Dish and ESPN

I was just speaking with a Dish Network supervisor and he had no clue about this article until I told him about it.
That means nothing other than this supervisor doesn't read the news ! A supervisor certainly wouldn't be involved in any aspect of this nor would Dish send out a 'memo' to employees explaining this.

I tend to not worry. All I'll say is I only really watch ESPN from Sept to Jan, and if it is ever pulled in that time, Ill be a Directv sub again, period.

Just because Dish won't confirm it, doesn't mean it's not true. It's probably in their interests not to let this out of the bag early, lest they start losing subscribers and potential subscribers, or make people hesitant to sign/renew contracts. If they then come to a last minute deal on ESPN, they'll from their perspective have unnecessarily bled customers, and if they don't come to such a deal, they'll have lost the temporary revenue from people who left in advance or people who would have signed a contract and decided not to because the word was out.

I tend to not worry. All I'll say is I only really watch ESPN from Sept to Jan, and if it is ever pulled in that time, Ill be a Directv sub again, period.

I'm with you here. I'm not going to do anything or panic about a rumor like this. There is no worrying involved. They either keep the channels I watch and I remain a customer or they take channels like ESPN away and I'm gone that day. If it happens soon I wouldn't mind free Sunday Ticket for a season anyways but I would guess that nothing will come of this.

If they are negotiating a new contract it might actually benefit us sports fans on Dish. Maybe ESPNU HD and ESPNews HD will come back with the new contract.

I'm with you here. I'm not going to do anything or panic about a rumor like this. There is no worrying involved. They either keep the channels I watch and I remain a customer or they take channels like ESPN away and I'm gone that day.

That's a reasonable attitude to take for those who are not under contract or can afford to eat an early termination fee. For people under contract who can't afford an early termination fee, though, it's sort of a nightmare scenario.

That's a reasonable attitude to take for those who are not under contract or can afford to eat an early termination fee. For people under contract who can't afford an early termination fee, though, it's sort of a nightmare scenario.

I agree. In these scenarios I usually blame the provider for being too cheap, but in this situation I call BS on ESPN.

That means nothing other than this supervisor doesn't read the news ! A supervisor certainly wouldn't be involved in any aspect of this nor would Dish send out a 'memo' to employees explaining this.

The way it looks like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing and vice versa.

i wondered when a major provider would draw aline in the sand to ESPN, i'm a directv subscriber. ESPN started when cable and sat picked them up in the eighties as a fledgling upstart. Before they got big and charged a per user fee to providers even though many users never viewed their family of channels. The only way to get espn's attention is to have Dish, Directv, Comcast, Charter, Cox, et al to band together on this.

Oh yeah I totally understand that. I am one of the people who refuses to switch providers over the full time HD RSN problem because I am under contract. If I wasn't I probably would have switched already. HD is not as big of a deal to me as not having the channel completely though. Probably the only thing that would make me pay the ETF to leave is Dish removing ESPN or my RSN without offering a sports pack to keep them.

BTW as I am digging around for info on this I am hearing (unofficially of course) that ESPN is not even up for renewal this year on DISH Network... this appears to be just bad reporting from the Post.

Not according to the people I have been talking to trying to pry info from... what I am hearing is they still have a multi year deal in place for ESPN.

BTW as I am digging around for info on this I am hearing (unofficially of course) that ESPN is not even up for renewal this year on DISH Network... this appears to be just bad reporting from the Post.

You just ruined a lot of people's day.;)

I just wish DISH would come out and make a public statement, but I know they wont as its their policy not to comment on contract negogations.

That will never be mentioned publicly by a network. On the other hand, they will "spin" it to suggest they won't lose any viewers as they will all switch to another provider and the net loss will be ZERO.
The truth is that viewer loss would be small .People that watch a lot will just switch providers
there is no compelling reason for them to stay, the price and equipment of the other major providers is a wash so most viewers of any service will go where they can watch the programing .

Not according to the people I have been talking to trying to pry info from... what I am hearing is they still have a multi year deal in place for ESPN.

So on a side note to this - it doesn't look like there will be negotiating for ESPNU in HD anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts