DISH and Sinclair extend contract talks (Update 8/25 Stations Removed)

In what case would they have pulled a nearby local from another DMA?
the only time they can import another station is if there is no affiliate in your area for that network.

This is only available in a short markets. As example alpena Michigan has no NBC in their market. the one that was imported was a Sinclair NBC. So now dish has given them the one from Detroit which is not owned by Sinclair

In cases where a local is not present. There is a city that has no NBC, so they can import a nearby NBC since that DMa doesn't have one.

The only markets where they were able to change networks were alpena Michigan zanesville Ohio and Parkersburg west Virginia

I think Ohio is the one I was referencing. I was actually using your previously posted info for that Iceberg. From a couple months ago.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1440542167.353561.jpg
I work for SBG stations and got this e-mail from my GM. This makes it seem as if DISH broke off negotiations. I hope this dispute doesn't last long, it's a little awkward for me as an employee and subscriber. Luckily I have OTA.

I like how the blame is placed immediately and they tell you to place the blame immediately without information. I can say that when I was at Dish, there was at least a description of what happened. Ask them if they will allow Dish to legally import another channel while they negotiate and see how quickly they say no and go to the FCC ruling.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I think Ohio is the one I was referencing. I was actually using your previously posted info for that Iceberg. From a couple months ago.
Yeah so right now zanesville gets
CBS Columbus
ABC Cleveland
NBC zanesville (their only local)
Fox Youngstown

previously all missing nets were from Columbus

My local ABC says Dish pulled the channel "during negotiations", as if Sinclair told them the channels can stay up during talks. I'm guessing Dish is playing hardball and did in fact pull them and is also why they're telling us to call. As iceberg said, they're giving the *local* station's phone number too.

Bang, ZOOM! KOMO-TV (ABC) is toast on dish (AGAIN! Remember "Fish v Dish" five years ago?), while co-owned KUNS-TV (UNI) is still up and running here in Western WA - for now. Who else is seeing the looped announcement from dish?

If it's a Sinclair-owned channel, it's off the air... It's not even a case of the stations not getting the memo yet or turning their signal off, Dish presumably flipped them off in one fell swoop.

If it's a Sinclair-owned channel, it's off the air... It's not even a case of the stations not getting the memo yet or turning their signal off, Dish presumably flipped them off in one fell swoop.

It's not on the list but the owner is Cunningham telecasting owned by Sinclair

Updated the homepage - this is a big dispute with over 150 stations in 79 markets. Many markets losing multiple affiliates.

Dish better make this one quick or they will likely experience some fallout.

Here's the message KOMO is sending out on facebook:

If you are a Dish Network subscriber KOMO is currently unavailable. Talks broke off today between Sinclair Broadcast Group the parent company of this station and Dish Network. Dish Network made the decision to remove KOMO from the channel lineup. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to return to Dish Network homes soon. The station is still available on DirecTV, your local cable provider and free over the air. You can always watch a live stream of our newscasts on KOMONews.com. Dish customers are the only viewers to lose access. To complain about the loss of your station, call Dish Network at (redacted)

Sinclair has a website, dishnetworkretrans.com, with the usual stuff on it.

As far as I'm concerned, find the negotiators, lock them all in a room, and let's get this settled tonight. With over 150 stations (potentially) and several million homes caught up in this mess there's no reason not to.

From DishPromise.com:

We are currently experiencing a dispute with Sinclair and your local stations are impacted by these negotiations. We have agreed to Sinclair's rates and all terms for carriage of Sinclair's local channels, but the broadcaster has chosen to black out customers to gain negotiating leverage for an unrelated cable network it does not own.

Despite our offer to extend contract negotiations without impacting our loyal customers, Sinclair has chosen to reject the extension and initiate the largest local channel blackout in the history of television.

There must be more to the story....

Reactions: navychop
I'm sorry but this brings to light a thing that really gets me mad.These Sinclair channels were all originally network OTA channels when they were founded. Do you know how much money they got in "retransmission rights" for sending their signal OTA? That's right - Zero!.

Along comes cable & satellite and all of a sudden their signal is worth money. So yeah, paying for the privilege to watch their commercially supported programming is not high on my list of likes. I hope they stay off, nothing to watch there that I can't find online for free or a lot less money.

I'm sorry but this brings to light a thing that really gets me mad.These Sinclair channels were all originally network OTA channels when they were founded. Do you know how much money they got in "retransmission rights" for sending their signal OTA? That's right - Zero!.

Along comes cable & satellite and all of a sudden their signal is worth money. So yeah, paying for the privilege to watch their commercially supported programming is not high on my list of likes. I hope they stay off, nothing to watch there that I can't find online for free or a lot less money.
And that is reasoning. Exactly. I don't blame Dish for what they are doing or DTv for what they are doing. If they want paid, then get rid of the OtA option and make them a pay channel. Bet their numbers plummet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)