Dish and sports, come on!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have Dish and I'm perfectly fine with the amount of sports they have. More than enough for me but I don't watch much sports anyways. No matter how big the TV it just doesn't interest me unless I'm there at the game itself. About the only sports you'll see me watch is the LSU Football if they are doing half way decent through the season.

I have Dish and I'm perfectly fine with the amount of sports they have. More than enough for me but I don't watch much sports anyways. No matter how big the TV it just doesn't interest me unless I'm there at the game itself. About the only sports you'll see me watch is the LSU Football if they are doing half way decent through the season.

Good point. That's why there are different providers.

For example, I couldn't care less about the premium channels so the fact that Dish carries HBO/CINEMAX/SHO-XYZ-HD while D* does not means nothing to me.

*shrug* I was pretty happy with the NHL Center Ice coverage this season on Dish. There were only a few games that Direct had in HD that Dish did not, and the gap between Dish and Direct was even smaller after MSG cut EVERYONE (Cable, DirecTV) from getting the HD feed via Center Ice.

Hockey is the only sport I really follow, and for that Dish isn't a bad choice.

The NFL is a whore, plain and simple. No reason they should not make the NFL ticket available to everyone. I think every dish subscriber should let the NFL know that they are changing the channel during every commercial break.

I agree though, if it means upping the price on Dish customers DTV can keep it.

I'd like to know more about fulltime RSN HD. This has become an unexpected issue for me and I'm not happy about it.

I expected that some games would be shown in HD. I did not expect some of those games to be pre-empted by other games from other sports nets. This JIP crap don't cut it with me!

How many full time HD RSNs are there?
I live in Cincinnati and Fox Sports Ohio does NOT even show all the Reds games in HD.
I question how many regional RSNs actualy do much HD.

*shrug* I was pretty happy with the NHL Center Ice coverage this season on Dish. There were only a few games that Direct had in HD that Dish did not, and the gap between Dish and Direct was even smaller after MSG cut EVERYONE (Cable, DirecTV) from getting the HD feed via Center Ice.

Hockey is the only sport I really follow, and for that Dish isn't a bad choice.

From all the griping over on the other board about D*'s CI coverage I believe that E* is much better at CI coverage. I have had many posts where I stated that I got to see that game over on E* or E* had that game in HD.
D* has a habit of cutting a game off if it goes beyond the stated end time. Also E* carries many more duel and in many cases quad feeds of the same game so you can see the coverage which you really like.

How many full time HD RSNs are there?
I live in Cincinnati and Fox Sports Ohio does NOT even show all the Reds games in HD.
I question how many regional RSNs actualy do much HD.

The issue isn't necessarily full time HD RSN's. It's receiving all of the HD RSN games on Dish. I, for one, don't care if my HD RSN is full time or not, I just want all of the HD games to be HD on Dish (like they are with DirecTV and cable).

The issue isn't necessarily full time HD RSN's. It's receiving all of the HD RSN games on Dish. I, for one, don't care if my HD RSN is full time or not, I just want all of the HD games to be HD on Dish (like they are with DirecTV and cable).

Couldn't have said it better myself:up:up

I agree 100%. If Dish wants to compete, they need to do that sooner than later.

Right now the deal is we get some games in HD and I am ok with that, for now. What makes me mad is Dish only showing some of some games (JIP) in HD because of bandwidth constraints.

I agree 100%. If Dish wants to compete, they need to do that sooner than later.

Right now the deal is we get some games in HD and I am ok with that, for now. What makes me mad is Dish only showing some of some games (JIP) in HD because of bandwidth constraints.

Not to mention this problem is going to get exponentially worse as time goes on. RSN's are going to be adding more and more games in HD with each coming season.

Not to mention this problem is going to get exponentially worse as time goes on. RSN's are going to be adding more and more games in HD with each coming season.

Rememeber too, Dish is the one that opened this can of warms last year when they said on a tech chat or Charlie chat that they would start carrying RSN hd by the end of the year, last year!!!

That's why I'm really hoping they are reserving bandwidth for more RSN HD content. With major regional sports networks like Fox Sports committing to go full-time HD throughout 2009, subscribers like me are going to demand more games in HD.

Last year they had some excuses because a number of the games just weren't produced in HD. I know that for hockey only a few of the MN Wild games were produced in HD, LA Kings had something like 10 whole games in HD, and many other teams in the league were in the same boat.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't involve new contracts, just additional bandwidth. Hopefully that means that it's possible.

If your Tigers are on ESPNU, as of now it can only be seen in sd. SEC will be seen only on CBS and ALL ESPN cnannels.

I'd like to know more about fulltime RSN HD. This has become an unexpected issue for me and I'm not happy about it.

I expected that some games would be shown in HD. I did not expect some of those games to be pre-empted by other games from other sports nets. This JIP crap don't cut it with me!

