Dish Antenna Advice / Help

abricko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Greater Los Angeles area.
I live in the Los Angeles area and I currently have a Dish 500 (110 & 119) & a standard roof top antenna coming into the house via a diplexer into my dish 311, I have a HDTV which i pull in all my local HD OTA, i'd like to upgrade to the 622 to gain dvr and eventually mpeg4 hd dish programming...

Do i need to add a second dish now? (i still have my original single dish antenna in the garage i could put back up)

if so what do i need besides the second dish antenna and some cable? and where should i point it?

any advice would help, i plan on buying the receiver online so i'll do the *additional* installation...

Point it at the 129.

If your Dish 500 has a Dish Pro Twin on it then you will either need to switch it to a Dish Pro Plus Twin or use a DP34 switch.

If you go the DPP route you can just feed the cable from the second dish into the input of the Twin LNB. You then can use the 1 cable to feed the 622 using a seperator. If you use the DP34 you will need three lines into the switch and two lines into the receiver. Either way you will need a DP LNB for the second dish.

Point the second dish at 129 and you will need to make sure your lnb's are of the same type { legacy or dish pro etc.} and a switch compatible with the lnb's to combine all the signals. The 622 will require two cable runs from the dish also instead of one.

or...

Or should i just buy a dish 1000 (or super dish?) and replace my current DP-Quad... I have a legacy dish and lnb in the garage, but i'd have to upgrade that to match the DP-Quad LNB so maybe i'm better off buying a dish 1000 or superdish and a separator?

Last edited:
if you have DP Quad then you have more then 2 receivers so you need DP 34 switch and DP Dual or Single LNB for second dish and then run second line to your VIP 622. or you can go to DPP 44 switch. then you don't need to run line to VIP 622.

volkodav said:
if you have DP Quad then you have more then 2 receivers so you need DP 34 switch and DP Dual or Single LNB for second dish and then run second line to your VIP 622. or you can go to DPP 44 switch. then you don't need to run line to VIP 622.
Well, you know what assumptions are. :cool:

The OP stated he has one 311. Lots of reasons why he might have a Quad, but it's not worth discussing.

I say abricko is right in thinking a D1000 is the right answer. :up

thanks for the thumbs

Yeah i figured it wasn't worth investing into / piecing together a few dishes... dish installer will come out and install a dish 1000 for me [i'm a new customer ;)] and i'll be set for the new mpeg4 content.... thanks for the input though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)