DISH Announces Second Quarter Earnings

Why has Verizon stopped expanding Fios? I would love to have it come to my area.

The announced they were stopping as soon as the government announced the phone line fees would change from phone support to broadband support. Many at the time speculated that they stopped so that in the future they could ask for government $$ to continue.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is a transcript of todays DISH earnings call.

Dish Network Management Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

I know sometimes I get upset when DISH does things that has me thinking "what the hell" but if you read what Charlie says his way of thinking might sway you into his corner. Hes good at doing that. :)

Interesting read. Nothing ground shattering, but interesting nonetheless. They're definitely playing the cards close to the vest with regards to the Voom lawsuit and AMC. Whether they think they have a chance of winning or not, with this much money on the line, settlement is always a legitimate consideration.

I have actually been in his corner before but there were a few things of note that I don't agree with.

First, I get the whole "channel lineup may change at anytime" deal. But if you take away channels I'm paying for and then you say your cost structure has improved well DUH! I will say that Dish did a great job this time in offsets with credits etc. but at some point overall prices will go up and this will what, be just forgotten?

Second, he says he doesn't see people paying $2,000 a year for TV. Umm, that's $166 a month and before the recent credits I wasn't that far off ($149). Again I will say Dish is still cheaper for a comparable setup than alternatives but that was a bad analogy.

And lastly, the comment that he has had satellite since the beginning of time and as far as he knows no one in his house or who has visted his house has watched 1 second of those channels was a bit riduculous. There are certain things I know my family prefers over others but I could never make a blanket statement like that. And when did his family's viewing habits become a proxy for what his viewers really want. Actually, the whole "rural" aspect bothered me (can you say Red State-Blue State?) but sure explains losing MSG and SNY. You could never get me to watch Keeping Up With The Krapdashians but I acknowledge people do watch it (and yes even in my house). So I thought this whole line of logic was a bit off.

And lastly, the comment that he has had satellite since the beginning of time and as far as he knows no one in his house or who has visted his house has watched 1 second of those channels was a bit riduculous. There are certain things I know my family prefers over others but I could never make a blanket statement like that. And when did his family's viewing habits become a proxy for what his viewers really want. Actually, the whole "rural" aspect bothered me (can you say Red State-Blue State?) but sure explains losing MSG and SNY. You could never get me to watch Keeping Up With The Krapdashians but I acknowledge people do watch it (and yes even in my house). So I thought this whole line of logic was a bit off.

It is true to an extent. DBS has thrived in the country far more than the cities. Outside the large cities the cable competition is much weaker to not even being present. Not being political but the DBS saturation by county probably resembles the red by county map. Dish does have a different demographic than national average America. It is far more suburban and rural.

Around here everyone has satellite because cable is only available inside the city limits, and until last year only had 5 HD channels. This is prime DBS area. NYC on the other hand has obvious placement issues, and has mega cable/FIOS/Uverse/etc competition. But, NYC has the population of North TX, all in one city. So, if you take the TV watching habits of NYC and N. TX and average them you have a very different mix than where Dish has its stronghold. N TX has far more Dish customers than NYC proper.

Interesting read. Nothing ground shattering, but interesting nonetheless. They're definitely playing the cards close to the vest with regards to the Voom lawsuit and AMC. Whether they think they have a chance of winning or not, with this much money on the line, settlement is always a legitimate consideration.

I think a settlement is likely, but with the "we're like a dog with a bone" comment, I don't know - they may go all the way.

All the Cuban vs "some companies take the contract to dinner" talk makes me believe more now than ever that Charlie thought he had some sort of hand shake agreement or understanding on Voom that he feels they reneged on. It's just a feeling, I've never followed the Voom case that closely and don't know of any evidence to support the claim.

Charlie told me (and a number of other SatelliteGuys member) face to face that he likes working on hand shake agreements. He said that for VOOM instead of getting a call from VOOM and trying to work things out like gentlemen (and he was willing to work with them) that instead he was slapped with a lawsuit and then it was all hands were off the table.

Talking with both Charlie and Mark Cuban I honestly believe this is the way he operates. And in fact all my intereactions with him have been like that as well.

Talking with both Charlie and Mark Cuban I honestly believe this is the way he operates. And in fact all my intereactions with him have been like that as well.

Of that I don't really have any doubt. Worked with a lot of "Charlies" over the years, and he definitely strikes me as the hand shake type. They often take the hand shake agreements even more seriously than written, negotiated contracts. It's a more personal kind of interaction.

Of that I don't really have any doubt. Worked with a lot of "Charlies" over the years, and he definitely strikes me as the hand shake type. They often take the hand shake agreements even more seriously than written, negotiated contracts. It's a more personal kind of interaction.

It's also more an EMOTIONAL interaction. Which mean when Charlie feels slighted by the other person he has shook hands on , LOOK OUT!!! Talk about a woman scorned, Charlie is much worse to offend, then a woman. His scorn knows no limits. Look at the distant network lawsuits that took years to finish. DISH lost the right to carry distant networks and Charlie still sold distants through All American Direct on his satellite and his receivers and charged monthly rent to do so. Look at the long Tivo lawsuit that Charlie had to pay billions on ,because he wouldn't just pay to license the software he "borrowed" from Tivo. Now the whole Amc/cablevision/voom lawsuit comes up . I expect this to be settled ,but not in anyone else's favor but Charlie. Even if he has to pay billions to settle it , AMC and Cablevision won't come out with more viewers. Charlie is going to hurt AMC anyway he can. The continuing lawsuit and battle will cost AMC /Cablevision, in the amount of advertising revenue they will lose, due to lack of viewers from DISH. They admitted as much in their latest news story . They might be raking in the revenues now ,but long term it will hurt them. Hell, I can see Charlie allowing AMC coming back ,but not the other channels they carry, like WE ,IFC and Sundance. Anything to put the screws to them and hurt their business.

Dish's biggest worry which has been on alot of peoples mind for over a year now is the Disney/Espn Fiasco. Im interested to know when that contract is over. Cause its gonna get ugly..
My guess is Dec 31st this year.

I missed IFC, even when Dish was still carrying it. (The Independant Film Channel, that is. Not whatever IFC has turned into.)

I miss a lot of what many of the channels used to be. So many channels started out with great programming targeted to a niche audience. But if they are advertiser supported, they feel they always have to be "growing" that audience and eventually then start bringing in more shows that appear to the lowest common denominator and move away from the audience they were founded to serve. I could start naming names, but the list would get too long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)