Dish and LNB for Shaw DSR 207 receiver

Glider

Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
upstate New York
I have an old Star Choice DSR 207 receiver. What would be the right generic dish size and LNB to use with this receiver? It's for a cottage in upstate New York. Where would I beable to purchase this hardware? Thanks

Technically, at that location any ~24 inch size dish with a Ku linear LNB will work.

These days you can pick up used ShawDirect dishes for next to nothing. If you don't already have a spare dish check Craigslist, Kijiji, etc. for a used 60e dish with quad LNB. Anywhere from free to $25-35.

There can be some other wrinkles though related to what actual programming you can receive. Do you currently have a ShawDirect subscription, or will you be starting a new one?

Thanks for fast reply. I have a Shaw Direct subscription. I just need the dish and LNB.
About seven years ago I had Dish Network at the cottage in upstate NY with a 20 inch dish and digital LNBF. I still have the equipment in my garage and was hoping to use them with the Shaw receiver. The reason I mention this is because I know of several Canadians in Mexico who have the old Shaw receivers but use non Shaw generic dishes and LNBs. I was hoping to do the same. You suggest a 24 inch dish with a quad LNB, do they have to be Shaw?
Thanks for your advice.

You can use different equipment, but the Dish Network equipment will not work.

In Mexico people will use larger dishes to get sufficient signal.

The easiest and best thing for you to do is get the identical dish to what you use at home.

With an identical dish, if the 207 is currently active on your account there is nothing else you have to do.

You can use a direct tv Slimline dish with either the quad or triple Shawdirect LNB. It is identical to the Shawdirect 75cm dish. All you have to do is take the screw off the bottom of the lnb and it will slide right into the arm of the Slimline. Make sure the LNB is the same as your home system.
You don't want them knowing you have another location.

LNB for Shaw receiver

Nice alternative I am going to check it out. If the Direct TV slimline dish is compatible with the Shaw Quad LNB can the LNB be a ku instead of the xku? I would like to go with the larger dish at 75cm because my house is surrounded by tall trees. Does this larger size dish impact my Shaw DSR 207 current receiver and would I need a different ku LNB. The Mad Hatter said; "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." When it come to satellites, I don't know where I'm going but I know not all satellites systems will not get me there with my current receiver.
Thanks for you help

If you have trees in the way it won't matter what size dish you have.

A 75 cm dish is not necessary at your location. If you have a 60cm dish with the old quad LNB at your subscription location, get a 60cm or 75cm with the appropriate quad LNB for that dish to use at your south location. If you have the new xKu triple LNB at your subscription location, buy a dish with an xKU LNB used off of Kijiji or new from a dealer who is still able to sell them. Do not call ShawDirect and ask them for another dish.

The approaches for using ShawDirect at two locations have changed recently with the launch of G1 and the addition of channels on G1, plus the migration of some services to Mpeg4. There are now many more variables for a given individual based on what dish they have now, what LNB is attached to it, what receiver(s) they are using, what packages they subscribe to, and whether they are already known to SD as a Home Away From Home customer.

In your specific case, do you have any 600 series (600, 605, 630) receivers on your account, regardless of whether you want to watch them in New York?

Technically, the 207 by itself can get by with any 24 inch dish with a Ku LNB. If that is the only receiver you have on your account, or you have no plans to get high definition channels on your account, pick up any dish and LNB you like.

There are other useful posts about the technical and business changes I have touched on in this post on this web site, but the best place is the ShawDirect forum on digitalhome.ca.

The short answer is still - save yourself a lot of short term and long term headaches and pick up exactly the same dish and LNB you already have.

Last edited:
The 75 cm dishes are easier to find down south and will work with either LNB. As the other fella mentioned, if you have trees all around you have to be able to go over top of them or between them if there is a path.
You can have a 60cm at home and a 75cm down south as long as they both have the same type of LNB whether KU or Xku.
But you will need a 75E for the slimline for best signal strength.
The 207 just needs to have the same V code or should I say the right code to match your system at home and you will get all the standard SD channels on it.

If Shaw finds out or knows you have to different setups, say the XKU at home and you call them to say you have a 207 at the cottage on a KU they will increase your bill for the 2nd location by 50% if you had it registered before they cancelled the HAFH and new customers will be charged 75% of their main bill for the 2nd location. So best to keep quiet about any other locations now unless you have money to burn.

Nice alternative I am going to check it out. If the Direct TV slimline dish is compatible with the Shaw Quad LNB can the LNB be a ku instead of the xku? I would like to go with the larger dish at 75cm because my house is surrounded by tall trees. Does this larger size dish impact my Shaw DSR 207 current receiver and would I need a different ku LNB. The Mad Hatter said; "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." When it come to satellites, I don't know where I'm going but I know not all satellites systems will not get me there with my current receiver.
Thanks for you help

You can use a direct tv Slimline dish with either the quad or triple Shawdirect LNB. It is identical to the Shawdirect 75cm dish. All you have to do is take the screw off the bottom of the lnb and it will slide right into the arm of the Slimline. Make sure the LNB is the same as your home system.
You don't want them knowing you have another location.
Hi , Can you tell me what model Number of Direct TV Dish will replace the Shaw Direct 75cm dish.
Thanks, Ken

I've never seen any slimline dishes. It seems that the 36x22 is their largest size. I would trust Showtime's comments. Where are you locating the dish? I would probably go bigger if in Mexico?

The dish you need will have Direct TV Slimline Painted right on the front of it. I'm not familiar with the international dish, it looks similar but the focal point might be different. You could try it and see unless someone else here already had and let us know?

Thanks for the reply, I am looking at a Direct TV model 36EDS it is 36x22 It is used for Direc TV International World Service. Do you think that would work for me?

Thanks, Ken

The dish you need will have Direct TV Slimline Painted right on the front of it. I'm not familiar with the international dish, it looks similar but the focal point might be different. You could try it and see unless someone else here already had and let us know?
The dish I am looking at is on e-bay and located in California, I am currently in Florida. The dish is not a Slimline however, it is a Direc TV dish. I have not been able to locate a Direc TV Slimline of similar dimesion to the SD 75e dish. I don't want to buy and ship a dish from CA and not have it work. Is their a Slimline dish that will replace my current 60e dish which is too small for HD reception in SW Florida.
Thanks for the help,
Ken

I would look closer to your area, since I would think Direct TV is in your area you should be able to find a dish relatively easily? I would check any recycle depots 1st then the buy & sell adds, and failing that you must have satellite dealers or even an RV dealer may have them. But I wouldn't suspect you need to ship one across country..

The dish I am looking at is on e-bay and located in California, I am currently in Florida. The dish is not a Slimline however, it is a Direc TV dish. I have not been able to locate a Direc TV Slimline of similar dimesion to the SD 75e dish. I don't want to buy and ship a dish from CA and not have it work. Is their a Slimline dish that will replace my current 60e dish which is too small for HD reception in SW Florida.
Thanks for the help,
Ken

I would look closer to your area, since I would think Direct TV is in your area you should be able to find a dish relatively easily? I would check any recycle depots 1st then the buy & sell adds, and failing that you must have satellite dealers or even an RV dealer may have them. But I wouldn't suspect you need to ship one across country..
Do you know if Direc TV has a 75cm (36 inch dish) ? Thats my problem I dont know if they do and if they do have a large dish what is the model number. I appreciate your responses. I am sure I can locate a dish once I know what exactly I am looking for.

Cheers, Ken

Ken: alternatively, you can use two separate generic circular dishes with generic Ku lnbs, one pointed to 107, the other to 111. You will need a 2x1 switch with that set up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)