DISH and Sinclair extend contract talks (Update 8/25 Stations Removed)

If Dish (any MVPD) is allowed to import a nearby DMA's affiliate during a local dispute, why would Dish even negotiate with a local?

And yes, these stations ARE still free to the majority of viewers. But, even if you receive the station OTA (for free), you still have to pay Dish.

If someone can't reliably and reasonably receive OTA, they shouldn't be charged. However, IF they CAN receive OTA, they SHOULD be charged. What qualifies as "reliably and reasonably" and who's responsible for "proving" OTA is reception is/is not possible would need to be determined. If a Dish/Direct subscriber elects to not receive local via satellite, they shouldn't be charged (and their guide should be populated by PSIP information).

The per subscriber charge for each station should be determined by ratings, not an arbitrary number picked out of thin air by some corporate big wig.

If Dish (any MVPD) is allowed to import a nearby DMA's affiliate during a local dispute, why would Dish even negotiate with a local?

And yes, these stations ARE still free to the majority of viewers. But, even if you receive the station OTA (for free), you still have to pay Dish.

If someone can't reliably and reasonably receive OTA, they shouldn't be charged. However, IF they CAN receive OTA, they SHOULD be charged. What qualifies as "reliably and reasonably" and who's responsible for "proving" OTA is reception is/is not possible would need to be determined. If a Dish/Direct subscriber elects to not receive local via satellite, they shouldn't be charged (and their guide should be populated by PSIP information).

The per subscriber charge for each station should be determined by ratings, not an arbitrary number picked out of thin air by some corporate big wig.

Tom Wheeler of the FCC is looking to change the law allowing imports while negations are going on

ABC gone in my area out of Mobile, AL. First bama football game is on ABC...........Time to "move".

Such B.S. not only did they pull the Peoria ABC, but they pulled the program guide for the OTA version of it, and the OTA version of the Decatur ABC which I also receive. I get the contract dispute, but do not think they should be able to pull the OTA guide info. Somehow, the local NBC, which is also in the same group of companies survived.

Reactions: DWS44
Fox 56 in Lexington gone, but who cares Fox has nothing but crap on anyway. Keep them off and put Antenna TV or ME-TV on, I had rather have those than Fox,

ABC gone in my area out of Mobile, AL. First bama football game is on ABC...........Time to "move".

Usually the Watch ESPN app on the Roku will have the ABC games on also, last year while at work ( no cable TV, just Broadband) I took the Roku in thinking that the Michigan game that week was on ESPN, it was on ABC, so while scanning the app to see what other games were on, there it was as one of those extra games it has on the app, then every time the game was on ABC I checked the ESPN app out and there it was also on.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Usually the Watch ESPN app on the Roku will have the ABC games on also, last year while at work ( no cable TV, just Broadband) I took the Roku in thinking that the Michigan game that week was on ESPN, it was on ABC, so while scanning the app to see what other games were on, there it was as one of those extra games it has on the app, then every time the game was on ABC I checked the ESPN app out and there it was also on.

Yeah, it is possible. I am not sure how they will handle this one. I found a neighboring market, so it wont take but a second to get it changed. If it comes back, then Ill probably just reverse it.

I voiced my concern about the program guide to both the DIRT Team and to another contact I have at Dish. Not about losing the channel (I get the dispute, and don't blame Dish), but about losing the OTA program guide. That is b.s.

My parents won't be waiting long to switch to Charter if this isn't fixed. They need a rooftop antenna to get this OTA and they aren't going to pay to have one installed.

Not only that but TiVo is currently running a sale for $50 Tivo Roamios and $250 lifetime service so it's a good time to switch. They like my TiVo setup on Charter and could save about $60 per month with a double play and get more channels since they have been out of contract and paying full price for Dish for the last 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: primestar31
Lost channel 6 CBS station in Beaumont ,Tx and no guide info for my ota station. Will have to set manual timers for any show now. Still have guide data for the CW the sub channel of channel 6.

and the OTA version of the Decatur ABC which I also receive.

Decatur does not have an ABC, they have NBC & CW.
Our ABC is in Springfield (20) & Champaign (15)

Somehow, the local NBC, which is also in the same group of companies survived.

(edit) If you're talking about your NBC, WEEK-25, it's actually owned by Granite, but operated through share services agreement w/Sinclair (like our situation with our FOX/CW stations)

WAND-17, NBC has NOTHING to do with Sinclair, it's owned by Block Communications

WBUI-23 CW & WRSP55/WCCU27-FOX, are all owned by GOCOM, but are operated through shared services agreement w/Sinclair.
I'm actually surprised they didn't get pulled as well, but oh well...I've got other backup sources for ABC, so no big loss for me.

Last edited:
This article states: "In a statement, Dish said it had come to terms with Sinclair on fees to carry its TV stations but the broadcaster was holding out to try to leverage distribution for a cable channel it does not yet own. Dish declined to provide details, but Sinclair has expressed interest in starting its own cable network focused on high school and college sports" http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sincl...rom-dish-network-20150825-00977#ixzz3jvLULWGe

So all of this because Sinclair wants to start s new channel focusing on high schools and college sports and Dish won't commit to that? Of course not, the channel does not exist, and hanging a speculative network over Dish and negotiations is sure to go nowhere. I think Sinclair is flat wrong here.

Reactions: soaphauler
To me, the simple answer to all these disputes is to make all stations available on a pure a la carte basis. That way, there would be little problem with negotiations since every single station would be aware of just how valuable their programming is. Of course, within a year about half of all stations would cease to exist or be available on satellite or cable.

But, we're not going to see this happen anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)