Former subscriber. Dish lost me on two Sports related items:

YES Network and MSG HD.

Both are deal breakers. I would consider coming back if they landed both. However, it appears this will never happen.

What gets me is the problems they have with the sports they DO cover. For instance, on the alternate sports channels I am not allowed to watch the Braves. Atlanta is 200 miles away from me.

On the other hand, I can watch the Reds on the Alt channels. Cincinnati is 380 miles away from me.

What gets me is the problems they have with the sports they DO cover. For instance, on the alternate sports channels I am not allowed to watch the Braves. Atlanta is 200 miles away from me.

On the other hand, I can watch the Reds on the Alt channels. Cincinnati is 380 miles away from me.

yeah well that's MLB, not Dish

Talking about The Braves, I still can't find out if there is any chance of seeing the games on Peachtree. Are there negotiations? Dish carries the channel in Atlanta already, so I am at a loss why they can't or won't put forth the effort to show those games to the Braves DMA, just like Direct does. Seems simple, but I guess there are things that I don't know that must complicate it.

Warning: long post.

Having been a D* sub for a year and a half after being an E* sub for about 10, there are some comparisons that I think everyone here will bear out:

DISH used to be considerably less expensive than DIRECTV. No longer. I have been investigating going back to DISH because of the high bills from DIRECT and discovered that a comparable package, including number of channels, HD access and DVR for 3 TVs is about $15 higher on DIRECTV, after the promotional honeymoon ends. That wasn't enough for me to switch because DISH does not carry channels I and my family watch frequently, including GOL TV, MLB Network, FX HD and FSE (available on DIRECT's Sports pack; on DISH only by purchasing an additional-cost Spanish package). Would not be enough to offset the gain of WGN and Travel Channel in HD. Plus, DISH's well-known reputation for allowing channels, including locals, to disappear while trying to negotiate the best rates turned me off.

Technology: While I do need additional receivers for every TV with DIRECTV, this is acceptable when I consider that I am paying only one DVR fee for ALL TVs. With DISH, I was told I would still have to pay an additional $10 for the third TV, the same as I pay now. And I was not willing to have to have additional holes drilled in my floors and walls to accommodate the cables needed to connect receiver #1 to TV #2.

Installers: The weakest link for both companies. It has been my experience that the installers in this area generally lack professionalism and have little interest in maintaining a respectable image. Maybe that system works economically for both companies, but it means that there is a wide range of confidence based on however the local company decides to comport itself.

Corporate image: I am a marketing consultant, and I realize that money buys better. However, that is not always the case. DIRECTV always seems to project an image of a well-organized, upscale, professional company. DISH Network seems to have the image of a mom-and-pop operation, or a furniture or carpet store. Perception is reality. And DIRECTV wins the perception battle, hands down.

Customer service: During the last several weeks, when I have needed to adjust my DIRECTV bill and inquired with DISH Network about becoming a customer again, it was my definite impression that DIRECTV's CSRs were the more professional and knowledgeable. Asking about pricing on DISH Network, for example, I got three different answers to what several packages included. I also got three other answers from different retailers, leading me to believe that I was going to get unpleasant surprises when my promo period ended and I had to start paying real prices. I also recall issues when I was a DISH sub, such as scheduling service calls.

So even though I pay somewhat more for DIRECTV, I am getting more of a value for my money. I am not totally happy -- I was not informed about having to extend my contract when I upgraded to HD last September, for example. And there was an issue with not having to pay for an AM-21 off-air receiver when DIRECTV replaced a balky HD receiver that included local OTA channels with a receiver that didn't. (That issue was resolved after many discussions, including a call from DIRECTV, which very much surprised me.)

The bill is still high. But again not much higher than DISH's price for a comparable package and light years beyond anything I can get from MediocreCom cable.

I have no "emotional favorite" -- I will pay my money to the company I get the most value from. As anyone should do.

As far as the Giants game in HD being switched to the Reds/Cards game - that was another DISH Network error. It's happen before with Giants as well as Shark's games. This kind of error has occured at least 3 or 4 times before.

On a related subject, it looks like DISH and Comcast Sports California couldn't agree on terms to deliver the Oakland A's games to residents of the Bay Area. As of Sunday, May 10th, the games went Blacked Out. Shame on DISH! Only TV provider in the Bay Area that couldn't work out a contract. That shouldn't surprise anyone, however this is one fan that's not going to put up with this non sense much longer. It's my understanding, the San Jose Sharks will be moving to Comcast Sports California starting this fall. If this is true, and no contrcat is in place by the time my DISH contract comes up for renewal (Augsut 2009) - it's Adios DISH. And I know of many other DISH customers that will bail as well over this latest of DISH contract disputes. :mad:

For more information:
http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_12348262
Comcast SportsNet California

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts