

Quote from my email

Made it into Morning Bridge today. One gentleman proclaimed that we'd been had: The story is "a plant by Disney to get subs stirred up," wrote he. They didn't use my name but that was my exact wording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts