Dish and NESN question

SoxFansWife

Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
jacksonville fl
I live in Jacksonville fl and have been told by NESN's customer support that we will receive none of the red sox games on DISH, yet DISH is telling us we will receive some of them.

Is anyone out of the NESN home territory (MA, CT, RI etc..) and is able to verify they receive red sox games on NESN/DISH? If so, about how many per year and which are normally blacked out?

I understand we will probably not get them when they play Tampa, but last night's game was blacked out and DISH will not show another in my area till 7/10/09. So not sure if we want to keep DISH if we would get many games.

Any help please?

I live in Jacksonville fl and have been told by NESN's customer support that we will receive none of the red sox games on DISH, yet DISH is telling us we will receive some of them.

Is anyone out of the NESN home territory (MA, CT, RI etc..) and is able to verify they receive red sox games on NESN/DISH? If so, about how many per year and which are normally blacked out?

I understand we will probably not get them when they play Tampa, but last night's game was blacked out and DISH will not show another in my area till 7/10/09. So not sure if we want to keep DISH if we would get many games.

Any help please?

Soxfanswife,

Any and all Third Party providers (Cable or satellite) can only provide regional content within the borders of that defined region.

NESN only owns the rights to provide live games to those within their regional DMA (Designated Market Area). Dish has a package that allows you to subscribe to every regional sports network, but all Major league sports are blacked out for any subscribers outside of each RSN's DMA.

The only way to get access to NESN regional Baseball coverage of the Boston Red Sox games would be to subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package. Currently DirecTV and a small handful of cable providers are able to sell the package.

The bottomline is, as a Dish subscriber you can NOT receive any Regional Red Sox Games at your Dish Network service address in Florida. The only Red Sox games you will receive from Dish Network will be games that are carried nationally by ESPN or your local OTA Network affiliates.

If you plan on cancellation Dish Network service be sure you are not within any contract. When Dish signs up customers or customers upgrade a receiver you are generally asked to agree to a 24 month term. If you are under a 24 month agreement you can opt out only if you pay a pro rated per month fee for any months you are still under contract for. Be sure you not obligated to any contract terms before you cancel or you could be in for a costly surprise should you terminate your Dish Service.

John

Thank you for that info, that is the same info I got from NESN but DISH kept telling me otherwise. After speaking with NESN, I called DISH and got them to agree that if on July 10th, I do not get the game and am still unhappy with DISH, I could cancel without fees.

Thank you again.

I thought of that approach also, but 2 problems, 1 - not a good liar and 2 - I do not get my local news stations.

I am contemplating Pansat.

OTA for locals and move for sox. that's what i do. Works fine. You can change your address online and not even talk to anyone.

The Sox are playing the A's right now on NESN. Why do they tell you no Sox games until the 10th?

It is not the inning that counts it is the 3 hr time limit.
If a game goes over the 3 hr time limit then there is no blackout and you can see it even if you are remote.
I know this is true because when I had E* sport package I could see some Red Wings games which went beyond 3 hr on Fox Sports Detroit.

Technically, Dish is violating MLB blackout rules by doing this. They are supposed to wait until the conclusion of the game.

Then again, Dish has always been know the stretch the rules. That is why they are always being sued and lost carriage rights for DNS.

It is not the inning that counts it is the 3 hr time limit.
If a game goes over the 3 hr time limit then there is no blackout and you can see it even if you are remote.
I know this is true because when I had E* sport package I could see some Red Wings games which went beyond 3 hr on Fox Sports Detroit.

I was refering to the fact that the OP said that there were no games shown until July 10th.(untrue, by the way) Nothing to do with blackout rules/innings/length of game etc.

regards, Eric